FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Veox

Resto shaman should i be doing more?

Hey im healing main raids now because our healer left.. but im doing terribly!! i want to improve so much, yes ive only healed like 4 raids but still.

how can i improve? will i get a giant improvement when i upgrade my trinket? or did i need to use spells more.

- I only healed some bosses - 

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-u7lfixgflg1tbgul/sum/healingDone/?s=1758&e=2026

character: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/arathor/alula/advanced

Hi there Veox,

We can go over your logs later when I have some spare time, but until then let's look at your build to see what you can do to improve there.

Firstly, I think that your trinkets aren't too bad and your ilvl in general is OK for the bosses you're healing. As you head into Heroic healing, you will find that it limits you. To give advice on what to aim for when gearing for Heroic progression, it might help to know what your regular healing team is.

I notice that you've not maxed either of your professions. You really do want to do that so that you can gain the benefits for raiding.

You also need to be working towards the Legendary Meta Gem (and cloak as well) as fast as possible. Once you get the LMG, your 30% Haste breakpoint will work wonders.

Are you finding that you run out of mana too easily? Are you just struggling to get enough throughput? Some more description of the problem would help.

I think that your reforging isn't bad, but you might find on the more intensive fights that you're low on mana. At 10k Spirit you might feel a bit thirsty, especially once you replace your Chi-ji trinket with Multistrike or Cleave.

Also just a warning - you're using Glyph of Water Shield at the moment. That's not optimal on all fights! You have to be hit several times a minute to get a net benefit from it, so on fights like Thok it's great but on Norushen or Protectors it's not so good.

Any more questions, just shoot. I'll run through your logs tomorrow if I can snatch the time.

ahh, I'll change the water sheild glyph, i heal with a paladin, and mana no im ushually fine as we have hymm of hope to call for as well,  i guess ill start working on the meta.

OK then, I'd say your build is great. When you move from the regen trinket to a throughput trinket, consider higher Spirit to make up for it. A reasonable alternative would be taking more Crit instead of Spirit. Keep monitoring the regen situation - you should be going all-out on the heals and leave yourself about 20% mana at the end of a fight (rough guideline, will vary fight to fight and likely have less on proper progress).

When healing with a Paladin, I find that going for more AoE burst is good. Do you switch into Ancestral Guidance for any fights?

It might also help to know whether you're using the inbuilt UI, or Grid or something, and whether you use clicks/targeted heals/mouseover macros. That can have a major impact on your healing.

I use grid, and no i don't switch into Ancestral guidace. :o.. im not even sure what it does. :P and yeah i ushually am nearly oom by end of a fight.. so my numbers are low just because of my gear? or my meta? or am i casting the wrong spells.. 

Quickly glancing over the logs I see that your ES uptime seems to be really low. Especially with the 2-set piece this should be a lot higher. Are you trying to keep it up 100% on the active tank?

I always use the Riptide glyph. It's an excellent way top keep the raid topped off, especially if you don't heal with a druid.

Do you make sure to use chain heal on targets with an active riptide?

Are you placing your Healing Rains to cover as many people as possible?

These are some general tips that don't necessarily show in the logs.

I'm surprised you don't go oom with only 10k spirit and 23% haste, but I guess your raid is making good use of CDs then.

But more importanly, why do you have the feeling you should do a lot more healing?

because im nearly doing half of other healers.. tongue.png i want to be on par.

I've not really been making sure about riptide chain heal, i am ensuring i heal rain everyone, and im 30% haste buffed.

Glyph of riptide is nice to have lots of dot heals.. Maybe ill try it smile.png i just feel the inital heal is nice on rip tide.

Sometimes i leave earth shield because tanks usually are pretty good on heath.

is 4 set worth it btw?

and should i be using unleash elements every time i healing rain?

Edited by Veox

You're not doing bad on all fights. The Sha fight might be skewed because of the gift of the titans buff. Make sure you keep healing rain up and you can take conductivity here. On IJ you might want to take the chaining glyph (I use it standard almost).

No matter if the tanks are good on health, you have to keep ES up as it is really efficient. Also, I use UE for every HR usually, but not sure if that's the best approach.

And yes, 4pc is definitely worth it from what I read.

I've not really been making sure about riptide chain heal, i am ensuring i heal rain everyone, and im 30% haste buffed.

If you can do it, do it every time. It's a massive throughput boost, especially when you have Ascendance or Ancestral Guidance up. The Glyph of Riptide is good, as has been said, and again especially so when you have a good use for Ascendance and Ancestral Guidance, since it gives you more really good targets for Chain Heal.

I don't switch into Ancestral guidace. ohmy.png.. im not even sure what it does. tongue.png

ability_shaman_ancestralguidance.jpgAncestral Guidance. Think of it like a second Ascendance. It copies and direct healing you do to several other targets, and it's extremely powerful when you can get everyone stacked up together. It's even got a nice short cooldown. It's good for fights with stacked-up heavy burst healing (Like Malkorok or Galakras).

and should i be using unleash elements every time i healing rain?

If UE is off cooldown, use it first. If UE is on cooldown and there's damage going out, don't wait. Waiting means someone else has to heal the damage.

is 4 set worth it btw?

On progress it's insanely good. Check out this thread for a discussion. Basically: burst is awesome, and the healing is free. It's totally worth it.

I should note that all these cooldowns take good planning to use, so make sure you know when to expect burst damage and plan to use your cooldowns appropriately. You should always think about when to use:

1. Ascendance
  2. Spirit Link Totem (it's awesome)
  3. Healing Tide Totem
  4. 4piece set bonus
  5. Your Elementals (assuming you have Primal Elementalist)
  6. Ancestral Guidance (if you took it for the fight)
  7. Elemental Mastery (if you took it. Tip: use it with Ascendance)

Some of them can be saved for emergencies if you think it's suitable (on fights like Dark Shaman this is sensible).

No matter if the tanks are good on health, you have to keep ES up as it is really efficient. Also, I use UE for every HR usually, but not sure if that's the best approach.

100% this. spell_nature_skinofearth.jpgEarth Shield even increases your healing on that target, so especially useful in emergencies.

I did have a look at your logs, but most of the time you were doing fine. Was it just that one fight you had problems on? Sha of Pride is a bit funny on Normal, throughput isn't a huge problem as long as your dispels are good.