FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Rosaelin

Resto Shammy Help/Insight

Hello all, my resto shammy is 562 geared, and I just wanted to make sure that I am getting all i can out of her. I run a Crit build and I am normally on top of our groups meters but I need to make sure that I am doing all i can. I want to get back to two healing every fight but it seems like we struggle when we do it. I have been looking at Epeenbot, and it seem that i am low in the percentiles on almost every fight. Thanks in advance for the help. 

Here is a log from a two heal run.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/b6uflvmd5b9mty8y/

Here is a three heal log.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/jst8ff77bg5dzunh/

Here is my armory link.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/aerie-peak/M%C3%A0kinrain/advanced

If you can give me any insight on something i am doing wrong or something i could do better I would appreciate it. 

Hi Rosaelin,

I'm afraid I'm raiding tonight so I won't be able to look at your logs until tomorrow. I looked at your armoury and I have a question; did you know that there's a "breakpoint" for the Legendary Meta at 30% Haste? I recommend to all Resto Shaman that they shoot for this once they've got the LMG. Essentially, it allows you to hard cast two spells during the proc window - once you learn to use this well, it saves you a bunch of mana and you can drop a lot of Spirit - I run with 12-13k (compared to your 19k!).

Heya Rosaelin,

Im by no means perfect in my healing but i can throw up a compare bot and see what we are doing different.

After looking at your gear i can see you are stacking a lot of spirit. Almost 20k. Do you feel you need that much? Are you ever getting close to running out of mana? If not then you can lower it and put those into more throughput stats. That will of course give you a lot higher healing. Other than that id say the same as stoove, try to get to 30% haste, it gives a lot of good stuff most of which is justified in the guides on this site. Rest i would personally put into crit but mastery is also good. Differences between the 2 have been talked to death so that is just up to you.

One more thing, the trinket you use nazgrim's insignia is pretty damn good while you have high haste with low mastery and crit but it scales terribly with increased gear (read increased mastery+crit) because as your regular heals get higher on average it will start to overheal a LOT. It used to heal somewhere between 3-6% on my fights but now it heals for something like 2-2,5% on average. It is obviously better than many other but if you can get your hands on the thok trinket for example that would scale better. (I still have nazgrim coz the other hasnt dropped yet :S)

Now having a look at the actual logs. I havent 2 healed those fights for quite a while, i did manage to find a log where i 2 healed those bosses. We can use them to compare. At the time i went through the fight i had somewhere between 440-445 item level and no legendary as can be seen.

Norushen: http://raidbots.com/comparebot/52b7570174254e300c000494#healing

Galakras: http://raidbots.com/comparebot/52b7580d74254ef66b0002a3#healing

The most obvious difference is healing rain. In norushen it healed for 33mil against your 3mil and in galakras 26 against 6. That difference is quite big and important because this is really 1 of our 2 biggest contributor in most fights. Make sure that you use healing rain with unleash life on cd unless you are in panic mode.

One pretty important thing (and easy to fix at this point) is that you are getting a lot less from ascendance then i am. This is very likely because you are not using healing rain enough. Having healing rain when you pop ascendance is pretty much a must. I also try to throw down healing stream to maximize this cooldown.

You are using the chain heal much more than i am and that is not a bad thing since it gives a lot of hps. Im getting a good deal more out of riptide but im using the riptide glyph so im blanketing the raid with it so this is expected. This is more a difference of play style so it is not as important.

I think ill leave it at this, at least its something to think about. Im sure that stoove can provide more details though :)

Dofri
  • Like 1

Dofri's advice is all very good. Learn everything from that! I don't have any recent logs at all from Normals so I'll use the comparebot links he provided. Bravo, that poster!

A little note on optimizing Ascendance - the best way to set it up is;

1. Pop Fire Elemental if you want to use it
  2. Riptide someone who will be in the stack
  3. Unleash Elements
  4. Healing Rain
  5. Use Spirit Link Totem if you want to use it now
  6. Now use Ascendance, macro it with Elemental Mastery or potions if you want to use them
  7. Spam Chain Heal on your Riptide targets
  8. When Healing Rain runs out, if you have Ancestral Swiftness then cast AS+HR. Otherwise keep spamming Chain Heal.

As you can see, it can take up to five GCDs to get your Ascendance set up! This is why it's essential to plan ahead and know when you're going to use it. I guarantee that will get you insane healing every time. I especially recommend Elemental Mastery if you're not so hot on Ancestral Swiftness.

It is obviously better than many other but if you can get your hands on the thok trinket for example that would scale better. (I still have nazgrim coz the other hasnt dropped yet :S)

Completely agreed with this. The only time you'd want Nazgrim > Thok is when your targets are extremely spread out so the cleave won't reach them. I don't know what the exact range is (and I can't test it since I don't have it!) but I'd guess it's roughly 10yds. So fights like Blackfuse, Spoils, or Juggernaut.

More analysis when I have slept some. Sha of Pride Heroic has been making me tear my hair out, we're underhealing it significantly and it's a nightmare.

This is looking a lot more "normal". Just make sure that you are still at a spirit level that you are comfortable with. Basically its all about having just the spirit you need but no more.

Looks like something I'd be happy with =)

This is looking a lot more "normal". Just make sure that you are still at a spirit level that you are comfortable with. Basically its all about having just the spirit you need but no more.

And no, I haven't slept yet. SSSSSH!

Had a few thoughts but looks like they have mostly been addressed, too much spirit I'm 8/14 HM run with 13k spirit and only drop mana tide to help other healers, If I could reforge more off I would, (only exception is dispell heavy fights)

Healing rain on cooldown if you can get more then a couple of people in it, even if no-one needs heals right now they will before it expires.

I wouldnt wouldnt stress too much about trinket choice or absolutly min-maxing assendence(pre HR though), no one will die while acendance is up anyway

I wouldnt wouldnt stress too much about trinket choice or absolutly min-maxing assendence(pre HR though), no one will die while acendance is up anyway

I agree about trinket choice, but not about Ascendance. The sheer throughput it gives if done right is awesome, and I've seen people die during Ascendance even when it is min-maxed. However, there are lots of fights (especially on Heroic) where there simply isn't time to min-max it.

Thanks so much for the help so far, I have been very happy with the mana changes, still not running out. And starting to be able to two heal all the fights that I want. 

Thanks so much for the help so far, I have been very happy with the mana changes, still not running out. And starting to be able to two heal all the fights that I want. 

Very glad to hear this! If you have an updated log, post it and we can give you some more feedback :)

OK so I only have a limited number of logs on Normal mode recently. Our guild raids 5h a week and that doesn't leave us a lot of time for farming after Heroic progress! However, this is my recent Normal logs for the bosses Sha to Seigecrafter. I don't have a lot of time this weekend as I'm seeing family, so you might want to go through the logs using Comparebot yourself. Here is the comparison of our Malkorok kills. A few quick things;

1. No Earth Shield uptime on your parse (at all!) which is odd, since it's in the Effective Healing tab. Don't worry about that.
  2. Good use of Healing Rain, but you could still do better!
  3. Most of your healing comes from Greater Healing Wave, which is fine, but be aware that Healing Wave works perfectly well for topping shields, and Chain Heal tops the melee much faster on this fight!
  4. You can actually see the effect of the above when you look at Multistrike; I'm getting double the procs per minute out of it that you are. I'd put this down almost entirely to Chain Heal.
  5. Healing Stream Totem - I don't use Rushing Streams on this fight! The reason being that HST isn't very clever on this fight, because you want to heal those on low shields, rather than hp. HST just heals people randomly if everyone is at max, and if they aren't then it heals exclusively the people on lowest hp, which isn't usually what you need.
  6. Instead, I use Ancestral Guidance for extra burst to get sheilds back up after a big hit.
  7. Did you cancel Healing Tide Totem accidentally? You only got 8 effective ticks from it!
  8. You can get a lot more healing out of Ascendance, especially if you pop it with Heroism at the start!

I know Malkorok is a bit of a funny fight, but it's worth looking at because it highlights just how much you have to change your spell usage between fights.

I hope that helps! smile.png

Thanks, I will look it too all of those things, and i have no clue why my earth shield didnt show up. My healing tide totem was at the very end of the fight, if i recall correctly, that maybe why is it showing up short. Thank you so much for all your help, and try solo healing sha it was a ton of fun.

My healing tide totem was at the very end of the fight, if i recall correctly, that maybe why is it showing up short.

Could be. I find it most useful towards the start of Phase 2 to make sure everyone's topped.

Thank you so much for all your help, and try solo healing sha it was a ton of fun.

You're absolutely welcome, especially if you stick around and help other people here :) I'll try 1-healing it if the opportunity arises (he's our next Heroic progress boss).