FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Funq

Thok healing. Optimizing P1

Hi all,

I have a question about optimizing healing during P1 of Thok (normal). My main alt is a resto shaman and I got called in to heal Thok, since our 2 healers were struggling (shaman and paladin). We're a very casual raid guild, having only recently downed Garrosh, so 2-healing is usually not an option (unless we get our best players all together).

My approach to Thok phase 1, especially the first one directly after the pull, is to crank out as much healing as possible by pretty much blasting all my CD's.

Here's my approach.

- I spec into conductivity, primal elementalist and Ancestral Swiftness

- I start by popping a healing rain and start blanketing the raid with riptide

- I use healing wave to heal inbetween screams and build HR/Conductivity stacks

- 10 seconds into the fight I pop my elemental, which should last throughout the phase

- When my HR runs out halfway through P1, I use UE+AS+HR to start a new round

- Use spiritwalker's grace to activate my 4pc.

- Ascendence + healing tide near the end

- Spirit link when healing tide runs out

Now this approack works pretty well, but I'm looking for optimization. What's your thought on the use of HT and SL totems?

I also find I have trouble fitting in single heals inbetween screams. Should I go for more haste?

Here's a link to my armory (logged out directly after our raid): http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/turalyon/Ashmin/simple

Unfortunately, no logs of the attempts (yet).

Edit: so I just found out that ascendence doesn't work with HT totem (doesn't surprise me, but wasn't actually aware). So I guess I'd be better off popping it with my second HR, as suggested in the sticky about SoO healing...

Edited by Funq

Everything you said is mostly right. Use ascendance with SL and not HTT. If you are struggling then I'm willing to bet its not your fault but someone else cocking up. It is a very very easy fight. Also, you can fit in a chain heal ALWAYS in between each screech if you start casting it the instant his screech goes off.

Personally, I always found it better to use either Ancestral Guidance for the extra burst cooldown, or Rushing Streams for the autoheals. You can't really push Conductivity to its limits on Thok, whereas AG and Rushing Streams are useful throughout the fight. Since you can always get a cast in between screeches, I didn't find recasting Healing Rain to be much of a problem.

Also, a little tip for Ascendance; you might not get many Chain Heals in, but always blanket the raid in Riptide while it's up.

Edit: so I just found out that ascendence doesn't work with HT totem (doesn't surprise me, but wasn't actually aware). So I guess I'd be better off popping it with my second HR, as suggested in the sticky about SoO healing...

Yeah, that's right. Likelihood is that if you're popping Ascendance and HTT together you've overhealing a lot anyway.

Use ascendance with SL and not HTT.

I disagree. SInce SL has a nice smoothing effect but also mitigates damage, I suggest timing it to pop right before one of the screeches. 

Thanks for the input. I'll have to look at the logs to see where my overhealing comes from.

I was wondering about conductivity versus rushing streams. Might give rushing streams a go. And I'll have to change my use of ascendence.

But anyway, I don't think the issue was my healing on this fight, but it was more to push my own performance. People dying to Thok during P2 is simply unnecessary :)

People dying to Thok during P2 is simply unnecessary smile.png

Well if they got instagibbed it's their own stupid fault! If they're dying to the poison DoT or something, Rushing Streams will help a lot actually.