Stan

Bungie Regains Publishing Rights for Destiny

24 posts in this topic

32896-destiny-2-open-beta-is-live-videos

Bungie today announced on their website that they're regaining publishing rights for Destiny. They thanked Activision for their partnership on the game and said they're ready to publish on their own moving forward.

Bungie (Source)

When we first launched our partnership with Activision in 2010, the gaming industry was in a pretty different place. As an independent studio setting out to build a brand new experience, we wanted a partner willing to take a big leap of faith with us. We had a vision for Destiny that we believed in, but to launch a game of that magnitude, we needed the support of an established publishing partner.

With Activision, we created something special. To date, Destiny has delivered a combination of over 50 million games and expansions to players all around the world. More importantly, we’ve also witnessed a remarkable community – tens of millions of Guardians strong – rise up and embrace Destiny, to play together, to make and share memories, and even to do truly great things that reach far beyond the game we share, to deliver a positive impact on people’s everyday lives.

We have enjoyed a successful eight-year run and would like to thank Activision for their partnership on Destiny. Looking ahead, we’re excited to announce plans for Activision to transfer publishing rights for Destiny to Bungie. With our remarkable Destiny community, we are ready to publish on our own, while Activision will increase their focus on owned IP projects.

The planned transition process is already underway in its early stages, with Bungie and Activision both committed to making sure the handoff is as seamless as possible.

With Forsaken, we’ve learned, and listened, and leaned in to what we believe our players want from a great Destiny experience. Rest assured there is more of that on the way. We’ll continue to deliver on the existing Destiny roadmap, and we’re looking forward to releasing more seasonal experiences in the coming months, as well as surprising our community with some exciting announcements about what lies beyond.

Thank you so much for your continued support. Our success is owed in no small part to the incredible community of players who have graced our worlds with light and life. We know self-publishing won’t be easy; there’s still much for us to learn as we grow as an independent, global studio, but we see unbounded opportunities and potential in Destiny. We know that new adventures await us all on new worlds filled with mystery, adventure, and hope. We hope you’ll join us there.

See you starside.

BUNGiE

With enough Chinese money, anything is possible.

In other news, the perpetual dumpster fire that has been the past 8 weeks for Activision makes me believe in global warming.

• Haha 1

Never played it. Tribes and Planetside was enough for this old man. :p

Too bad they didn't add any Destiny characters to HotS. That would have been funny at this point.

Edited by Morcalivan
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Dejo93 said:

Hope Blizz is next

Same i hope they cut out the cancer that is Activision before it`s to late.

• Like 1

I hope you do know that if Bliz goes down so do his games. What I don't understand is what does these mean: bungie will create content for destiny without bliz,with blizz, or they are just managing the game's expansions ?

28 minutes ago, XeaKon said:

What I don't understand is what does these mean: bungie will create content for destiny without bliz,with blizz, or they are just managing the game's expansions ?

Activision will continue supporting Destiny 2 but Bungie will develop and publish all the sequels on it's own (in Steam or Epic Games Store or on it's own store).
So basically Destiny 2 is in the same maintenance mode as Diablo 3 or HOTS

Edited by Steveson

Good for them. Seriously.

Does that apply only to future "Destinyes", or will I finally see Destiny 2 out of the "Blizzard" launcher?

Edited by lChronosl

8 hours ago, Steveson said:

Activision will continue supporting Destiny 2 but Bungie will develop and publish all the sequels on it's own (in Steam or Epic Games Store or on it's own store).
So basically Destiny 2 is in the same maintenance mode as Diablo 3 or HOTS

That's not true, D2 has at least 2 more "seasons"... And if this new content came without any "major monetization" (let's remember taht was Activision who wasn't happy with D2: forsaken numbers, not Bungie) it may be a good year for D2 after all

19 hours ago, Dejo93 said:

Hope Blizz is next

You guys do realize that the investment behind Bungie was made by the same NetEase that co-operates on Diablo Immortal?
But of course, I too hope that the Chinese will claim authority over Blizzard so they can make Diablo limited edition smartphones, have all the corpses and skeletons removed from the games and spy over us 24/7.
Oh wait. No, I wouldn't like that. I'd rather choose Bobby Kotick.

• Thanks 1

i wish blizzard could do this move to.. but they are already in the activision jail for life i think 😞

15 hours ago, XeaKon said:

I hope you do know that if Bliz goes down so do his games. What I don't understand is what does these mean: bungie will create content for destiny without bliz,with blizz, or they are just managing the game's expansions ?

Blizz owns the rights to the current destiny-s, but they will definitely not make the sequel, and most likely no more expansions will come out for destiny 2

5 hours ago, Badadada said:

You guys do realize that the investment behind Bungie was made by the same NetEase that co-operates on Diablo Immortal?
But of course, I too hope that the Chinese will claim authority over Blizzard so they can make Diablo limited edition smartphones, have all the corpses and skeletons removed from the games and spy over us 24/7.
Oh wait. No, I wouldn't like that. I'd rather choose Bobby Kotick.

Wow.. didn't realize until you said.. Oh *filtered* and they already invest at last year Jun $100m into Bungie. Now this really sounds much worse than Activision(>China).

12 hours ago, t3ramos said:

i wish blizzard could do this move to.. but they are already in the activision jail for life i think 😞

Blizzard is in a different boat than Bungie, besides both are cooperating with Netease now. Blizzard was and still is a studio with autonomy, but they were already a subsidiary under Vivendi Games. Activision Blizzard is a result of merging of holding companies (later Vivendi sold all it's assets they owned there). Activision Publishing Inc., which was a publisher for Bungie games, is a subsidiary of that holding, not to be confused as the same thing, just like Blizzard and King. Unlikely for Blizzard to suddenly change their status. 

Apparently Destiny 2's numbers were way below expectations, so they were probably more than willing to let them go. Any next Destiny title will be published on a different launcher.

Edited by Arcling
  • Like 1

With this recent news, what does this do for any additional content to Destiny 2? Is that solely going to be handled by Bungie now?

5 hours ago, Aggrodaumus said:

With this recent news, what does this do for any additional content to Destiny 2? Is that solely going to be handled by Bungie now?

We'll still get the year 2 stuff that was planned (of course, it's a season pass so it'd be REAL bad for them not to provide it) but chances are we won't really see a whole lot more Destiny 2 stuff before Destiny 3 at this rate. Otherwise ya it'll be handled by Bungie

• Like 2

They may realize some players only jumped on the Destiny 2 ship because it was on battle.net.  I'm definitely one of them.

First diablo, then hots now destiny. About damn time blizzard's actions caught up with them

Ps : waiting for the triggered fanboys.