Blainie

Impale Demon Hunter (Patch 2.6.4)

10 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Impale Demon Hunter build guide.

On 1/18/2019 at 5:43 PM, Guest DariSh said:

What is the difference between the lightning build and the cold build? lighthing is better?

Cold uses Frostburn and is likely the better choice this season.

4 hours ago, Blainie said:

And non season? are the same?

I think these comments have to updated to s16: "If high leaderboard position without strict adherence to the meta is attractive to you, consider using this build." and "It is not recommended for group Greater Rifts past the point where every party member can handle the content on his own".

On 1/19/2019 at 3:43 AM, Guest DariSh said:

What is the difference between the lightning build and the cold build? lighthing is better?

Cold fires all 3 daggers in a straight path (you get 3 daggers from the HPS quiver).  Because of this, it is directly affected by mob density.  If you have very good mob density, there is no limit to the number of monsters that can be impale.  In poor density, cold rune may only hit 2 or 3 monsters...

Lightning fires 9 daggers (3 daggers from HPS quiver, each dagger ricochets to 2 additional targets, so 3 + 6 =9).  Lightning rune can ONLY hit a maximum of 9 monsters, but effectively cannot hit less than 9 either.  

Why does this matter?  2 reasons.

1) hatred management.  Hatred management is much harder with cold than lightning (typically, you have less daggers hitting with cold than lightning, and thus, less chance of hatred being returned from hitting a monster twice).

2) AD (area damage).  Technically, with *very* good mob density, you can do a tonne of AD dmg.  AD has nothing to do with the distance between you and the target btw.  You have a flat 20% chance to proc AD.  You hit monster, proc AD, and *any* monster within 10 yards of the procced monster will suffer the AD (whatever your AD total is on your character).  Very good players want to generally be up close to the monsters so that all *3* daggers hit for critical hits on the 75k dmg on the single target, and hope that AD procs, and hope that there's great density around the victim monsters (10 yard radius), preferably an elite pack.  This is why herding with impale is a very useful skill to learn.  Cold can also aggro (aggravate) monsters better than lightning, meaning they will follow you once you've hit them.  Great for herding elite packs!  Not so good in a 4 man group...I suggest watching wudejo's most excellent YouTube video on AD mechanics.  

In theory, capping up, lightning generally means better hatred management, cold generally means theoretically higher dmg (courtesy of cold rune not limited to 9 daggers and AD proc where excellent mob density is present).  That's why most of the top players run cold/overpenetration and stack AD.  

Some other noted points of interest:

1) grievous wounds rune (physical) does *NOT* work with the 6 piece shadow set, only 2 and 4 piece.  It is not a bug, Blizzard have designed it this way (stupid really).  This rune is effectively the same as running NO rune for impale.  

2) it is possible for each dagger (of the 3 from HPS quiver) can do 75k dmg to the first target hit (which means, all of them COMBINED!).  The ricochet daggers (for lightning) do only the 6000% weapon dmg bonus, so significantly less).  This can severely boost the single target dmg (you MUST be right in the monster's face though!!!!).  

On 1/21/2019 at 9:39 PM, Blainie said:

Yes, and no.  

Wearing aquila's cubing chain of shadows and wearing witching hour does do more dmg.  Not by much, but by a bit.  The downside, is that you lose toughness/recovery.  Why?

Well...

1) lack of -dmg from ranged attackers on chest (it can't roll on aquila's from memory).  

2) lack of 15% health on belt (chain of shadows)

3) it seems to be rarer to get LPK as a secondary on aquila's than shadows mantle chest piece. 

You'll typically substitute AR (all res) on aquilas for % life (making up for the loss on the belt).  On the shadows chest, it's possible to get dex/vit/AR/LPK/-dmg ranged if you're lucky.  You'll prolly substitute emeralds in your chest piece sockets for diamonds for added toughness (losing DPS).  

But, aquilas/witching hour/cubed chain of shadows will do more DPS in s16 with the free RORG.  Prolly by about 5% (I haven't rolled it up in d3planner to fully confirm).  

Why go cold/frostburns in s16?  Well, you can keep your shadow chest piece (and get AR/LPK/-dmg ranged) and keep your chain of shadows too (for that 15% life).  Plus, frostburns has a % chance to freeze your target monster on hit, great for solo pushing CC (crowd control).  Slightly less dmg, but better toughness, and you'll need this imho, if you want to push above GR 120.  

I've done a GR 122 with my NS character, (no RORG), but it was very fragile and took a some fishing (~10 GR attempts or thereabouts).  A 123 is possible DPS wise, but toughness is a massive issue.  My NS paragon is only 2270 though...so very low when compared to many non-seasonal characters.  My gems were around 120, and augments between 100 and 108.  8 primals from memory, and some very good ancients.  If I had 6k paragon...a 125/126 would be doable for me, but alas...I am also playing on PS4 (console), so we have the retarded NG mechanic to deal with which hampers our clear times badly compared to the PC version of the game.  

s16, I have went the cold route with frostburns, at least until I get more paragon and full augments.  I'm a solo player, so it's much harder for me to get paragon/lgems/augmenrts and compete.  With that said, I finished s14 rank 12, and s15 rank 15.  Currently showing in the mid 50s for s16, but LBs on consoles are screwed (bug, showing s14 clears lol; Blizzard is both too stupid and lazy to fix it hahaha), but s16 has been a lot harder as many more players are playing DH, and most of them are grouping up, so I'm losing out even more via the solo vs group disparity...currently have done a 114 with 2 mins to spare, with a single lvl 50 augment, and missing 4 pieces as ancients...and, only p850 at the time of the 114 clear 4 days ago.  Now p935, already have a 110 augment in place, and working on 2 more 110 augments, so will have a crack at a 115 and 116 prolly tomorrow.  :-)

The guide is telling you to use grievous wounds rune for group play.

Why? If the rune does not benefit from the 6 piece of the impale set, why do you suggest the run with basically no rune?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.