FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Valks

Generator Monk (Patch 2.6.4)

Guest Wolfikygmr

Question: if you swap WotHF for cyclone strike with lefevre shoulders and bindings of the lesser gods will this build still do as much if not more dmg? Plus more defense?

I ask because I have both of those pieces of gear in ancient and primal.

The defense is great with the Spirit guards, I wouldn't switch those, and the Bindings of lesser gods is only for the Mystic Ally dmg. It doesn't provide much damage for the build. MA does nothing for dmg at medium levels in this build. Unless you mean the Inna's combo build, but that needs the shoulders from this set. 
The WotHF adds 5% extra dmg per enemy hit by the third strike. I don't want two generators, and do like Mytic Ally for that (Can switch between health or dmg depending on what I need more at the time in my build), and something else to replace Breath of heaven. Blind or another mantra if I'm allowed to have 2 at once passively. Am I? Maybe stick with Epiphany for toughness. But their idea is to hit as many enemies as you can with 3 strikes of WotHF to get a possibly massive dmg boost for 5 seconds, and then switch mostly to the other generator for 5 seconds. With a dashing strike every 4 seconds or so. I bet their extra dmg% buff generator in combo with the actual solid dmg generator is very important if used well.

For my generator I just use Fists of thunder - bounding light, it's 200% dmg for 2 strikes and 400% for the 3rd strike, the 3rd strike releases arcs of holy power which seem to be working very well. It's a very solid dmg generator with teleportation if need be. But I am early in my build, somehow got all ancients already but no dmg % for elements. So that could change what you want to use when you have better options that include the elemental dmg. 

But end game I think they have it right, once I'm maxed out I might try their 2 generator idea. 

For now, if you want cyclone strike it will add toughness with those shoulders for sure, and pull enemies closer for easier beatings (a good idea for me if I ever change my teleporting ways), but the spirit guards are much needed so the bindings of the lesser gods don't help, that's not enough offence. And the set has shoulders, so I don't know where you'd fit it in without the RoRG unless you are playing for this season. In which case they suggest the magefist for fire damage. Goes with their dmg generator. 

So I had a question before I got distracted. I was looking for the primary helpers from other classes, the awesome barbarian one, which I could not find, and the demon hunter one, which my xbox 1 version was telling me I could use.

Hunter's Wrath Hunter's Wrath

So that's what I'll use in my cube when I get my ancient spirit guards to wear.  I know it says demon hunter only on the site, but I always check for the ones that say primary skill instead of the name of the resource ( or any lingo that is for all classes) when I'm doing a primary skill ( or any applicable skill) build for another class. I will use the RoRG over the convention of elements anyways until I get perfect gear and want to progress further, but I imagine for your season of G notes, you should be using that in the cube, and wearing the Depth Digger pants instead of magefist! 

Also, wow that Inna's build makes a tonne of sense. get the 2 set Raiments bonus for 25% attack speed and 400% dmg for the generators. And instead of the useless 4 set bonus and the 6000% 6 set bonus to multiply that, you get the 10 Mystic Ally's X 750% for a 7500% bonus to ALL dmg, and all mantra's and ally's for way more dmg and toughness. Ok found my new goal then.... That's such a big difference that even the hunter's wrath which can no longer be used wouldn't make up for it. 

When I play this monday I should confirm if you guys haven't, and even check if the Thorns Crusader can use the Barbarian one, since maybe only the monk can use the demon hunter one ( I know I've looked for it before with the crusader before I had ever seen the barb one ) . Oathkeeper Oathkeeper  

Or is it possible there is a monk one I can't find. Would have to be similar, increased attack and dmg for primaries. I looked it up now, but could only find the Hunter's wrath for that.  I absolutely had the option in my cube for the monk in the armour slot. Didn't take in the name, just knew I could do that, or the toughness of spirit guards, which I took for now, or Depth diggers. I had ancient Depth Diggers, and wanted toughness, but check it out, it should be there for you guys and be much better than 20% fire dmg.  I'm convinced it is hunter's wrath, was similar if not exact in value.

Edited by Knutsanity

On 1/31/2019 at 12:13 PM, Guest Wolfikygmr said:

Question: if you swap WotHF for cyclone strike with lefevre shoulders and bindings of the lesser gods will this build still do as much if not more dmg? Plus more defense?

I ask because I have both of those pieces of gear in ancient and primal.

To answer your question without 30 pages of text. The dmg increases yes, if you use a mystic ally, but very negligible. Nothing really with this build on higher levels. Considering the WotHF is used for a dmg buff, if well used, your dmg would go down. The dmg reduction does not get better. 45-60% for spirit guards (plus it is a primary skill build, so it will always be triggered)  / 40-50% for Lefebvre's soliloquy (could probably do cyclone strike every 5 seconds fairly easily to always trigger it). You could do both dmg reductions for even better reduction, but you would need the RoRG and to give up the depth diggers/ convention of elements. 

Edited by Knutsanity

Also, and yes I am somewhat sorry to spam your entire forum. I like it here. Again, my buddy has the game not me, so I come here between gaming sessions to tinker my thoughts. 

The flying dragon in the weapon cube. Sounds great. I went with the furnace, and will wait until I hit a lull in progression to test the difference. But that depends on the "chance" to double your attack speed when attacking, and maybe for how long even. Unless someone can confirm for me that it's just way better, then I will switch it first things first. Obviously doubling your attack speed is double damage to everything, which trumps 1.5 times damage to only elites and higher. If it's all the time or most of the time then it's clearly better. 

EdiT** Checked it out, on google, imagine that, so the thread I found states that it's a 7 second duration and a measly 5% chance. But since my primaries will be around 2+ per second. Once it procs, that's 4-5 attacks per second. so 28-35 attacks per duration. It is said that it can take a bit to proc, especially with bad luck, but once it procs it can last for a long time, because it has so many hits before it has to re proc. SO it can go on for minutes at a time, you need almost bad luck to lose the proc once you get it, however it is somewhat inevitable it will end, the luck wouldn't need to be that bad. One guy suggested he can get lucky and have it most of a rift, or usually around half the rift. So yeah, it's better, I'll change it Asap. Sorry doesn't let me delete posts. Hopefully someone enjoys those specifics on here. 

Edited by Knutsanity

Sorry again, I was imagining things, thought for sure there was another generator bonus in the cube under the armour category. There is not. I was either remembering what I wanted to see, or just got confused by the Depth diggers, either way, my bad. I should've known you guys wouldn't miss that and already knew I can mistakenly remember things. And yeah Flying Dragon is a perfect choice in the weapon cube slot. It's almost always there for me so far and a world of difference (wish I could use it for my Thorns crusader). 

So I found my spirit guards, and put lefebvre's soliloquy in the cube. My toughness is great. I got fire dmg on my spirit guards so I switched to the Crippling wave Mangle rune for my generator. Without teleport on my generator, which was unreliable it seemed anyway, adding cyclone strike to pull them towards me was great. Every 4 or 5 seconds or so it is ideal dmg wise to Dashing strike, cyclone strike and then go ham on the generator for 4 seconds. So the dmg reduction bonuses take care of themselves. 

Super fun and monk like build. I died with my WoL monk, and will plug away with this for a bit, get really well rolled ancient WoL items back in storage before I switch back. 

Right now I'm doing Crippling wave, cyclone strike, dashing strike, Mantra of salvation, Mystic Ally, and epiphany. I think I'll keep the not that great Mystic ally and switch the rune between 20% life bonus, and dmg bonus depending on where I am in my build and GR Lvls and what's needed more at the moment. Think I'll maybe get rid of epiphany since teleporting and dmg reduction are becoming less necessary. Although since dashing strike goes right through your target, sometimes well past, it is real nice for ease of play. I can just get better at dashing strike and I won't miss it. 
So now it's a matter of what to replace that with, I might try your hundred fists 5 second dmg boost idea.

Guest Clarity

So I don't know who this Deadset person is, that being said I mean no offense at all towards him.

Using the links provided in the "About the Author" I see the following:

His most recent Twitter activity - a retweet from August, 2018.

His most recent YT activity - uploaded a video in November, 2017.

His most recent (viewable) Twitch activity - a video from January, 2018.

His Twitch channel is currently labeled "Hiatus until new Diablo content"

So did Deadset write and review this guide? This guide for Season 17, which started May 17th, 2019.

Did he just review instead? If so, why? It appears he hasn't touched the game since January 22nd, 2018.

I see that the guide is marked as though he reviewed it May 16th, but again, why? They appear to be out of the game (which I could be wrong about).

So are you just using his name for some kind of credibility? Or are you having guides reviewed by people who haven't played in 16 months?

Also, clicking the "comments" button on said guide brings you to this comment section, for "Generator Monk (Patch 2.6.4)", which claims the guide (or thread?) is by Blainie.  Regardless, zero visible input from this Deadset person. What is going on here?

@Guest Clarity

How come you are so deemed on them having to have played the game in public recently? There's a massive disparity between most people and people who live of the game, like Deadset.
Deadset has spent 1000's of hours to understand the game and different mechanics, so unless something fundamental changes about the game, he will still understand the mechanics of the game and all the spells and be able to theory craft builds.

Besides that, just because he hasn't been a public figure streaming and updating his public profiles, doesn't mean he isn't playing the game privately and testing the builds... He might just find the game tedious with the farming and grinding on stream

Edited by Suvivius

12 hours ago, Guest Clarity said:

So I don't know who this Deadset person is, that being said I mean no offense at all towards him.

Using the links provided in the "About the Author" I see the following:

His most recent Twitter activity - a retweet from August, 2018.

His most recent YT activity - uploaded a video in November, 2017.

His most recent (viewable) Twitch activity - a video from January, 2018.

His Twitch channel is currently labeled "Hiatus until new Diablo content"

So did Deadset write and review this guide? This guide for Season 17, which started May 17th, 2019.

Did he just review instead? If so, why? It appears he hasn't touched the game since January 22nd, 2018.

I see that the guide is marked as though he reviewed it May 16th, but again, why? They appear to be out of the game (which I could be wrong about).

So are you just using his name for some kind of credibility? Or are you having guides reviewed by people who haven't played in 16 months?

Also, clicking the "comments" button on said guide brings you to this comment section, for "Generator Monk (Patch 2.6.4)", which claims the guide (or thread?) is by Blainie.  Regardless, zero visible input from this Deadset person. What is going on here?

I'd like to clarify a few things:

1. Deadset is a theorycrafter and former streamer/content creator for Diablo 3. He has held a pinned thread on the Diablo subreddit for most Seasons since he started creating his megathreads, within which all of his builds are contained and often very well received by all of the people reading it there. He is very well known within the content community, but in recent times he has stepped away from the YouTube/Twitch side of things and prefers instead to host his content here on the site, in the written format we use.
  2. He still regularly plays the game and, prior to this season's release, spent the entire PTR phase relentlessly testing and adjusting the builds as necessary. For writing guides, the live version of the game is actually very rarely important. The PTR phase is the point when any changes will happen to builds and, given the demand of users, the builds have to be updated before the season starts. Diablo is well known for almost never making any changes, unless something is broken, during the season, in case they ruin the leaderboards.
  3. We are using Deadset's name for the credibility it brings within the Diablo community, given that he is well known for his accuracy and precision, as well as having him write and review all the Diablo content. 
  4. The thread is started by me, not Deadset, given that I handle much of the forums and community-side stuff for Icy Veins. Deadset focuses on the guides and the accuracy of the content, while I focus on ensuring that feedback is passed on and stuff like thread creation is done when needed.

Hopefully this clears up your questions. 

• Like 1

1) In the speed farming variant page Avarice Band is the recommended jewelry cube power, with no alternatives. Is this recommended also if one wears the Witching Hour instead of Goldwrap? Also, why Avarice Band is described as an alternative (with SoJ) to replace Focus+Restraint if it's already recommended in the Cube?

3 hours ago, Elekim said:

1) In the speed farming variant page Avarice Band is the recommended jewelry cube power, with no alternatives. Is this recommended also if one wears the Witching Hour instead of Goldwrap? Also, why Avarice Band is described as an alternative (with SoJ) to replace Focus+Restraint if it's already recommended in the Cube?

If you are using F+R, you want to cube avarice to suck in as much gold as you can, feeding into the Goldwrap. If you equip avarice with Stone of Jordan, you have a free cube slot, which can use to your likings. My recommendation would be Band of Rue Chambers, increasing your spirit regeneration for faster shenlong activations, or convention of elements for a nice damage boost. 

Can someone give me a general idea of how to play this build?

I've gotten all the gear pretty optimized besides a few of the single resistances not being physical.

It does damage, but it seems like a glass cannon. I keep dying in Torment 16 and I don't think I am using the skills correctly or in the correct order.

Guest Hannibal King

Hello, on the Monk Raiment Shenlong Generator Build With Crippling Wave Build, the Greater Rift Inna variant doesn't show any Inna's gear. It still shows the Raiment gear. Was the gear supposed to stay the same, or should I switch the raiment gear to Inna's?

Is this build, without cyclone, just meant to dash everywhere because of the amount of spirit gen? The description says "control heavy" but there is literally zero mob control (if that's what is being referred to?) in this build what-so-ever without at least cyclone. I find myself having to switch out Hundred First for cyclone for mob control.

Edited by Hellaciouss

Pardon my mess of wordwall..is difficult for me .. not make excuse trust me)

I also wonder for Inna mangle based one, does this also use the same Gems (greater) 
i.e
Simplicity strength - bane of trapped - bane stricken ? 

seems some cross information between the builds could have used a bit more "love and care" for folks like myself that are not "new" but very easy confused better part of last few years

?

Thank you for the posters that made the build able for me to try my hand in enjoying time I have playing D3 with friends I have left (my small clan) and solo play

Appreciated very much 

rest seems so far work very very well (I have 4 part (5 with RoRg) of Raiment 2 of Inna

that is,
boot and belt        Inna
head - hand - legs - shoulder - torso       Raiment
spirit bracer (ones listed)
depth in cube
no weapon cubed (yet) saving bounty stuff for worthwhile to cube there
(take a long time find..got real lucky quick on every other thing IMO however.....

wearing (for now)
ring Zodiac + bull kuthor
yellow something amulet..was pig sticker + Doobringer  swap pig for a yellow blade (better than pig  sheet wise .. hard tell game wise )
very potent so far

raiment work very well (best can try thus far) not pushed see GR can handle (yet) pure raiment (boot Inna as they better - belt same .. give me 6 part Rai 3 part Inna
(if recall top of my head, have 3 sets save armory, one as Inna, one mixER (Inna-Rai) and pure Raiment (future reference)

makes monster melt, my paragon very very low (sub 80 right now)
season just started of course ^.^

when time things right, even bosses few hit Tor 6-7 disappear, livability is awesome as well (provided I step out of danger, as elements still hurt a chunk .. working on it)

my stuff is NOT spec as should be either (must get real lucky.. my barb last season near spot on what should have been)

I can only imagine when it is closer to "as listed"

I know my wand of Woh based wizard (after I tweaked) very nasty good (though many seasons old, timing is everything, I find that out stupid fast ^.^

Edited by DaXile
I had to fix typos and such a few times (bad eye)

How high of a GR should this build be able to push Solo, if used/built correctly? I am using this build and enjoying it but currently I can't go much higher than GR 60 solo. Especially survivability seems to be a problem. I'm around Paragon 500, this is my current character: https://eu.diablo3.com/en/profile/XorceR-2725/hero/127698585

In Jewelry cube I have Ring of Royal Grandeour.

For survivability I've added Near Death Experience and Crystal Fist (Cube)

Guest Confused

I'm very confused about what the in the hell this paragraph is talking about:

the build does not say to use "Seven-Sided Strike"  nor  "Serenity" 
So, someone please help me retain my sanity by explaining this. 

Thanks!

"To clump up enemies for the convenience of your Seven-Sided Strike Seven-Sided Strike and to maximize Assimilation Assimilation stacks, you will be using Cyclone Strike Cyclone Strike with one of the longest range pulls in the game — the 34-yard Implosion Implosion rune. If you prefer to have a failsafe instead, an alternative for this slot is Serenity Serenity: one of the most potent defensive skills in the Monk arsenal, allowing you a brief window of invulnerability on a reasonable 16 second base cooldown. Note that the downtime begins after the active effect expires, preventing permanent uptime exploitation. If you choose to go with Serenity Serenity, take the longer lasting Ascension Ascension rune.