FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Ariecho

Stat caps?

Uncommon Patron

Hi everyone!  I just returned to WoW after a two-year hiatus.  I reached 120 and am now focused on making sure that I have the right stats.

Question: Is there a soft and a hard cap on mastery (or any other stats)?  As a frost DK, I have now reached 42% and am wondering if I should still keep seeking more or if I should start "leveling" the secondary stats?  

Thanks in advance.

32 minutes ago, Ariecho said:

Question: Is there a soft and a hard cap on mastery (or any other stats)?

None that are realistically reachable.

Be careful when stacking stats. The more points of rating you have in a certain stat, the less each additional point will be worth compared to your other stats. The right mix of secondaries is important. The website Bloodmallet shows a good graphical representation of this.

Also, any stat priorities you see in guides or charts are only rough pointers at best. The best thing to do is to regularly sim your personal stat weights with raidbots. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ultramaster said:

One more question you mentioned using raidbots what are they specifically?  I have heard the term before  but I am not sure what this means.

raidbots is a website that simulates your character in a combat situation. it's essentially a more accessible version of SimulationCraft. It can help you compare different pieces of gear, different talent builds, generate stat weights, or just get some quick potential DPS numbers to see how bad you are at the game :^)

Right now it only works with damage dealt (so you can use it if you want to optimize a tank/healer for more DPS). When it comes to tank survivability or healing things get very variable-dependent and almost impossible to simulate. There is an addon called Healer Stat Weights which generates it's numbers on a fight-by-fight basis, but it's not something that should be blindly trusted.

• Like 1

I really like the way Bloodmallet displays stat distributions. It makes sort of a hot/cold grid to give you and idea of what stats are going to be best for your class, and also if you hover over a point it will tell you the  raw stat numbers, and the simmed dps at that spot.

So like, if you look at Frost dk: https://bloodmallet.com/index.html#death_knight_frost?data_view=secondary_distributions

Frost is really interesting. Most sims will tell you Mastery is your best stat, and on a pure 100% mastery vs 100% crit vs 100% haste basis Mastery is the best. but when you look at the stat weights in a grid you'll actually find that the best sim dps is a combination of mastery and crit, and even a little bit of haste doesn't hurt too badly as long as you don't have it on more than 2-3 pieces of gear.

• Like 2