Ehiztari

Prot Warrior Rotation Documentation

6 posts in this topic

At the risk of being off-topic, before I get started I want to add the red-on-deep-purple-or-blue-or-whatever-this-is text on this page is utterly illegible to anyone with colorblindness. I get a blurry glimmer that something is there, but I have to highlight it by selection to see the text.

It would be a good thing if someone in charge of the web page formatting would take a look at the standards for human interface design and opt for a bit more contrast there. Deep red on virtually ANY dark color is a no-no.

On to the topic at hand:

I'm aware that you have very competent experts in different classes, specs, and roles.

I'm becoming aware that being an expert in those things doesn't necessarily translate to being an expert at what amounts to technical writing.

The Protection Warrior Rotation Priority article is a hot mess.

1. This
  2. That
  3. The Other
  4. And Another

But when X do Y and of course Z comes before the rest of it, and always do K and R and Q ....

A full priority list is not that difficult to set up, even with conditions on some of the priorities and it would greatly help readability if that page were ... I dunno the polite word for "unscrewed" but imagine that there is one.

1. K (on cooldown)
  2. R (on proc only)
  3. Q (if you have enough rage)
  4. This (except if That is about to come off cooldown)
  5. That
  6. The Other (always on cooldown unless spec'd for Z)
  7. And Another (only if you won't cap rage)

Putting the conditions with the actions and adding ALL of the actions in the rotation is far more clear.

Obviously, I'm talking model rather than specifics here. I'm not the expert on Protection Warriors. I am, however, an expert on technical writing.

I'm also available to anyone who has the information they want to present but recognizes that they may not have the skills to present it well.

15 hours ago, Ehiztari said:

A full priority list is not that difficult to set up, even with conditions on some of the priorities and it would greatly help readability if that page were ... I dunno the polite word for "unscrewed" but imagine that there is one.

The thing about Prot Warrior as well as other tank specs is that their priorities aren't as clear-cut as a DPS spec's. It's always about decision making based on the situation you find yourself in. For example, putting Demo Shout at the top of the priority list completely ignores the fact that it can be used both as a DPS and a defensive cooldown. While the guide says it should be cast on CD (with Booming voice), there are gonna be plenty situations where you want to save it. Treating it seperately from the rage generating rotation makes sense.

Personally, and this is really just my opinion, I find the presentation in the Prot warrior guide much easier to follow than the 15-point priority lists with countless whens and ifs you can see in the other guides. But hey, I'm not an expert ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by jinsu2301

I'm not expressing "opinion" here - the document as written lists, for example, four actions in the single-target rotation and then goes on to say "always this first" and "of course this after this" - if those things need to be in the rotation, they need to be expressed as part of the rotation.

It isn't necessary to have a "15-point priority list" to take the six or seven actions that are given, four in a list, three in the paragraphs that follow and put them all in a common format.

Six or seven items in a list rather than four in the list and three or four in the following paragraphs would be far simpler to read than what is there now.

Edited by Ehiztari

I do understand what you mean. It is easier to have a list than a written text (i think thats what you mean, isn't it?). In kind of a defensive playstile, a priority-list (not rotation!) would look like this:

1. Cast Shield Block IconShield Block on cooldown.
  2. Cast Demoralizing Shout IconDemoralizing Shout on cooldown (when using Booming Voice IconBooming Voice talent).
    • Otherwise hold it back when big hits are incoming or high movement-situations.
  3. Cast Ignore Pain IconIgnore Pain if current rage > 30 and Ignore Pain's aura is absent.
  4. Cast Avatar IconAvatar on cooldown.
    • There are very few situation where you would hold it back to remove root/snare.
  5. Cast Shield Slam IconShield Slam on cooldown.
  6. Cast Thunder Clap IconThunder Clap on cooldown.
  7. Cast Revenge IconRevenge on proc.
  8. Cast Devastate IconDevastate.
  9. Cast Last Stand IconLast Stand and Shield Wall IconShield Wall when big hits are incoming (try not to pair them, often it's a wasting).

But as jinsu2301 already said, tanking is much more decision-making than healing or DPS. All the text written in the guide is to explain how you do good decisions.

Edited by Allseye

Hi, Ehiztari! The post above by Allseye should greatly clarify things with regard to what order to press your buttons in, but as has been stated before, tanks these days do not have so much a rotation as a priority, which is constantly changing based on your health and active mitigation (along with those of your co-tank), cooldown usage and availability, boss positioning and movement requirements, instructions from your raid leader, and what is happening in the fight, all under time pressure and continuously filtered on the fly by your best judgement.

It's a lot to take in, and if you need a helping hand, these two addons can help considerably:

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/ovale

and:

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/ovale_tankscripts

They're by no means perfect or all-inclusive, but they do a decent job at assessing the situation and quickly suggesting the right buttons to press if you ever feel flustered. They also help build an understanding of how various abilities interact and synergize with one another, so after using these addons for a while, it becomes quite easy to play proficiently without them, which is always the goal.

On 1/26/2019 at 2:52 PM, Larssen said:

Hi, Ehiztari! The post above by Allseye should greatly clarify things with regard to what order to press your buttons in, but as has been stated before, tanks these days do not have so much a rotation as a priority, which is constantly changing based on your health and active mitigation (along with those of your co-tank), cooldown usage and availability, boss positioning and movement requirements, instructions from your raid leader, and what is happening in the fight, all under time pressure and continuously filtered on the fly by your best judgement.

It's a lot to take in, and if you need a helping hand, these two addons can help considerably:

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/ovale

and:

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/ovale_tankscripts

They're by no means perfect or all-inclusive, but they do a decent job at assessing the situation and quickly suggesting the right buttons to press if you ever feel flustered. They also help build an understanding of how various abilities interact and synergize with one another, so after using these addons for a while, it becomes quite easy to play proficiently without them, which is always the goal.

I generally disadvise to use any addons with preset priority-recommendations as tank. But i think your right, to get a basic understandig it can be helpful. But as soon as there is a basic understandig, i recommend to drop such prefab ratation-helper. Instead i recommend to use some weakauras (or tellmewhen) icons to show uptime of shieldwall, last stand and shieldblock. In addition, I recommend to use a icon for IP-casting...but keep it simple.

Such addons with prefab rotations/priorities usually can't assess the situation, they don't know boss mechanics and when you have to save rage/shieldblock charges and so on. As protwarrior, we learn what the ability does and learn a fight. We are mitigation-tanks, so we have to preplan when to use what. No addon can tell you that in a good way :-).

In my opinion protwarrior is a fun class, i like it alot. But it's probably harder to master than any other tanking class. This is why there is so much text in the guide. Marok has  done a really good work with it and he covers so many aspects. But thats where it gets hard to understand. This is why there is an "Easy-Mode"-section to keep it clean for beginners.