FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Hurricane07

Splitting Ice vs Comet Storm

Hello!

Doing some research before our guild raid tonight (Stormwall Blockade) I was curious to see whether the top frost mages were using Comet Storm or Splitting Ice for the fight. The guide here on Icy-Veins states that Comet Storm would be more viable, but I always like to check logs to have a comparison. I found that most mages, especially the top ones, are using Splitting Ice. This made me curious, so I checked the top logs for Grong, which also stated that most top mages use Splitting Ice instead of Comet Storm.

Why is this? Unless I've missed something vital, I see no reason to use Splitting Ice on a single target fight except for the 5% damage buff to Ice Lance. Is this actually worth it over Comet Storm?

My understanding is splitting ice is for sustained cleave only, which that fight has basically none. The only time it would be helpful in blockade is to glacier spike an add right next to the boss, but the idea is to not let them get that close.