FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Pyrae

571 Holy Priest - HPS Issues?

I have been playing as a Priest for years, and recently I have been told that my performance is sub par on the meters. I am currently going after the evenly stacked holy build. Haste cap while crit and mastery are close to even.

Here is a link to my armory
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... rae/simple

Now I have already gone over my logs and have asked the other priest that I raid with. I do not see much of anything wrong except my 75 talent on some fight I should run DI instead of ToF. Is there anything that I am missing in terms of my healing/healing output?

Here is my most recent log
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-o8tbxavpg26uusz0/

Now some fights I have been trying disc out to help my guild out but I have not been very good at it. If you would like to comment on those logs that would be great!

First of all, unless there is GROSS discrepensy between two players, healing meters really don't mean jack sh- (it's surprisngly hard not to swear.) 

Anyway.  Disc priests always do very well on healing meters because we cause so many shields, not all of which are used, but even if they're not, they still count as helpful.  And even if they're all getting used, shields are preventative, so the incoming damage is being preemptively "sniped" before you could have possilby done anything about it anyway.  Which isn't to say Discs are bad or padding the meters(usually...): anything they prevent accidentally is less damage done to the raid that other healers have to expend mana to heal, but it does mean that dumb people look at the meters and draw bad conclusions... frequently.

All that being said, I don't know much about holy.  I'm disc because I feel that disc > holy no matter the situation, with the obvious exception of Malkorok. 

Anyway, tell whoever is bitching at you to shove it, healing meters are an utterly worthless metric unless you're playing the same class and the same spec (and in the same raid group.)

If you want to direct your RL to this post, let me know and I'll edit it for PC.

EDIT: I just noticed, the Log you linked to, and most of the fights from that same night, are you as Disc.  Your title is now confusing and I am confused.  Further, your armory... is that your disc gear or your holy gear?  Because your gemming choices are EXTREMELY suspect.

I was disc for siegecrafter since i have been asked to try it out, and as for my armory il log out in my holy spec, I was doing lfr to try to learn disc smile.png

Edit: Forgot i also tried disc for paragons (you can see my obvious lack of talent) Here is a full night of me as holy. Sorry for the confusion, I was asked to try to learn disc for when we need it so i tried it on our normal farm kills.sad.png

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-zw2qi3zsuy2vwv1b/

Edit once more: The gemming is for holy, I have no disc gear and currently do disc in my holy gear :/

Edited by Pyrae

Your heals are basically where I'd expect them to be as Holy.  For Galakras, I assume you went to the towers while he stayed downstairs?

I heal the adds on the side while the druid goes up as well as the 2nd healer of choice for tower two.

Meh.  I dunno then.  Hopefully some holy priests still come to this forum and can give you some advice. 

Going to bed after this but I am curious why you're skipping out on some of your socket bonuses.  I feel like you could activate them, and replace the stats you're "losing" through reforging, and come out where you are now plus 60 spirit and int. 

Oh.  What food and flasks are you using?

As brutalpriest said, as long as you're not grossly behind the rest of the healers and your group isn't dieing because of healing problem, meters don't mean shit.

Use the logs to see how your playstyle stacks up with other priests and see if you can make small adjustments.

Holy priest in my opinion is one of the only specs that can be played outrageously different between players and still do just as well. There are of course a few things that should be on top of healing (such as t90, pom, coh, poh, etc) but really it's up to you comparing your self relative to the other healers per fight to know if you're playing correctly.

Your healing doesn't look subpar at all. I don't like the crit gemming, but that's more about your style than actual output.

Some minor things i noticed:

- Binding heal is awesome. If you need to heal yourself use it and get some serendipity :)

- I see you use quite a bit of PW:S - I tend to find it a waste of mana, especially with a disc priest in your raid. I f you want to move faster, getting used to Angelic Feather will pay off.

Also:

Anyway, tell whoever is bitching at you to shove it, healing meters are an utterly worthless metric unless you're playing the same class and the same spec (and in the same raid group.)

Feathers alway!!! They are so good. The only reason you should use body and soul in my opinion is when a tank or specific person needs a speed boost and you can't pre plan Feathers.

Your healing looks fine to me, although it does look like you aren't using your set bonus procs much, only 21 procs of the 4set on  an 11 min galakras fight seems a bit low. 

And unless people are dieing and/or the raid is wiping because of a 100% provable healing issue then there is no reason to call people out on meters, some classes have the obvious advantage on some boss fights.

Also healing for all kills for the log http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-zw2qi3zsuy2vwv1b/ you were 2nd so just because your heals seem "low" some fights doesn't mean you are being subpar.

OP,

I agree with the theme everyone else is throwing at you.  Meters don't mean as much.  People don't die, bosses do, healers win.  Just looking at your two most recent Heroic kills.  If you want to beef up your numbers, take ToF talent and tap the adds to keep its uptime close to 60%.  You're not using anything so much that you need Haste.  Undo all your Haste reforging and get more mastery and crit.  Those two changes will give your meter bar the Little Blue Pill.

• Like 2

I made an account just to respond to this. I think your healing looks just fine. In my opinion, if your raid leader is comparing disc and holy together then he's an idiot. I think holy priests are a weak at the moment, especially when you think about them not having a raid cd like disc (PW: Barrier, Pain supp, etc). In my experience, you can't compare holy priest to any other class but holy priest since Shamans and Druids are just so good this xpac/patch. 

Honestly, just keep doing what you're doing. Like everyone else has said numbers are just numbers at the end of the day. Dead Bosses are really what matter.

Thanks for all the replies! I sort of lost my way! I did put some new weak auras together to track my meta, two and four set, so i can always work on improving :) and also changed my gems and reforges back to haste to the breakpoint then stack mastery. I do really appreciate all the replies.

• Like 1

@ T2tehimeless: Holy does have 2 powerful raid CDs -- Divine Hymn, just as powerful as a tranq. And they also have Guardian Spirit (it may not be a damage reduction CD but it can save a tanks life). So, in regards to "not having raid CDs", they do.

Edited by Kaelani

- I see you use quite a bit of PW:S - I tend to find it a waste of mana, especially with a disc priest in your raid.

If there's a Disc in the raid I would treat PW:S as if you didn't have it on your bars. Disc bubbles are stronger, and by placing your weaker shield on someone still applies weakened soul preventing the disc to throw a stronger shield on. So not only is it wasted mana, but also potentially wasted absorbs too.

i used to play disc because being powerful was fun, but then i swapped holy because Holy DI procs are the coolest shit ever. it's so much more fun than smite spam. i have found that to get good heals as holy you have to maximize divine hymn usage. one trick on high movement fights is to guardian spirit yourself and then divine hymn, you cant be killed even if you stand in fire. another thing to keep in mind is that if you tell the other healers to ease up at the start of the fight you can hymn in the first 30 sec and then you will get more hymns in the fight.

i also find it very entertaining to try to get huge Greater Heal crits on tanks with serenity. if you take FDCL just get your heals out onto the raid so your mastery blankets everyone and then sneak a flash heals in. after the first flash serenity the tank with aggro and flash again and then greater heal. ive gotten greater heal crits over a million and then they get 200k+ echos of light.

i like to have around 20k spirit and then just as much haste as possible. the haste makes your echos tick a bit faster and have more of a chance of being used.

if you havent tried Holy DI though, its awesome.