FORUMS
Leonmorte

What has happened to this site?

I started coming here for all my out of game hearthstone needs back in 2016 or 2017, and to see how far the drop in content has been in just those two or three years is disappointing. None of the decks have been updated for the most recent patch, heck most are still running builds from Boomsday with minor updates, and even those updates are outdated. This used to be my go to site if I wanted inspiration for a deck. now i just sporadically check to see if you have the rare news update, if I even do that. what happened?

• Sad 1

Well I am new here so I don't know what it was like 2-3 years back. However I still find this site very informative.

Yes, even I have noticed that a lot of the decks, especially budget ones, are out-of-date by a card or two and perhaps the moderators should have a 'Spring Clean' and update stuff, but it is a big site and if it is like any other site  pertaining to a game 3- years later then support will have dropped - I'm thankful for the few who do frequent the site and answer questions and help.  (you should see some Rift sites, 5+ years without an update).

If you consider as I have had between 250-570 views of my posts, it shows the website - in itself - is not dead, but then if you look at the replies I get, there are 4 active people.     I don't know if they are moderators or just long-time players   but I am thankful to them.

I think it's just a lethergy, probably most of these people have been playing Hearthstone for many years and can't simply be bothered to write anything, So again I am pleased that a few do.

Whereas I would indeed like it if a moderator or two would go through the decks and upgrade them to 2019 level, I think that as long as the site is here and is still helpful, that's good enough.

The only obvious point is after the next rotation, a lot more decks will be out-of-date, and perhaps some would be unplayable, it is a point that I hope the moderators are considering.

Edited by Sleete
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Leonmorte said:

None of the decks have been updated for the most recent patch, heck most are still running builds from Boomsday with minor updates, and even those updates are outdated

What list do you think is outdated? Most of the meta decks are basically the same as they were before Rastakhan's Rumble. Its not exactly website's fault.

6 hours ago, Leonmorte said:

This used to be my go to site if I wanted inspiration for a deck

This site has all meta decks still. If you are looking for an inspiration from user made decks, yeah, IV doesn't have it. But you can just share a list, and see what people thinks. 

7 hours ago, FanOfValeera said:

What list do you think is outdated? Most of the meta decks are basically the same as they were before Rastakhan's Rumble. Its not exactly website's fault. 

So you're saying everyone still plays secret hunter? That odd mech paladin is somehow still a thing? That Even Warlock is a deck you run into a lot? How about the fact all the paladin decks run two equalitys, which this site hasn't even updated to the new mana cost? Used to be, two or three days after a patch every deck was looked over and updated, or at least the ones that were most prevalent in the meta, and if a deck had taken a class by storm, chances were you could come here and see their spin on it, maybe even have a budget version up. So don't tell me the meta hasn't changed enough for an update to at least 80% of the decks on the site, not to mention the inclusion of at least the new beast hunter meta deck.

https://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/midrange-hunter-deck-list-guide

The beast hunter you mentioned?

I didn't notice that they haven't updated the mana costs yet though. You are right about that. Interesting thing is, Flametongue Totem and Cold Blood has their mana costs upgraded, while the others are not. 

This website doesn't have a Tier list, so it doesn't necessarily show what do people play. They just have all lists, except some which seems missing (Wall Priest and Mecha'thun Warlock).

And yes, people still play even warlock. Not very often, but I still see it when I play, or on streams.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sleete said:

Yes, even I have noticed that a lot of the decks, especially budget ones, are out-of-date by a card or two and perhaps the moderators should have a 'Spring Clean' and update stuff

This usually happens when a rotation comes by, as it invalidates most of those decks, so they are removed if they are no longer viable at all, as opposed to being very niche, which is what most of the sporadically updated decks are.

13 hours ago, Sleete said:

If you consider as I have had between 250-570 views of my posts, it shows the website - in itself - is not dead, but then if you look at the replies I get, there are 4 active people.

Admittedly, Icy Veins' Hearthstone forums are not really in a great shape compared to what they used to be. There used to be over 200 posts every time a new set would come out, and that doesn't even include the news section. Sadly that drop just went across the board, so now the only active HS forum I can think of is Hearthpwn, and even they are seemingly less active than they used to (could be just nostalgia in this case, though). 

Also, by medorators in your post, do you refer to deck authors? (At the moment, that's just Kat)

2 hours ago, Leonmorte said:

So you're saying everyone still plays secret hunter? That odd mech paladin is somehow still a thing? That Even Warlock is a deck you run into a lot?

The problem isn't that the decks at the top do not rotate, but that regardless of where a deck is, it stays the same for too long, as the meta just does not change nearly as much at the end of the rotation, and the decks are very refined.

2 hours ago, Leonmorte said:

How about the fact all the paladin decks run two equalitys

If you check out high legend paladin decks (for example the #1 legend from NoHandsGamer), you will see that they still often run at least one copy of Equality. The card is still useful even after being hit by a big nerf simply because of how strong it used to be.

3 hours ago, Leonmorte said:

which this site hasn't even updated to the new mana cost

Sadly, we do not host our own cards, so we need to wait for our source to update them before we can get the updated version ourselves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, positiv2 said:

f you check out high legend paladin decks (for example the #1 legend from NoHandsGamer), you will see that they still often run at least one copy of Equality. The card is still useful even after being hit by a big nerf simply because of how strong it used to be. 

I wasn't saying they were useless, just that all the decks on this site that run them still have them at two copies, which isn't as frequent anymore, now you run two shrink rays and one equality rather than the reverse

• Like 1

I was actually going to ask about Aleco, he was one of the best things about this site recently, but I wasn't sure if it was just something I missed that everyone else knew about

On 2/20/2019 at 5:32 AM, VaraTreledees said:

Speaking of lack of mods or deck curators, what ever happened to Aleco?

He moved on to Team Liquid's Artefact site as the main author. 

19 hours ago, FanOfValeera said:

...or KingMe? Last I have seen him online is too long ago

A common friend of ours told me his home got hit by a hurricane, so he's in a tough situation ?

On 2/18/2019 at 6:42 PM, positiv2 said:

The problem isn't that the decks at the top do not rotate, but that regardless of where a deck is, it stays the same for too long, as the meta just does not change nearly as much at the end of the rotation, and the decks are very refined.

I have to agree with this.  While the decks I run are normally more original than not, I found myself making minimal changes at best after the newest expansion was released.  Maybe a card or two change per deck.   This expansion just didn't give much in the way of value to how I play.  Same could be said for many of the decks found on this site, which is why you don't see them having been updated much lately.

• Like 1

Hi there, sorry for my delay in replying.

I think most things have already been covered by other replys, but I will comment and reiterate where necessary.

So you're saying everyone still plays secret hunter?

Secret Hunter is far from the most prevalent deck on the ladder right now, but does see play on rare occasion. Additionally, some people just want to play specific decks, if someone comes to our website and wants to play Secret Hunter we can't just not have the deck/guide for it, even if it is currently not very popular. The same can be said for many other decks that some people want to play because its all their collection supports or simply because they liked the deck in the past.

How about the fact all the paladin decks run two equalitys, which this site hasn't even updated to the new mana cost?

Decks are all periodically reviewed and updated as necessary. Unfortunately the Mana Costs of the cards are done externally so we have no control over updating that in the deck list, but the introduction and main body of the guides do reflect the changes.

So don't tell me the meta hasn't changed enough for an update to at least 80% of the decks on the site

As previously mentioned, decks are updated periodically, and given a full review every month just to make sure things are in order. You can check the dates that decks were last edited in multiple places on the site, and see the change logs for full details.

not to mention the inclusion of at least the new beast hunter meta deck.

I think this has been covered, but this can be found under Midrange Hunter as it is more commonly been referred and has been on the site and kept up to date with the meta since it first spawned in December.

I hope this clears things up a little bit.
Kat

Now that Kat has replied, I would like to let you know that we're very open to feedback in the way the Hearthstone section is presented. So if there are things you would like to be improved, please let us know and we'll do our best to do it.

What has happened to this site?

Apathy - that's what's happened.

Look at all the people who replied to this thread, lots of things to say  - because they can complain.

Yet.... when a new - ordinary -  thread is posted (there are two waiting now)  People just read and move on with NO COMMENT.

Look if you really want this site to become good again YOU HAVE TO INTERACT, YOU HAVE TO REPLY, YOU HAVE TO HAVE AN OPINION.

It's no good making all your reasons why this site is not popular - it is - people just can't be bothered to post - unless - like this one  - it's to complain!

I'm new here and I thank the very few people who have answered my questions. Yet I know there are a lot of long-time players out there reading the posts who must have knowledge/opinions etc. -  Why don't YOU reply ?.

Don't just read... DO ACTIONS... I would have thought that encouraging and helping new player would be a must, Answering questions about aspects of the game is a must! 

The more new blood the more likely Blizzard keeps the game running - and thus this site , and others, keep running.

All sites and games eventually die, Carry on like you are and this site and Hearthstone itself, will just  die quicker.

Rant Over

**over 900 views to this thread, yet only 16 posts.... that proves the point

?

Edited by Sleete