FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  

Tournaments - knowing your opponents deck

Maybe it is a stupid question / topic - but why are the decks each player uses in a tournament known?

Wouldn't it be more interesting, if nobody would know which deck his opponent uses? Maybe even tweak decks after each match?

First, IMO is is good that you need to choose another deck after you have won with one. That shouldn't change. And that you are able to ban one deck is fine too.

What are the advanteges of knowing your opponents deck?

It makes the encounter a little less random. You do know which cards your opponent has in his deck. You can choose a strategy with this in mind.

I agree, that is an important point.

But isn't reacting to some unexpected decks / cards a sign of skill too?

IMO it could be very interesting to see the top players compete against a deck they do not know. And it is not as if they had no idea what the opponent will play - there are obviously several decks that are stronger then other ones. But if your opponent doesn't know your deck - maybe tweak it a little? Change a few cards? Playing some mind games with your opponent? That would be even more true if the players don't have to lock in decks in advance. But can alter the deck after each round. (Personally I still like the idea that you have to choose another hero after you have won with one.)

If each player would have the chance to alter his deck after a game, it would make the games slower. That may be a big problem. Would be 10 minutes to short for players to create a new deck? And would 15 minutes be to long for the spectators to wait (because each player would still need a short breakt)? Probably.

Still, each player could bring a deck at the beginning, and the opponent does not now this deck. Surprise the opponent, see how he reacts to surprises. 

That could be interesting.

What are your thoughts?

I know I am new to this but personally think you should never know your opponents deck, 

Otherwise what;s the point - If you know your opponents deck, you know how to play against it with your own and vice vers of course)

Much better Not to know, then skill and experience starts to make a difference then, including the shock of a card you didn't expect, lol.

On 3/21/2019 at 9:41 PM, WedgeAntilles said:

Maybe it is a stupid question / topic - but why are the decks each player uses in a tournament known?

Wouldn't it be more interesting, if nobody would know which deck his opponent uses? Maybe even tweak decks after each match?

First, IMO is is good that you need to choose another deck after you have won with one. That shouldn't change. And that you are able to ban one deck is fine too.

What are the advanteges of knowing your opponents deck?

It makes the encounter a little less random. You do know which cards your opponent has in his deck. You can choose a strategy with this in mind.

I agree, that is an important point.

But isn't reacting to some unexpected decks / cards a sign of skill too?

IMO it could be very interesting to see the top players compete against a deck they do not know. And it is not as if they had no idea what the opponent will play - there are obviously several decks that are stronger then other ones. But if your opponent doesn't know your deck - maybe tweak it a little? Change a few cards? Playing some mind games with your opponent? That would be even more true if the players don't have to lock in decks in advance. But can alter the deck after each round. (Personally I still like the idea that you have to choose another hero after you have won with one.)

If each player would have the chance to alter his deck after a game, it would make the games slower. That may be a big problem. Would be 10 minutes to short for players to create a new deck? And would 15 minutes be to long for the spectators to wait (because each player would still need a short breakt)? Probably.

Still, each player could bring a deck at the beginning, and the opponent does not now this deck. Surprise the opponent, see how he reacts to surprises. 

That could be interesting.

What are your thoughts?

I agree. Seeing your opponent's deck and him seeing you is how it should be done.

• Sad 1