FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
KalluanCream

Help Me, Help Myself

Hello there - I thought myself a fairly decent mage, but recently joined a 25m guild that actually had Mages and I seem to be consistently under par with my damage when compared.  I have gone from 4pc to 2 pc and back again.  I also have a few warforged pieces, but Mr Robot still wants me to choose 4pc.  I would add that I follow all guides posted in IV too. I was hoping for some insight from the experts here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bleeding-hollow/Kalluancream/simple

Not really familiar with posting logs, so here is the link - http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/280359/ - i have been in all 3 raids.  

Thanks in advance for taking the time to review and help

sorry about the wrong advice... im not an expert yet

but based on your answer im also learning

almira

Edited by almira

I disagree on Almira's gemming suggestion, your gemming looks fine.

Looking quickly at the logs, you seem to be doing fine damage-wise compared to the other mages. The logs where your damage is far below theirs are on the fights where you died as far as I can see. I'll try to take a look at your logs in more detail later, but as an arcane mage I might not be the best to spot the small frost-magey things that can increase your dps. 

hi! im a fellow frost mage too but as i see your gems to be expertise + haste. The basic spec for mages to increase spell power is to increase Intellect. Perhaps you can try to put intellect + ++ more than expertise...

i hope i help a bit.

almira

My apologies for a kurt response here, but please do not follow the above advice.

AMR asks you to gem expertise because it allows you to pick up the chance to hit that you need while allowing a maximization of secondary stats in a proportion that exceeds the relative stat value of intellect.

In other words, 2 mastery > 1 int; 2 haste > 1 int

Okay anyway here's my advice:

1) Get rid of Presence of Mind, it's awful for frost. Blazing speed or Ice Floes are both about equal depending on your playstyle.

2) Glyph of Splitting Ice on anything but pure single target encounters, so in heroic it means you're using it on all 14 fights. I never remove it lest I forget to put it back.

*3) Your Living Bomb uptime is 80%, that's very low-- if you don't have it already, get the addon MageBombTracker, which will easily keep track for you

*4) 89.5% Invoker's Energy uptime can be improved - use WeakAuras or TellMeWhen to track this.

*5) You used Alter Time once in a 7 minute fight, I expect to see it on pull, at about 3:10, and then a third time in the final phase.

*6) You used Icy Veins twice in a 7 minute fight, use on pull, about 3:10, and a third time, line it up with Alter Time!

*7) You used Mirror Images twice in a 7 minute fight, could have been three

*8) Ice Barrier is a bad talent, it wastes a GCD and therefore DPS, only take it when the boss has a one-shot ability that you need upfront mitigation, Temporal Shield bound to frostbolt statistically works out to the most absorbed and prevented damage by far and it's off the GCD!

*9) You hit Alter Time before you hit Icy Veins, which means you didn't even get the full effect, it's ok - we all fat finger, but this is the type of play that costs you big #s

* - based off Thok, http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-8vvirqpz92u1ufw5/details/31/?s=2103&e=2524

Basically, from browsing through your logs I just see a lot of sloppy cooldown management and uptimes. Fix those things and you'll be amazing. Your gear/itemization is good, with the proper trinkets, so I think you can really do a great job if you focus on the above weak points.

Extra things:

57 Brain Freezes vs. 49 Frostfire bolt.

24 Fingers of Frost procs, with 85(!!!!) Ice Lance cast. No one would ever want to cast Ice lance without fingers of frost proc. smile.png

By getting rid of PoM, you'll be able to improve this a bit by quick movement, then continue casting. On Thok especially, Glyph of Rapid Displacement could also help you a lot with moving around.

While Akraen will argue with me about this, I am still stating that Herbalism's Lifeblood spell is bad. If you are considering semi-hc or hc raiding you really should swith that profession to any of the incellect increasing professions. The bests would be Engineering or Tailoring, since you can use Alter time to extend those buffs' as well.

If you plan to stick to Herbalism, it's okay.. but then, use Lifeblood on CD.

OFF: Damnit Akraen, answering questions is more interesting than Discrete Mathematics... :D

Gentlemen, words are not enough to express my gratitude for looking closely at my logs!  I will take all your comments to heart.  

I know that I am spamming that damn Ice Lance sad.png  as well as the FFB, which causes me to jump to stop casting, which is a totally different issue....in my quest to improve, I believe I have changed my keybinds no less than 3 times recently.  As we all know, old habits die hard and I have found my hand reverting to the original bind, thereby hitting the wrong buttons at the wrong times.  Will slow down and pay more attention.

I'm not sure about the hc raiding, at this point am still striving to be competent in my class.  Thanks again!

Gentlemen, words are not enough to express my gratitude for looking closely at my logs!  I will take all your comments to heart.  

I know that I am spamming that damn Ice Lance sad.png  as well as the FFB, which causes me to jump to stop casting, which is a totally different issue....in my quest to improve, I believe I have changed my keybinds no less than 3 times recently.  As we all know, old habits die hard and I have found my hand reverting to the original bind, thereby hitting the wrong buttons at the wrong times.  Will slow down and pay more attention.

I'm not sure about the hc raiding, at this point am still striving to be competent in my class.  Thanks again!

The 1st rule of casters: Always cast something

If you unintentionally started hardcasting FFB, just let it finish. Otherwise, you basically spent one second doing nothing.

But ofc, the best is, if you never hard cast FFB as frost...:D

I don't disagree with you about herbalism.

I just see that maybe 98% of his DPS issues are his own errors and the racial would be 2% at best. It's so insignificant compared to the ice lance casts, uptimes, and other stuff.

So my general advice to people is to not worry about racials and that degree of min/max until they are playing near perfect. People love their racials so much because it's an easy way to solve their DPS issues, by throwing money at it, or that's what they think, because some guide told them to be Engineer/Blacksmith Pandas.

• Like 1