FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damian

Stockpiling Mats ready for MoP?

Hi everyone,

I'm in two minds whether to start selling off my Alts' copious amounts of mats before the next expansion is released.

On one hand I think there is going to be lots of new Alts created and a large percentage of those will be levelling one or two manufacturing professions which should increase demand for mats and therefore drive up their AH prices.

However, on the other hand the new MoP enchantments wont be using these older mats which might drive down the price of things like Maelstrom Crystals and Heavenly Shards. I don't want to be stuck with stacks of worthless Mats.

Your thoughts and any other MoP related money making ideas would be appreciated.

High end mats (like Maelstrom Crystals and Heavenly Shards), all gems, any glyphs etc should be all sold ASAP! Greater Celestial Essences will drop in value as well.

I am currently stocking up on super cheap hypnotic dust (I have about 6 guild bank tabs full) buying them at 50s each. I reckon they will go up to about 6g-7g per on my server by the time we are a few months into MoP.

Rare companion pets I think will sky rocket in price so Im buying up any cheap Whelplings etc hoping to cash in and double my money.

To play it safe its best getting rid of nearly all your mats, you wont "lose out" that way, you might just miss out on the odd opportunity.

If you went through Wrath -> Cata then there will be similar sort of fluctuations there as well (like Infinite Dust being worth a lot and old wrath blue gems etc being quite worthless).

My advice - cash in now, dont hold onto any sort of values and try and get it all gone before the AH crashes!

• Like 1

Exactly what peelyon said - I am selling off the expensive stuff in the guild bank and planning on filling it full of other leveling mats.

I recon stuff like embersilk cloth will go way up as people will use it to bump the start of the leveling to try to get max level... so I'd stock pile that sort of thing and sell it all the week before the expansion on.

Pets are defo something to stock up on... I'm slowly filling the GB with them...

With regards to Pets - are you stocking up on unique drops such as the Razzashi hatchling or just your common pets sold by vendors?

Edited by Damian

Rare drops mainly. Theres a list of pets that will be "rare" quality in terms of pet battles found from official forums HERE.

Obviously a lot of the above are BoP but some like the whelpling are farmable / can be bought on the AH. My aim is to buy cheap now and resell later.

• Like 1

Rare drops mainly. Theres a list of pets that will be "rare" quality in terms of pet battles found from official forums HERE.

Obviously a lot of the above are BoP but some like the whelpling are farmable / can be bought on the AH. My aim is to buy cheap now and resell later.

Thanks for the list of pets. I've created a 'pets' shopping list in Auctionator to keep a look out for cheap pets.

Edited by Damian

Zagam had a great tip under the "Making in-game gold" thread - Make lots of bags. With the number of alt's that are going to be created, embersilk bags will be a cash cow. Peelyon is spot on with the high end mats, dust will go up in value while the others will drop. I, personally, am creating Enchanted Lantern with long term overpricing goals in mind as a way to dump my surplus of Heavenly Shards.

• Like 2

Didnt even think of creating those Vladamyr, awesome idea!

Just to reiterate, you can "play the game" and take risk in making some nice profits to the end of Cata, but I can see there being a lot of people on every server just dumping any mats they have and crashing the auction houses.

I'm drip selling as much as I can at the moment in the hope I can be clear as soon as possible.

That reminds me of the amount of gold I spent at the end of WOTLK getting enough inv_ingot_platinum.jpgTitanium Bar, inv_misc_enggizmos_29.jpgHandful of Cobalt Bolts, and inv_misc_pelt_14.jpgArctic Fur to craft dozens inv_misc_key_14.jpgMekgineer's Chopper, which I intended to sell over the course of Cataclysm. In the end, I didn't bother making any ;)

Back on topic. I believe that the majority of the people leveling alts will be leveling monks. Monks are wearing leather, so a great deal of these monks will eventually choose inv_misc_armorkit_17.jpgLeatherworking. I don't know if any of you has ever tried to level up this profession alongside inv_misc_pelt_wolf_01.jpgSkinning, but I have. This experience has taught me that, unlike other combinations like trade_mining.jpgMining/inv_misc_gem_01.jpgJewelcrafting or spell_nature_naturetouchgrow.jpgHerbalism/trade_alchemy.jpgAlchemy, Skinning will not get you nearly enough mats to level up Leatherworking. My guess is that a lot of Monks will rely on the Auction House to level up Leatherworking.

• Like 1

Speculative I know, but how much do you all think that Embersilk Bags will go for? Right now they sell for 400-500. I'm thinking with my stockpile of 50ish by MoP that I should price them around 700? Thoughts?

Depends on the droprates of the materials to craft the new MoP bags. If the mats are easy to find, 700 is a honest price.

Though, I expect a great battle for bags on my server, cause everyone will be rolling a pandaren, so 4x22 slots bags will be a must.

And if there's battle. Someone will surely undercut prices, ruining the economy and the actual farming for cata bag mats.