Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mit213

Our Community & PvP

8 posts in this topic

How active is our community with PvP? Just curious as to if even a slight amount of active users PvP (I know this is a PvE website for the most part). If you do, is it more casual or what?

Looks like most people here are not very interested in PvP smile.png

Main reason would be that there are no Class guides for PvP. 

"It's like gravity, all it needs is a little push"

I PvP on occasion, but nothing serious. Part of it is, like Archimage said, no PvP class guides.

That's a huge problem, because PvP doesn't allow for as much guidance; most actions have trade-offs, everything is situational, and even specific specs have different roles within each comp that they run (such as ele/affli/healer and ele/warrior/healer where elemental shaman's role changes a lotttt). It wouldn't be too tough to write rough overviews, but they wouldn't be nearly as directly applicable to the reader as the PvE guides are as that would be more of having to write guides for specific comps. It would take quite a few people that all span multiple classes and are at pretty competitive (I'd say ~duelist range or above, steady 2k players in 3v3 this season should be knowledgeable enough) to get enough information on comps; I've found that playing each comp provides a lot of insight on it even if I previously had played against it many times and thought I understood it.

Edited by Mit213

I PVP and PVE simply because i enjoy playing different aspects of the game but I am a pvper at heart. I love the unknown of pvp (comp groups you'll be facing/who are they targeting/who will you target/etc). Alot of people ask for class guides for pvp and usually the response is "there is no set rotation for pvp". While i somewhat agree with this statement there are tips and strategies for each class to use that would make them better prepared for the match. Most players that pve or are casual players use only certain abilities (basically abilities to do the most dmg). PVP uses almost all your abilities in some way. I think the guides should be set up as, not whats the best rotation, but 1) What is your class good at in pvp 2) What abilities and damaging spells should you be using (break down certain abilities and why or why not use them ex.) most affliction locks in pvp dont use malefic grasp simply because its tough to use while getting hit constantly, instead they focus on dotting and cc) 3) cc'ing and how to cc appropriately 4) What is your goal when the match starts 5) macros 6)reforging etc, etc. I feel there is a lot that guides could break down regarding pvp without going into a set rotation guide. I think with great guides and tips for pvp, alot more players would be more inclined to trying pvp.

The amount of responses here surprised me a bit, but allow me to elaborate Damien's comment.

Back in May of last year I emailed Icy Veins, because I thought the site was providing good PvE content and, being a PvP player at heart, I did not like the lack of good and detailed PvP guides on IV and especially in general. I originally intended to write a Windwalker Monk PvP guide, which is the class I played back then and would still play if I had not stopped playing WoW a few months ago.

Instead of jumping at the class guides right away, we decided to write general PvP guides first and battleground guides second. An initial batch of these guides was published back in September or October here. The response was underwhelming, the click count is still astronomically underperforming, so we came to the conclusion that the market for PvP guides is just not big enough to pursue a more complete and visible PvP guide portfolio. This is why we never made the effort to write concise PvP class guides.

Yeah Roided, I was thinking that if one were to be made, it'd just have to have general information to help portray what the spec does and it would have to be split into categories like as follows (but obviously I'm sure the structure and such could be improved upon):

1. The spec as a whole and what it can do. Multiple specs could be lumped into here such as warriors, mages, rogues, etc. In a later section the differences between them could be explained.
  2. Outline of the tools of each spec, excluding talent choices.
  3. Talent choices could be explained; with classes that have choices that vary depending on the comp they are running or are up against this could help give a clearer understanding of how they can contribute to a team.
  4. The macro section you posted could be pretty useful, but people macro different ways for PvP just depending on personal preference (mouseover, focus1/2/3, modifier to focus, etc), so maybe just general macros and in a general PvP guide it could be explained how to manipulate macros because I know they can be confusing for a lot of players, especially to do specific stuff in PvP.
  5. General comps that could be run. An example would be warriors can run pressure comps like with warlocks, swap cleaves, like with mages, or just flat out training cleaves like with death knights (although they can swap as well... haven't seen many higher up TSG this season). Comps could be rated based on overall popularity at higher rating so people could get a good idea of who they should play with.
  6. This could just branch off of 5, but just what classes they synergize well with and how.
  7. More advanced stuff here, like mages or warlocks setting up ways to get cc off while getting trained, or how to set up a kill.

So basically, a lot like what you said lol

Also, a general PvP guide might help people due to the importance of kicks and positioning especially in PvP. Peels, counter pressure, swaps, and other stuff are all mandatory depending on what comp you play.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Frostjin
      <Currently Online> US - Sargeras - Alliance - Is recruiting raiders for all difficulties, and social/casual players of all levels!

What We Offer:

The largest and most active World of Warcraft guild in the world, with 10,000 members in 10 different guilds, we offer a huge slate of activities to our players, both in WoW and out...

Raiding:

7/7 M + 5/10 M Progression 7 Raid Teams - ranging from Casual to Mythic Progression See the teams and their needs on our website: www.coguild.com/raiding

PvP:

Multiple PvP Teams An entire Sub-Guild dedicated to non-stop PvP action! Countless members constantly looking for BG Farming! Learn more about our PvP offering and sign up on or website: www.coguild.com/rbgs

For Socials:

Always active guild chat - 10 guilds linked with the add-on Greenwall In-game activities and competitions: XMog Contests, PvP Events, Mythic+ Spam, Achievement Runs, Alt Raids, Yolo BGs, and more! Bi-Weekly In-Game Lottery! New Member Orientations! Come make some new friends! Room for advancement as a staff member!
      Out of WoW:

Private Gaming Servers such as Minecraft or 7DaysToDie Battlefield 1 + Battlefield 4 Clans Elder Scrolls Online Guild Rust Group Always active Discord w/ over 2500 connected users Drinking Nights Monthly Giveaways __________________________________________________________________

To Join:
      If you find yourself on Sargeras, simply ask for an invite! If you're not on Sargeras yet, let us know on our website and we'll keep your seat warm!

http://www.coguild.com/join

Contact Us:

You can contact us by Btag, or email as listed below.

Coldcrow#1329

Joberty#7753

Empathine#3105

OR

Email us at:

Coldcrow@currentlyonline.gg

Swampage@currentlyonline.gg

We hope to see everyone in game!

• By BauntiX
      Wolflan Gaming now has its own World of Warcraft guild! It is located on Silvermoon(EU) on Alliance side. We are currently recruiting members from the organization, and as soon as we are ready, we will move towards events involving PvP and PvE. For more info, contact Bauntix, whom oversees the guild.
      If you want to join the guild, you will have to join the organization first. Head to our homepage ‘www.wolflan.com’, after which you will have to go through an introduction to the rules of the organization. When you are all signed up, you are ready to join us in Azeroth!
      WolfLAN Gaming Community
      wolflan.com

• By Frostjin
      <Currently Online> US - Sargeras - Alliance - Is recruiting raiders for all difficulties, and social/casual players of all levels!
      _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      About Us:
      <Currently Online> Founded 2014 by a core group that has been playing World of Warcraft since Vanilla. Currently Online has since evolved to far more than a guild; we are a full scale gaming community with our roots in World of Warcraft. 
      _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      What We Offer: 
      The largest and most active World of Warcraft community in the world, with over 10,000 members in 11 different guilds, we offer a huge slate of activities to our players, both in WoW and out...
      In WoW: 
      8 Raid Teams - ranging from Normal to Mythic 7/7 M + 4/10 M Progression Multiple PvP Teams Room for advancement as a staff member Always active guild chat - 11 guilds linked with the add-on Greenwall In-game activities and competitions: Mog contests, races, mythic dungeons, achievement runs Out of WoW:
      Private game servers w/ events Communities on Steam, Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit Awesome CoGuild merchandise like; Shirts, Hoodies, and more BF1 + BF4 Clan ESO Guild Rust Clan FFXIV Company Game Marathon Weekends: Rust, 7D2D, Rocket League, Tabletop Sim, Tower Unite, and more Always active Discord w/ over 2500 connected users Drinking Nights _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      More Information:
      <Currently Online> Has something to offer for everyone, if you are a hardcore raider or a hardcore casual, you can find a place here at Currently Online. If you want more information about our group you can visit us at our website: www.currentlyonline.gg , or contact an officer directly.
      Contact Us: 
      Add one of the following officers to your Btag:
      Coldcrow#1329
      Joberty#7753
      Empathine#3105
      OR
      Email us at:

• By Frostjin
      About Us:
      <Currently Online> Founded 2014 by a core group that has been playing World of Warcraft since Vanilla. Currently Online has since evolved to far more than a guild; we are a full scale gaming community with our roots in World of Warcraft. 
      What We Offer: 
      The largest and most active World of Warcraft community in the world, with over 10,000 members in 11 different guilds, we offer a huge slate of activities to our players, both in WoW and out...
      In WoW: 
      8 Raid Teams - ranging from Normal to Mythic 7/7 M + 4/10 M Progression Multiple PvP Teams Room for advancement as a staff member Always active guild chat - 11 guilds linked with the add-on Greenwall In-game activities and competitions: Mog contests, races, mythic dungeons, achievement runs Out of WoW:
      Private game servers w/ events Communities on Steam, Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit Awesome CoGuild merchandise like; Shirts, Hoodies, and more BF1 + BF4 Clan ESO Guild Rust Clan FFXIV Company Game Marathon Weekends: Rust, 7D2D, Rocket League, Tabletop Sim, Tower Unite, and more Always active Discord w/ over 2500 connected users Drinking Nights _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      More Information:
      <Currently Online> Has something to offer for everyone, if you are a hardcore raider or a hardcore casual, you can find a place here at Currently Online. If you want more information about our group you can visit us at our website: www.currentlyonline.gg , or contact an officer directly.
      Contact Us: 
      Coldcrow#1329
      Joberty#7753
      Empathine#3105
      OR
      Email us at:

• By Frostjin
      About Us:
      What We Offer: 
      In WoW: 
      8 Raid Teams - ranging from Normal to Mythic 7/7 M + 3/10 M Progression Multiple PvP Teams Room for advancement as a staff member Always active guild chat - 11 guilds linked with the add-on Greenwall In-game activities and competitions: Mog contests, races, mythic dungeons, achievement runs Out of WoW:
      More Information:
      Contact Us: 
      Coldcrow#1329
      Joberty#7753
      Empathine#3105
      OR
      Email us at: