FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Keystone

Switched to mage

Hey there guys im a new guy on this forum and i want some advice from you :)

So right now im playing WoW obvoiusly and at the moment im playing Balance Druid, which i dont find so fun, abit tbh. I made a new decision recently that i will be switching and maining mage, because i always thought mages was a cool class and their abililty to make portals is just i love it!

The thing i want to ask you about is which spec i should take? (For PvE and only PvE) I know that some specs gets better the higher item level you get, so if you could help me out it would be awesome!

I also want to know why do you enjoy mage in PvE? And what spec do you enjoy the most and if you have any extra mage tips, feel free to help me as much as possible!

I wish you a great day/afternoon/midnight or whatever its called GOOD LUCK!

-Keystone

Hey there guys im a new guy on this forum and i want some advice from you smile.png

So right now im playing WoW obvoiusly and at the moment im playing Balance Druid, which i dont find so fun, abit tbh. I made a new decision recently that i will be switching and maining mage, because i always thought mages was a cool class and their abililty to make portals is just i love it!

The thing i want to ask you about is which spec i should take? (For PvE and only PvE) I know that some specs gets better the higher item level you get, so if you could help me out it would be awesome!

I also want to know why do you enjoy mage in PvE? And what spec do you enjoy the most and if you have any extra mage tips, feel free to help me as much as possible!

I wish you a great day/afternoon/midnight or whatever its called GOOD LUCK!

-Keystone

Welcome to the best spec ever! (apart from lvl90 talents:D)

All of the three specs perform around the same DPS nowadays. That being said, fire on low item levels is underperforming.

Frost is arguably the easiest to play, has a smooth rotation, procs to manage, benefits greatly from snapshotting our one dot and performs well in any situations from single target to 100 mobs aoe. Frost also has a high capability to solo contents through kiting, slowing, rooting, high burst damage thanks to Shatter. Frost also has 3 possible ways to be geared. High haste, high mastery and a mixture. High haste (beyond 14242) is pretty hard to play and I would not recomment it for a new player. High mastery however, allows you to swap freely between arcane and frost specs.

Fire with around 40% crit chance becomes a fun spec as well where you have to manage your Pyroblast and heating up procs, and do a combo for combustion every 1,5 minutes. Apart from that combo part, I wouldn't call it too interesting and fun spec but it is worth a try.

Arcane in my opinion is the most boring spec of all. You have to stand in the rune of power, which makes you almost unable to move around freely at your will. In fact the 5.4 changes helped a lot in their movement. I found arcane's rotation extremely boring.. It's all about managing mana... Not my style, but you could freely try it out.

I enjoy playing a mage, because I can get to anywhere in the world under a few seconds, I can easily avoid "OH SHIT" abilities with Blink. I can get lots of crit damage with nice, big numbers in any specs and the challenge mode dak mage style transmog is just fabulous :D

Yo thanks for the answer man, well it sounds like i should play Frost mage sound funny (just not good at controling my damn pet, it will probarly pull at random times). Btw what is the best race for mages? i have a worgen atm, anyway thanks for your answer :)

Yo thanks for the answer man, well it sounds like i should play Frost mage sound funny (just not good at controling my damn pet, it will probarly pull at random times). Btw what is the best race for mages? i have a worgen atm, anyway thanks for your answer smile.png

Race doesn't really matter. :)

max 500-1000 dps difference. nobody cares :D Play what you like :)

FYI: It's troll

Do you already have a level 90 mage, or are you about to level one? For solo levelling, I would recommend Frost, it has high burst damage and lots of slows to keep mobs away while you kill them.

If you already have a level 90, I recommend that you try out all three specs and see what they are like. 

Personally, I really like Arcane. It takes a lot of planning and fast desicions to optimally place your Rune of Power so you'll have to move as little as possible. The Mana Adept mastery makes all your spells do more damage based on your current mana %. In endgame gear you'll do almost double damage with spells when you're at full mana. On multitarget fights like Protectors, you can easily outdps even warlocks by just putting Nether Tempest on everything while using Arcane Missiles on your main target and cleaving on the rest with Arcane Barrage when you reach four stacks. If you don't like multi-dotting (which is what Boomkins are all about as far as I know), you might not like Arcane.

Also, outside of raids, I wouldn't recommend Arcane. For questing, scenarios and Timeless Isle, it is too immobile and not bursty enough. I use a frost offspec, since my mastery-heavy gear for Arcane is pretty good as Frost as well.

Frost used to be worthless is PvE, which is why most people who aren't an Icy Veins Mage Forum Moderator still don't recommend it. It got buffed up during MoP, and now competes fairly well with the other two specs. It is probably the easiest spec to play decently, since it is mosly about using procs when they show up on your screen.

If you are going to do Challenge Modes, Frost is definately the spec for that, it is by far the strongest spec at item lvl 463, and with a bit of practice you can do crazy damage with Shatter if you put Frost Bomb on a target in a group, and just before it explodes you use your pet Freeze on the group and then use glyphed Cone of Cold. 

Fire is fun, if you have enough crit (at least 40%). If your crit is lower than this, the spec can get really boring. Every time you crit twice in a row, you get to cast an instant pyroblast, and if your crit is too low, you'll rarely get to do that, and then the spec is just about nuking Fireball a lot. If you try this out at low ilvl and find it boring, give it a try again when you have better gear. With lots of crit, the amount of instant-pyros combined with Scorch makes it the most mobile of the three specs.

Since Fire scales very well with gear, it has been nerfed more or less every single patch this expansion. I have played Fire a few times this expansion, but went Arcane for 5.4 because it was nerfed again.

Gearing wise, Fire mages are one of the only cloth and caster specs that go for crit gear this patch, which reduces competition for the gear you want if you're in a raiding guild.

No matter what spec you choose, you should get an addon like WeakAuras to track your level 90 buff and mage bomb uptime. Those two will cause you to loose lots of dps if you don't keep them as close to 100% as possible.

In conclusion, try them out and then play what you enjoy the most. 

Someone has to speak for fire mages too :)  I really love playing fire. It can be quite exhilarating when you get a good string of procs. So if you keep trying on something that you "do not have the gear for" you might get a lucky streak and be able to complete it (If you are not dying to mechanics.)  Fire is also quite useful in high movement situations. All 3 specs are quite menacing but nothing is quite as /gleeful cackle crazy style as fire.

I usually pop over to frost for soloing (like on TI, otherwise known as gank island on my pvp server) and challenge modes. I find it to be quite fun to play as frost, and easier to control mobs without a tank. I was primarily frost for a lot of Mists. Even if you are primarily frost, fire is easier on some things like many brawler's guild fights that require a lot of movement, or soloing/duoing Warbringers.

I haven't done arcane since dragon soul but I do enjoy the mysterious esthetic.

You might want to assess what it is about the moonkin spec that you like and dislike. I actually rerolled mage from a balance/feral tank druid in Cata so I came from a similar background as you. There are druidy aspects that I miss (especially the flight form) but I was ready for a change and portals are awesome! :) I found arcane to be most like balance, frost feels familiar and good (but not the annoying things from moonkin), and fire is heheee! crazy different while still being a caster rdps.

• Like 2