FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

WoW Classic Spotlight: Anathema/Benediction

nbg1KCi.jpg

News image courtesy of Engadget.

In this series, we're going to highlight some epic quest lines and items that are obtainable in Classic WoW that you probably haven't heard of if you haven't been playing the game back then. This post covers the epic Priest weapon, Benediction!

Anathema/Benediction

The Vanilla Priest weapon is unique, because you essentially have two weapons in one and can switch between them based on your specialization. Anathema is the Shadow Priest version of the staff and you right-click it (Call Benediction Call Benediction) to get Benediction, the healer version of the epic staff. It also works the other way around (Call Anathema Call Anathema) on a 30-minute cooldown.

The quest line has been removed from the live version of the game in Cataclysm, but players who obtained it have been rewarded the The Balance of Light and Shadow The Balance of Light and Shadow Legacy achievement on live servers. Obviously, that won't be the case in Classic, due to the achievements system not being available in Vanilla.

Current tooltips do not come with original stats for the items, so we went to Classic Beta to check them out.

Anathema Anathema

WoWScrnShot_052919_124055.jpg

Benediction Benediction

WoWScrnShot_052919_124129.jpg

Requirements

It was no easy task to get Anathema/Benediction. Remember that raids were meant for 40 people back in the day and quest lines were cumbersome.

Three items were required to forge the weapon (Balance of Light and Shadow Balance of Light and Shadow)

• The Eye of Divinity The Eye of Divinity: Which dropped from Majordomo Executus in Molten Core.
  • The Eye of Shadow The Eye of Shadow: Which dropped from demons located in Blasted Lands and Winterspring.
    • Note that the item is BoE and can still be found on the Auction House.
  • Splinter of Nordrassil Splinter of Nordrassil: Equipping both trinkets allowed the Priest to see the quest giver for a challenging quest which revolved around saving people from the undead. Completing it rewarded the splinter.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I always get mad at Blizzard when I see another priest running around with Benediction/Anathema transmog. I never got to obtain it and they removed it from retail WoW. 😥Hope it will come back during some anniversary event to live WoW as well, not just to Classic.

• Like 5

Rare Patron
35 minutes ago, Badadada said:

I always get mad at Blizzard when I see another priest running around with Benediction/Anathema transmog. I never got to obtain it and they removed it from retail WoW. 😥Hope it will come back during some anniversary event to live WoW as well, not just to Classic.

You can always play Classic and really get the most out of owning/earning it!

Edited by OldManKrypton
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, OldManKrypton said:

You can always play Classic and really get the most out of owning/earning it!

Hah. 😁 Thanks, but no thanks.

• Like 1

Rare Patron
1 hour ago, Badadada said:

Hah. 😁 Thanks, but no thanks.

I feel like this is the major difference between Classic and Retail players since it's been such a topic of discussion. Classic players want to earn it, Retail players want it put back in so they can one-shot an entire dungeon to get it. Polarizing perspective, but right on the money. Totally different types of people for totally different game types.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

There is some other weapons like that! There's the hunter weapon which is changeing too from Staff to bow

Rhok'Delar - LongBow of the Ancient Keepers
Lok'Delar  - Stave of the Ancient Keepers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OldManKrypton said:

I feel like this is the major difference between Classic and Retail players since it's been such a topic of discussion. Classic players want to earn it, Retail players want it put back in so they can one-shot an entire dungeon to get it. Polarizing perspective, but right on the money. Totally different types of people for totally different game types.

For me it's a time thing. I'd love to do the quest "at max level" I just don't have the drive to level to 60 in Classic when it already took me 9 months to hit 70 in BC. Having said that, I'll probably poke around in Classic, and maybe one day will get the staff. I even obtained both eyes in BC/LK...I just...never got around to doing the quest apparently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldManKrypton said:

weird way to bring out a classic flex but ok.

5 hours ago, OldManKrypton said:

This isnt remotely true...For example, the mage tower from legion was very difficult solo content that was hugely popular. People just want the chance to earn it, not necessarily be given it.  If the quest to get Anathema or Rhok'delar were put back into the game and tuned to be difficult at 120, people would love it.

Dont be a *filtered* just because you want to play classic over the retail game. you arent magically a better or more dedicated player because you want to play classic or played vanilla. There is not need to turn this into an us vs them, classic vs retail situation.

Ill be glad once classic comes out so this population will be kept busy and off the forms. This community is basically the hipsters of blizzard. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rare Patron
2 minutes ago, ThomasC said:

This isnt remotely true...For example, the mage tower from legion was very difficult solo content that was hugely popular. People just want the chance to earn it, not necessarily be given it.  If the quest to get Anathema or Rhok'delar were put back into the game and tuned to be difficult at 120, people would love it.

Dont be a *filtered* just because you want to play classic over the retail game. you arent magically a better or more dedicated player because you want to play classic or played vanilla. There is not need to turn this into an us vs them, classic vs retail situation.

Ill be glad once classic comes out so this population will be kept busy and off the forms. This community is basically the hipsters of blizzard. 

You had to be filtered for name calling and then insulted an entire player base. Good on you for making the world a more positive place.

• Like 1

Rare Patron
57 minutes ago, Koxsos said:

weird way to bring out a classic flex but ok.

I don't know what "classic flex" is (maybe I'm old), but if you mean showing the differences between two player bases, thanks!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ThomasC said:

Gotta disagree on one point. Benediction/Anathema took me months of waiting(raids) and farming for the drops. Mage towers were queue and go get your weapon. The two aren't even remotely comparable in that aspect. (Having to get 40 people together for a raid, without LFR, was a task in itself. That coming from someone who due to RL doesn't have the time for a raiding guild and enjoys the ability to queue LFR.)

Now if they put in weekly raids that took 40 people and put everyone at level 60 and tuned the difficulty of the boss, due to different class abilities in live vs classic, and did the same with the quest you had to do, I don't think I would mind them putting back in the quests for B/A and Rhok'delar. Mostly because I never was able to get the drops on my hunter lol.

Just adding the drops to something you can queue for multiple times a day or a raid you can now crush isn't the same. And I can't wait to get it again in Classic.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, OldManKrypton said:

You had to be filtered for name calling and then insulted an entire player base. Good on you for making the world a more positive place.

You should read your original comment again amigo. Maybe it didnt translate to text well, but it read like a demeaning comment towards the retail player base from an individual who feels very superior because he wants to play classic. 

Rare Patron
Just now, ThomasC said:

You should read your original comment again amigo. Maybe it didnt translate to text well, but it read like a demeaning comment towards the retail player base from an individual who feels very superior because he wants to play classic. 

Here's the thing. I'm old enough to know a condescending attitude, but also old enough to laugh it off. You can keep insulting me if it adds value to your life. I'm a big man and can take it. I just hope you feel better afterward.

57 minutes ago, OldManKrypton said:

Here's the thing. I'm old enough to know a condescending attitude, but also old enough to laugh it off. You can keep insulting me if it adds value to your life. I'm a big man and can take it. I just hope you feel better afterward.

Apologies - it was not my intent to cause actual offense and I should not have insulted you. Being a jackass on the internet is not something I typically do. 

Have a great day.

• Thanks 1

Rare Patron
1 minute ago, ThomasC said:

Apologies - it was not my intent to cause actual offense and I should not have insulted you. Being a jackass on the internet is not something I typically do. 

Have a great day.

Hey, I accept your apology and am sorry if my initial view rubbed you the wrong way. Good on you for being awesome. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OldManKrypton said:

Hey, I accept your apology and am sorry if my initial view rubbed you the wrong way. Good on you for being awesome. 

Thank you! 

I sincerely hope you have a great time in August. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OldManKrypton said:

I don't know what "classic flex" is (maybe I'm old), but if you mean showing the differences between two player bases, thanks!

"weird flex but ok"
when I was refering to a "classic flex" it's basically the act /flex because you played classic (just like everyone else) "Classic was better and I played it so I am better too, let me tell you why you all live normies suck, but not me, cause I am only here till classic..."
But you guys worked it out and cleared it up. You do good! ^_^

On 5/29/2019 at 7:20 AM, Badadada said:

Try... idk ... playing classic.