FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Svuber

Elemental Shaman and Mastery

So I play Elemental shaman. I've 397 ilvl and I feel like I'm doing pretty decent damage. But I'm wondering, could my damage improve?
I would say I play a very abnormal build for shaman, with a huge focus on Mastery, 51% at its base (with traits and trinkets able to bring it up to 90%+.

Why is Mastery so low on the priority for stats? I've not run any simulations on it, but the mastery skill for elemental seems like it should be decently powerful, so how come Icy Veins puts it as the lowest priority consistently?

Bonus question!:
If anyone could figure out the DPS difference between a Mastery focused build (Prioritizing Mastery, then Haste) vs. a build with the stat priority Icy Vein suggests, I'd be very interested to know!

P.S.: If any of my stats or armory profile would help, do let me know!

Because in fights where you're multi dotting the reset is going to constantly be waste. If you get a lava burst proc while you already have on its completely wasted. Especially in this tier there are a lot of bosses with multiple targets so you can get plenty of procs with less mastery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Svuber said:

I can see that in some instances that would be true, but I can't say I've ever felt myself losing Lava Burst procs.

Even if you somehow aren't losing LaB pocs crit is still an extremely valuable stat for shaman because of the extra 50% crit damage you do, don't underestimate how much damage your flame shock and lightning bolt crits do. Storm Earth and Lava (https://stormearthandlava.com/) is a well respected shaman site that can teach the general best stat weights. Having too much mastery also means you're losing out on haste which lets you get in more casts in the encounter.

Edited by Cresbot
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 4:54 AM, Svuber said:

Why is Mastery so low on the priority for stats? I've not run any simulations on it, but the mastery skill for elemental seems like it should be decently powerful, so how come Icy Veins puts it as the lowest priority consistently?

Stat Priorities are mostly determined via simulations, theory crafting, and in-game testing were possible. And it's not just Icy Veins that puts Mastery at the bottom for Elemental, every guide I've seen considers Mastery the weakest stat by a large margin. The difference is so great, that I frankly can't imagine a talent and trait combination that would bring it up to Crit or Haste in terms of DPS increase per point rating. If you somehow found one, feel free to share it, I'd love to run some sims.

On 6/2/2019 at 3:07 PM, Cresbot said:

Because in fights where you're multi dotting the reset is going to constantly be waste. If you get a lava burst proc while you already have on its completely wasted. Especially in this tier there are a lot of bosses with multiple targets so you can get plenty of procs with less mastery.

I'm not a Shaman expert, but does Mastery affect the Lava Surge proc rate? (I'm too lazy to check in-game right now...)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jinsu2301 said:

Stat Priorities are mostly determined via simulations, theory crafting, and in-game testing were possible. And it's not just Icy Veins that puts Mastery at the bottom for Elemental, every guide I've seen considers Mastery the weakest stat by a large margin. The difference is so great, that I frankly can't imagine a talent and trait combination that would bring it up to Crit or Haste in terms of DPS increase per point rating. If you somehow found one, feel free to share it, I'd love to run some sims.

I'm not a Shaman expert, but does Mastery affect the Lava Surge proc rate? (I'm too lazy to check in-game right now...)

Yes, the instant lava burst proc is their mastery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cresbot said:

Yes, the instant lava burst proc is their mastery.

No, it's not. Mastery: Elemental OverloadMastery: Elemental Overload 

I know that Rank 2 also affects Lava Burst (Mastery: Elemental OverloadMastery: Elemental Overload ), but the Lava SurgeLava Surge proc is a seperate thing entirely. Lava Surge resets the cooldown based on Flame Shock ticks, whereas Elemental Overload gives certain spells an extra "pseudo-crit" and Maelstrom.

I just did some testing on the dummy, too. I did a simple Lightning Bolt, Flame Shock, Lava Burst rotation and only casted LvB with a Surge proc up. After 200 Ticks of Flame Shock, I got 36 Lava Surge Procs, it's not a large sample size but spot-on with the 18% stated in my Lava Surge tooltip. (I also had about 14 Lava Burst Overloads, which is a bit too much with only 31/44% Mastery)

• Like 2

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/eu/argent-dawn/nurra For if you want to try and run a sim. Mind you, I don't claim that it's a good build in the slightest.

But thanks for letting me know! I think I'll be trying to aim more for a Mastery/crit stat priority then, to make more use of that sweet crit power. Probably won't be dropping my Mastery though. To me, that's what makes Elemental Shaman fun. But it's definitely enlightening to know a bit more about the why and how.