FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Riding Skill in WoW Classic

1hHbd15.jpg

In this article, we're looking at the price of riding and you'll find out how much gold you need to gather to be able to afford a mount in WoW Classic.

Did You Know?

Flying mounts were only added to the game in the Burning Crusade. In Classic, all you get is a 60% ground mount at level 40 and a 100% ground mount at level 60.

In Vanilla, there were no world quests, so the amount of gold generated from questing was limited to leveling, and that barely covered your training expenses. Professions and the Auction House were your best friends if you wanted to unlock your mount as fast as possible.

Riding in Classic WoW

Riding Skills

We checked out the Orgrimmar Wolf Raider on Classic Beta first and it turns out as an Undead, you will need to reach Exalted with Orgrimmar to be able to learn Wolf Riding Wolf Riding, even though WoWWiki claims that Riding has changed in Patch 1.12 to a new system, where each race no longer had their own riding skill (Wolf Riding [Orcs], Ram Riding [Dwarves], Tiger Riding [Night Elves], etc.) and mounts became BoP, which does not appear to be the case on Beta. Confusing, right?

WoWScrnShot_060419_234908.jpg

Riding Cost

Next, we went to Brill to check out the cost of riding, because we're playing an Undead and the reputation requirement is ignored for your own race.

We found out that Skeletal Horse Riding Skeletal Horse Riding costs 20 gold (without reputation discounts).

WoWScrnShot_060519_154933.jpg

Mount Cost

Now comes the fun part. Rare mounts, which increase your ground speed by 60% cost 80 gold each (undiscounted) and an epic 100% mount will cost you a whopping 1,000 gold (900 gold mount + 100 gold riding skill).

WoWScrnShot_060519_154906.jpg

You will need to pay 100 gold for the 60% mount and 1,000 gold for the 100% mount in WoW Classic (before reputation discounts)

Discounts

In Classic, the amount of gold you pay for the mount can decrease by up to a total of 20%.

• At Honored reputation standing with a faction, the mount price is decreased by 10%.
  • At PvP rank 3, the mount price is decreased by 10%.

WoWScrnShot_060419_234919.jpg

BoE Mounts

Racial mounts in Classic are BoE, so a friend can eventually purchase the mount 20% cheaper and trade it with you.

WoWScrnShot_060419_234031.jpg

Blizzard stated previously that they were using an earlier version of mount training for Classic - Basically when the epic mounts where special unarmoured versions (Teal Kodo, Ivory Raptor, ect). Training wasn't too bad, but mounts were expensive.

I was immensely pissed off at the time, as I was only a hundred gold away from a kodo before they swapped the training/mount cost (Mounts became a hundred gold, and the riding training was moved to 1k). Of course, since I already had the training, I just bought the armored kodo mounts. But as a collector, my intestines still turn green with regret at how !@#$ing close I was to getting one of the now rarest mounts in the game. (Similar case with the Brewfest Ram, unarmored version).

Can someone tell me if they are using the old unarmored version of epic mounts? Undead were the sole oddity among the 8 races back then as they had their armored version from the start.

Edited by Frogspoison
  • Thanks 1

1k gold was an astronomical amount in classic - there werent dailies and quests rewards were quite small.

not looking forward to that grind - back to Tyr's Hand to farm rares

aww those memorys ? farming endlessly to be one of the thirst orcs to ride an kodo ? needed thousands of runecloth for reputation

1k gold WAS hard to get 15(ish)years ago when most people didnt know much about the game but now.. it will be SO EZ to get 1k gold because people know what to do and how to do it. or be like Asmon and just get it handed to you by viewers so you can get "world first" 60 mount (you know its going to happen)

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Borgoff33 said:

1k gold WAS hard to get 15(ish)years ago when most people didnt know much about the game but now.. it will be SO EZ to get 1k gold because people know what to do and how to do it. or be like Asmon and just get it handed to you by viewers so you can get "world first" 60 mount (you know its going to happen)

Asmongold - the most punchable dillhole in all of history

2 hours ago, ThomasC said:

1k gold was an astronomical amount in classic - there werent dailies and quests rewards were quite small.

weren't mounts 750 gold after all discounts?

I am just looking forward to all the players crying on how hard and slow it is......even though they are the ones that say its too easy and quick. lol

You know its gonna happen.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ThomasC said:

I feel you bro, going as a Druid on the Horde side, Tauren, so will have increased herb gathering speed and will get alchemy for those sweet Arcanite transmute fees, flask, potions and so on for the money. Might even sell all my cloth I get during leveling just for the extra coin since I can always heal myself as a Druid, just mana that will be annoying ^^. Maxed first aid is always nice, but the money!

• Like 1

Uncommon Patron

I’m remember back in Cata how awesome the giant dragon mounts were but so so expensive! Only the most hard core players had one and I was truly envious of them. They were epic. As time moved on and our toons got more powerful in future expansions, I was able to go in Ice Crown Citadel with a few friends and easily clear the raid  to get Reins of the Bloodbathed Frostbrood Vanquisher. Still one of my favorites but didn’t “earn” it like raider teams back in Lich King era. I still feel somewhat guilty for not having to experience the blood, sweat, and tears of earning it at appropriate level ?

Classic will once again have epic mounts that only the most dedicated players will earn. At least the Auction House will be a place of Commerce again! Flying? Naw, won’t miss it. That’s what retail is for.