FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Mephisto

Levelling spec

Last night I ran Utgarde Keep on my lvl70 BM hunter and was totally owned by a lvl 69 MM hunter.

Reading the info on this site and going by the guides I felt my rotation was fine.

Is MM better for levelling than BM?

MM is really powerful for leveling due to aimed shot dealing so much damage and having +75% crit chance on anything with more than 80% health. This will usually one shot most mobs while leveling, or leave them with very little health. So if the other hunter was firing off aimed shits on each trash mob, he's going to be dealing a lot of damage really fast. Not to mention MM has pretty good AoE as well, -20 focus cost to multi shit and +60% damage if you crit with MS.

I definitely recommend leveling at least to lvl 85 (to 90 if you want, but you won't one shot as many mobs) as MM.

It could also be that he has full heirlooms, while you might not, which are usually better than anything you will pick up from quests/dungeons.

Yes your right he did have full heirlooms but the dps difference between us was massive.

Also chimera shot seemed to be a huge dps boost for him.

I appreciate the guides here are for lvl90 so Iam guessing at that level BM really takes off.

I just use the lvl90 shots l currently have at lvl70 for my rotation.

That's one thing I don't understand about MM, is that Chimera shot does just as much damage per shot as aimed shot does, even though it is supposed to deal 285% weapon damage plus a little bit, versus aimed shots 420% weapon damage. This here makes no sense whatsoever. Chimera shot should be dealing around 75% of what aimed shot is doing per shot.

In my experience as MM, the top attacks should be (in order) Chimera shot, auto shot, Glaive toss/wild quiver (he won't have either of these), arcane shot/serpent sting. So if he was doing his rotation perfectly, using chimera on cd, keeping serpent sting up, and keeping steady focus up (15% haste buff and +3 focus regen to steady shot), then he can deal massive damage.

Also, the difference between full heirlooms and no heirlooms is massive. My worlock (0 heirlooms) will deal only around 1/3 at best of another worlock of the same level and skill who has full heirlooms on.

Edited by Orthios