FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Skizzy

New too Diablo III, Necro build on seasonal help!

So like the title says, I'm sorta new to Diablo III but have played Diablo 2 waaay back in the day. I'm getting the simple things in the game as far as the GR runs and such. But crafting and getting gear is a major downfall for me. I watch videos all the time with characters just ripping threw GR runs with no problem and would love to do that. I have a Monk non seasonal and have come to a stand still with him as far as finding/ crafting gear. So anyways if anyone cares to point me in the right direction or give me some pointers as wtf to do that would be sweeeet.

In addition of grinding for loot, there are other ways to get geared for higher difficulties. 

-You can upgrade level 70 rare (yellow) items to legendaries in the Kanai's Cube. The recipe requires 50 of white, blue, and yellow materials, and 25 Death's Breath. This is most efficient when target at class-specific items(i. E. Fist weapon, Daibo or Spirit Stone on your Monk) or items that have a smaller pool of legendaries (like daggers on a crusader), because the recipe produces the same item type that you have put in as a rare. 

-You can spend your blood shards,  earned from Rifts, bounties or challenge rift cache, at Kadala (the daughter of the D2 gambler, of course) for mystery items. 25 for armor and off hand, 50 for rings and one handed, 75 for two handed, and 100 for amulets. There is a 10% chance you'll receive a legendary. It is best targeted at class specific off hand items (sources/mojos) and armor. Please note that class specific items that occupy an armor slot (for example Spirit Stones are in the head slot) have their legendary pool shared with the generic type of items going in the same slot at Kadala, but not with items for other classes. (as a Monk, if you gamble for helm, you can receive helms and Spirit Stones.) This further makes the upgrade rare useful for these items. 

-If you have a set item and get anothetr by drop, and you still dont have a 6 piece set, you can convert it in the Cube with 10 DB and 10 Forgotten Souls. Getting a 6 piece class set bonus is (most of the time) the single biggest power level boost you can receive in the game. Note that Converting a set item cannot give an Ancient version (Ancient items have increased Stats). It is also worth mentioning that this Recipe only works with sets composed more than 2 items. 

-Kanai's Cube also has a recipe to convert white materials to yellow materials, 100 at a time. If you find yourself starved on yellow materials (which will likely be the case if you use the upgrade rare recipe heavily), you want to farm some zones like cathedral, halls of agony, secheron or temple of the firstborn, preferably on a low difficulty, and open each and every armor and weapon rack you come across. This yields excellent amount of materials per time spent, because whites generally disenchant for more material, and you can convert it at a 100:100 ratio. The yellow item you shall put into the cube along with the materials does not have to be level 70, the lowest level (And thus, the cheapest) can do the job. 

• Like 1

Yolo, I definitely took all that information in and thank you. Only problem or well impatience I'm running into is lack of crafting material. More so DB. I'm starting to think a Monk isn't what I should be working on lol.

Gearing up the first character up to a point where you can handle T16 (or GR75) is definitely a long journey that takes patience. If you have not completed this season's journey yet, i definitely recommend to make a seasonal character and go for it. You'll receive a 6 set bonus for completing rather easy tasks, like do bounties, kill bosses and level up your artisans. Once you have your set, it will shoot you up to T8-9 ish difficulty, which will make farming off pieces of build definitely faster. At the end of the season, everything you earned on your seasonal(s) will go into non seasonal - the character, artisans, stash, inventory, you won't lose anything.

Edited by Yolo

Unfortunately Monks seem the worst for me. Gear has to be closer to perfected, builds have to be mostly followed, only a handful of good enough builds, and some paragons are needed. To speed farm lvl 75, and get the most out of the game when not in gr's, and to climb further in GR's. Best I can seem to do for a monk, and I've got about 1200 paragon, is being safe defensively, and quick offensively at GR 84 or so. With a real nice almost perfected Wave of Light Sunwoku's Inna's or LoN build. Or that Primary attack/Dashing strike set with the fist weapon set got me about the same, maybe 86ish. With fully ancient gear and a full round of Caldessan recipe's for them all they looked not overly quick to get past GR 90. But I died before I could confirm that, play on hardcore, and lean heavily towards survival in my builds. Maybe Monk's just aren't my thing, at least not yet, but I feel like they have less leeway, options, and are about 5GR levels behind the others at equal points in the progression. 
A couple key questions, which build are you using? maybe we can let you know it doesn't get much better, and suggest you go with another. What options do you have to switch too? Same questions for possibly necro build on seasonal? That's in your title but you didn't get into it. Are you finding the offence incapable of progressing on these or the toughness?
That is great advice up there, but specifics about which builds you are using, which gear you are using, and where you find it lacking are helpful if you are hoping for idea's to tweak or abandon your builds. 

One thing I will add, is the sage's set can double DB drops. 5 Inna's and 2 Sage's with a ring of royal granduer can give you the 6 and 3 set bonuses to be real good. You could try that build, hopefully fit a broken crown in, and make full use of bounties, regular rifts and puzzle rings. It will never have the potential of builds not prioritising DB's and gems, but it can still be effective at high levels. I'll play around on the d3 planner, put the link up. You can always play around on that site too to help think things through before trying them. 

https://www.d3planner.com/352015836   
There is an idea for a simple Sage's Inna's tempest rush. Nowhere near good enough for T16 until the gear is perfected. The idea is too save up the flurry of tempest rush, and pop the blind right before releasing it. Get some blind or freeze on hit on your gear, and try to stay in epiphany as much as possible. By saving blind for when you release the flurry, and having enough spirit per second to somewhat keep up with the constant channelling/ using the ally's for more when needed. It isn't great past T 10 probably.  The cooldown ability from the Obsidian ring is great, but the much needed  blind takes away from epiphany. Just not much out there for a monk and Sage's. Really Sage's only has a few classes it can put a decent build together with. But hey, if you end up with the stuff for it, and aren't doing T 16 anyway, maybe it's an idea. The site itself is the main idea though, together with this site for build pages. 

But really, the main advice here, I'll second Yolo on, and it's not the advice you want or even advice.... But the first characters are the hardest. You spend so much of everything you get levelling up and progressing. It isn't until you get so set up, that you almost never get better, that you start saving up materials. Otherwise you spend so much at the enchantress, the blacksmith even, the jeweler. I set goals for 1 of each class up to lvl 70, then 1 of each class up to T 9 which seemed fitting at the time. Then T 13, now T 16.  It only became easy when my stash added up from so many hours with so many classes that I now have a whole new set all ready to go when I die and then have to get one back up to lvl 70. So go ham til you get bored with your guys, save the nice stuff in the stash, because you never know, and start a new class once you are sick of it or hit too long of a snag. They seem to get easier to build up each time. The paragon and stash have a nice effect on that usually. The difficulty can get higher as you go and the items drop faster. Even just one weapon like a dagger that everyone can use, with the level taken off for a lvl 1, in the cube, can make the progression way faster and less expensive on materials for the next guys you work on, helping them save up the materials.  We all get impatient, especially once tasting progression and success on higher GR's. I get myself killed on hardcore, and waste materials all the time being idiotically impatient. The only saving grace for me on materials and stashing gear was doing all 7 classes to keep my thirst for progression quenched, and having some lvl 70/ lvl 1 gear after the 1st one. 

• Like 1

That idea for sage's is more of a further along idea though. It has helped tremendously for me to have a money and broken crown build for when I go on puzzle ring runs. Gems and money sky rocket. Worthy of considering should you keep playing lots. I haven't been hard up for gems or money at any point to do anything in a long time now. I've been hoping to incorporate sage's into that, since I love the upgrade rare recipe as much as anyone. Having all 7 classes, I have the ability to choose between and use the best build for it. Monk isn't one of them. Nemesis bracers for more elites, and elite hunting as much as possible is my only other advice for DB's. But that's the idea for everything so I assume you don't need to be told that. 

I just recently started a seasonal Necro about a day or two ago. I did notice the set bonuses for completing certain things which already seems better then the non-seasonal Monk. I'm hoping playing a seasonal character will at least have a better turn over rate as far as gear goes and progressing threw GR. There's still a lot apparently that I haven't figured out about this Diablo, but it's caught my attention enough to come home and sit infront of my computer for hours on end. I do have pieces of sets I stashed away but the bountie runs I do the drops are *filtered* sometimes so that gets annoying.

13 hours ago, Skizzy said:

I just recently started a seasonal Necro about a day or two ago. I did notice the set bonuses for completing certain things which already seems better then the non-seasonal Monk. I'm hoping playing a seasonal character will at least have a better turn over rate as far as gear goes and progressing threw GR. There's still a lot apparently that I haven't figured out about this Diablo, but it's caught my attention enough to come home and sit infront of my computer for hours on end. I do have pieces of sets I stashed away but the bountie runs I do the drops are *filtered* sometimes so that gets annoying.

It's definitely better that begin in Non-season, at least in terms of time consuming. Not counting the one gr20 for the seasonal journey (shift+j), i recommend saving your gr keys for later, higher levels. 

Bounties are for specific materials mainly (used for cubing gear and reforge it), only few notable drops (grandeur Ring, no collision boots). 

Its good to gear you are having fun with game. It is the purpose of it. Keep up this! 

If you have questions, dont be afraid to ask them here. We'll help as much as we can. 

Damn, it's been awhile sense I commented back. My Necro has gotten me a lot further than I thought it would. I can make it there a GR 50 with him but also die a few times along the way which makes me want to change his gear up. I know about the cube and have messed around with that but when I do GR runs I always seem to find the same stuff every time lol. So the only thing that really does confuse me at the moment is the drops. Is it the higher the GR I MIGHT find different stuff or that's just false all together?

7 hours ago, Skizzy said:

Damn, it's been awhile sense I commented back. My Necro has gotten me a lot further than I thought it would. I can make it there a GR 50 with him but also die a few times along the way which makes me want to change his gear up. I know about the cube and have messed around with that but when I do GR runs I always seem to find the same stuff every time lol. So the only thing that really does confuse me at the moment is the drops. Is it the higher the GR I MIGHT find different stuff or that's just false all together?

Higher gr Guardians drop more stuff. It is absolutely random what you'll get. Sometimes a best in slot item, Sometimes all garbage. It can be beneficial to lower difficulty in order to speed up the rift, since dying becomes a time penalty in GRs. Two 4-5 minute gr 45s drop more gear than 1 50 that Lasts 10 minutes. 

4 hours ago, Yolo said:

Higher gr Guardians drop more stuff. It is absolutely random what you'll get. Sometimes a best in slot item, Sometimes all garbage. It can be beneficial to lower difficulty in order to speed up the rift, since dying becomes a time penalty in GRs. Two 4-5 minute gr 45s drop more gear than 1 50 that Lasts 10 minutes. 

I have had some decent stuff drop after a few runs, but mostly the same stuff. I have been trying to use this Necro to find or craft stuff for a Monk and maybe a Wizard.