FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Auggiedoggy

Sustained DPS

Myself and another member of my guild and raid team are having a discussion on how to measure one's sustainable dps. I am trying to find any information I can to help us both learn from the discussion but most things are from expansions long forgotten. I look forward to hearing back from anyone.

This is my take on how it should be measured.

Make a pull timer (like if you were to pull a boss) and do everything you usually do, also prepot and all that.
Pop cooldowns on pull.
Dps the best you can.
When your longest cooldown come back off cooldown, pop that and keep dpsing until it wears off.
Check your damage done and write it down.
Go like this 3 times total and calculate your average damage done. Divide that by how many seconds you were dpsing in one go (you'll know that because you know how long your cooldowns are and how long you have the buff).
That's your dps.

I think that would be padding the numbers a bit. It can be difficult to get an accurate number due to the various number of targets available during a real fight, as well as necessary movement, which is why simulators exist.

However, to get your personal DPS easily, it would be more fair to estimate how long a fight would be (usually 7-10 minutes), so say 8.  Pull timer, pre-pot etc, do your DPS for that length of time,  Then you'd need to subtract a bit to compensate for moving, being out of range etc. It's gonna be a really rough number.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:33 AM, Auggiedoggy said:
Make a pull timer (like if you were to pull a boss) and do everything you usually do, also prepot and all that.

Unless you are dummying in a full raid group, you won't have any of the raidbuffs, so you might as well leave out the all the pots, flask, drums and food and save the money. You aren't going for the best numbers possible, you are going for comparable numbers.

Here's my take on all of this. Comparing the DPS of different classes and specs is futile, everyone has their situations where they shine or are outshone by others. The only real point of dummy testing is to learn and practice a rotation and to get some consistent numbers that can then be compared to raidbots (which has a target dummy preset).