FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zhulji

Raiding Resto Druid needs HPS Advice

Armory-> https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/the-scryers/zhulji
Combat Log-> https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6ByMFxWHhRdGaqAw/#playermetric=hps&fight=last

I generally keep Efflorescence under melee.
Lifebloom is up as often as I can. I recast lifebloom around 4 seconds or less, if needed.
When there are 3 or more players damaged, I use Wild Growth. I use Rejuvenation on anyone, so long as they're damaged.

Cenarion Ward is usually kept on the tank, unless it's needed elsewhere.

I rarely cast Swiftmend, it is often not needed (I compete with a Mistweaver). And use Regrowth on proc.

I usually use Tranquility when I'm told, during the raid. Sometimes if the other healers already used their CD's and we need it.
When there is about to be a lot of damage, or I need to top people up, I use Tree of Life, Rejuvenation on a few, Regrowths, Wild Growth and then Flourish.

I try to remember to use my trinket, but often it goes unnoticed. I have just gotten my first essence, so I'm trying to remember that spell as well.

I often forget to use innervate on myself and instead cast it on the Mistweaver when they're low on mana.

I prefer Cat Form, for speedier escapes. I won't be using Treacherous Covenant, by our Raid Leaders rules.
I know I need to upgrade my ring enchants, unfortunately out of my price range at the moment.
We always have Flasks and Feasts before each pull, unless we know we're going to wipe (when learning a new boss.)

I've played Resto Druid in Legion as well, but I seem to be underperforming a lot and I'm really unsure what to do, to do better.
My HPS sits around 13k, sometimes spikes to 15k but I've seen way better numbers on other druids and sims, while I know they're not reliable for real time healing, show 45k HPS, I figure I've got to be doing something wrong if I'm not even half that number. (Which is probably unrealistic.)

I've tried to switch up my talents, Cultivation over Tree of Life, and Germination over Flourish, but I seem to do worse. Maybe it has to do with the fights? I can tunnel, but I've been okay at not doing that, except during Jaina. Too much goes on and I get overwhelmed. (We did get AotC tho.)

Am I just a fail druid this expac? Am I missing something? Is it really that extra 60 mastery I need to make up the difference? Or is it my armor/weapons? Or is it poor synergy with the All Star Mistweaver?

Edited by Zhulji

18 hours ago, Zhulji said:

My HPS sits around 13k, sometimes spikes to 15k but I've seen way better numbers on other druids and sims, while I know they're not reliable for real time healing, show 45k HPS, I figure I've got to be doing something wrong if I'm not even half that number.

Those logs are inflated. You are likely seeing logs of people who single or duo healed a 30-player raid. We often single heal the first boss in BoD mythic, the fight lasts 2 minutes and our healer ends up with 40-50k hps.

As long as you aren't too far behind the other healers in your group, you are not underperforming. Druid is not in a great spot in terms of raidhealing at the moment, so being in the midfield of your healing meter is fine. Also, keep in mind that HPS relies on your group taking damage. The better your group, the worse your HPS. 

Here are the real question: What's your mana like at the end of the fight? If you still have some reserves even with Germination while also not using Innervate on yourself, you are definitely not pushing hard enough. Use more Revs, use more Wild Growths. In an ideal scenario, you are OoM the moment the boss dies, having used a Pot of Replenishment and your Innervate on yourself. Or at the very least, all healers should be at similar mana levels.

And the other question is: Is your group wiping because of a lack of healing? Or are your guys and girls simply failing the mechanics, including taking unnecessary damage?

jinsu2301-

Thank you for responding. :)

He 45k HPS is a simulation. The best druid I've seen, that's been in our raid, was around 22k HPS, he was a pug and I don't remember their name unfortunately. At the time, I was on my Priest.

The main healer in our group, tends to stay around 18k HPS, give or take. It's why I feel I'm not doing as well, as I've got 5 ilvl less than they do, I figured I would be doing less overall healing anyway, but I've always felt I'm not doing nearly as well as I should be.

Ehh. Our group can do okay but most of the time, we have difficulty when a lot of mechanics are happening at the same time. Mekkatorque was our wall in Heroic. Every time, someone will take unnecessary damage. We're undermanned, with 10 people being our core raid group.

Mana? I'm nearly always OOM at the end of the fight. Depends on the fight though. We just did Crucible, and during the Cabal, I was OOM pretty quickly. 

I do a lot better, HPS, overall healing and Mana-wise on my Holy Priest. I was asked to change (which is fine by me) so that we have the HoTs. Our other healers are Mistweaver and Resto Shaman. I may just feel like I'm underperforming, because I was doing better on my HPriest, though the two classes are different types of healers, the numbers may just not be fair to compare, I can't help it when I look at the meters.

Should I try switching to Germination? My numbers may go down, but I do want to make sure that my HoTs are helping out the raid overall. Since we do end up taking a lot of unnecessary damage sometimes, I can see why our Raid Leader wanted someone to take R Druid. Or should we all just roll Mistweaver? xD

your gear is very low. at your ilvl u need to prioritise haste to about 16-17 %.and the rest in either crit or mastery. crit if your raid will mainly be spread out or mastery if your raid is mainly stacked up because your using spring blossoms. i dont kno how much u play but by now u shuf have around 410-415 ilv l by do a +10 mythic plus every week it is important if u want to do the mmost healing. 

one thign about resto druid healing is that it is not easy to pull high numbers , resto druid is a pro active healing class and not a reactive healing class as most of our heals in nature are hots (except for swiftmend without trait and regrowth) in order to provide the best output u must know when damage is incoming and acting accordingly. a large amount of the player base use addons for this including bigwigs and deadly boss mods. understanding boss abilities and when to prehot your raid or individuals is what seperates a good healer from an average healer.

14 hours ago, Zhulji said:

Should I try switching to Germination?

In a very small raid it might be helpful, but it is very mana-intensive. So, unless you are in a fight where mana is a non-issue (e.g. Oppulence), I'd rather pick either of the other talents.

14 hours ago, Zhulji said:

I do a lot better, HPS, overall healing and Mana-wise on my Holy Priest.

If you only recently picked up druid, then that's to be expected. It's a very different playstyle to most healers, very proactive as Vampiiric said. You really have to learn the fights and get a good feeling for your mana. It takes practice.

And don't worry about overhealing. It's part of blanketing a whole raid in anticipation for incoming damage. I usually have somewhere between 25-35% overhealing (50% when I push for logs).

Speaking of logs, I guess I could post mine. Maybe there's something in there that might help you out:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/8420736#partition=2&metric=hps&spec=Restoration&difficulty=4

One thing I would recommend btw is getting Alchemy and the current alchemist stone trinket. It's pretty cheap and easy to make, the proc is decent, and the 40% extra from potions essentially gives you a free 10k mana per fight.

18 hours ago, vampiiric said:

at your ilvl u need to prioritise haste to about 16-17 %.and the rest in either crit or mastery

Thank you, I'll look into changing up my stats. This may help a lot. I used Mastery in Legion and did really well, but I honestly didn't check R Druid patch notes with the release of BfA as I was planning on playing DPS. Though, sometimes things don't go according to plan xD Also, I don't play too much. Mythic+ isn't a priority for me, we don't have a group that goes regularly either. So, my gear is limited to whatever is obtainable by WQ's and Raiding, up to Heroic. That's on me though, but this is where I've put my limit.

18 hours ago, vampiiric said:

, resto druid is a pro active healing class and not a reactive healing class as most of our heals in nature are hots

Yeah I think I do pretty well with prepping for heals. I do wait until someone is hurt, or going to be hurt, to put up my Rejuv, as to not waste too much mana. I have bigwigs and watch the timers, watch the spell casts, look out for the raiders and where they're standing. I know when and where to use my Tranq and I have a weakauras with all my CD's right dead center, just below my avatar, so I can see what is coming up and what I need to be ready to recast.

Thanks for the advice vampiiric!

4 hours ago, jinsu2301 said:

If you only recently picked up druid, then that's to be expected. It's a very different playstyle to most healers, very proactive as Vampiiric said. You really have to learn the fights and get a good feeling for your mana. It takes practice.

I played Druid in Legion, so I thought I could just level it up and go back to what I was doing before, but I find out now that it's not the case. I probably do just need more practice for mana management.

I did get the Luminous? Essence? The mana regen for Resto Druids. Switched that out, so I'll be using this instead of the small heal. I hope that will help.

The alchemist stone looks pretty good, I'll have to think about that. Zhulji is an Inscriptionist and half the raid uses Alchemy, so I'd have to weigh the pros and cons of switching my craft. It looks good though.

Thank you both for the responses. I'll see about upping my Haste and get more practice in. Maybe I jumped the gun when it came to worrying. Time to go back to Naz'jatar!