FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Not a Bug List Updated with Melee Leeway

44026-wow-classic-stress-test-details-ju

We're back with the "not a bug" list for the beta, as another entry fills the growing heap! This one's a weird one indeed, as better internet connections since 2006 are to blame. Apparently melee leeway is feeling a bit off for a lot of players, but the culprit is their low latency, which makes the distance you can move away from a mob before you're out of range feel much shorter.

Perhaps this one and the Tauren melee range can cancel each other out?

Blizzard LogoMelee Leeway (source)

I’ve updated the original post in this thread with:

• “Melee leeway” is working as intended.

After careful study and testing, we’ve found that for players with low latency, the state of melee leeway is how they would have experienced the game in 2006.

There are more people with low latency now than there were in 2006, so we expect for some it might feel different, but it is working as expected.

And since we're here, let's just look over the entire "not a bug" list once more:

Blizzard LogoNot a Bug (source)

As we’ve discussed before, the nature of WoW Classic sometimes invokes different memories for different players, and this leads to certain misconceptions for some about what is or isn’t working as intended.

The following is a list of commonly-reported gameplay in WoW Classic that is not actually a bug, and is working as we expect it to:

• Tauren’s hitboxes and their melee reach is slightly larger than other races.
  • Being critically struck while using /sit to sit does not cause abilities like Enrage, Blood Craze, and Reckoning to activate.
  • Using the “Automatic Quest Tracking” option does not auto-track newly accepted quests. (It instead will start to track an existing quest once progress towards an objective is started.)
  • Warrior health Regeneration is working at the expected rate.
  • Quests objectives and points of interests are not tracked on the map or minimap.
  • Completed quests are marked on the minimap with a dot. (and not a “?”)
  • Feared players and NPCs run fast.
  • Standing on top of other players while facing away allows spells and attacks to be used.
  • Creature respawn rates are much slower than in Battle for Azeroth.
  • NPCs which offer multiple quests may inconsistently display them as a dot or a “!” on the available quests list. They were inconsistent in 1.12, and we’ve reproduced the exact inconsistency they had back then.
  • Quests that are too low level for do not show up as a “!” in the game world.
  • Available quests do not display a “!” on the minimap.
  • On level up, the message: “Your skill in Protection increased to 15” was added in 1.12.1, and we’re intending to keep that.
  • You are unable to Polymorph enemy targets that are tapped by players with whom you are not grouped.
  • At all levels of player characters and enemies, aggro radius is set to the intended distance.
  • Long quest objectives don’t have text wrapping.
  • Fall damage is equivalent to expected and verified values.
  • Broadcast text can be seen multiple times if multiple players interact with the same NPC.
  • WANTED signs do not have “!”, and are also not highlighted.
  • Player characters do not animate when looting/interacting with quest objects (e.g. collecting pumpkins).
  • Gnomes and Taurens are the correct size.
  • “Melee leeway” is working as intended.

We appreciate all of your feedback!

• Like 1

I knew we were eventually going to get complaints based on improved PC hardware and internet connections.

Back in classic latency was pretty high and I had barely playable fps on my Packard Bell potato, now my latency to retail is 15ms and my PC significantly better.

Just wait until people step foot into raids and everything "Isn't tuned correctly" or "way easier than I remember" because the servers aren't desperately trying to stay alive and their PCs aren't having a stroke anymore.

41 minutes ago, Yojiro said:

I knew we were eventually going to get complaints based on improved PC hardware and internet connections.

Back in classic latency was pretty high and I had barely playable fps on my Packard Bell potato, now my latency to retail is 15ms and my PC significantly better.

Just wait until people step foot into raids and everything "Isn't tuned correctly" or "way easier than I remember" because the servers aren't desperately trying to stay alive and their PCs aren't having a stroke anymore.

Back then me and my friends did not have high latency (it was around 15ms) and the FPS was also fine because we had gaming PCs. And we were just middle class kids. This might be because we lived in Frankfurt. I guess everyone who lives in the larger cities which had reasonably good internet connections even in 2006 wont notice a change.

The rest definitely will.

But I also think that raids might be easyer than many remember for two reasons. People have played them already back then and the internet provides tons of guides and walkthroughs these days.

Edited by Alkasar

1 hour ago, Alkasar said:

Back then me and my friends did not have high latency (it was around 15ms) and the FPS was also fine because we had gaming PCs. And we were just middle class kids. This might be because we lived in Frankfurt. I guess everyone who lives in the larger cities which had reasonably good internet connections even in 2006 wont notice a change.

The rest definitely will.

But I also think that raids might be easyer than many remember for two reasons. People have played them already back then and the internet provides tons of guides and walkthroughs these days.

Isn't Blizzard's EU WoW data center in Frankfurt? I remember we always speedtested Frankfurt to test connection quality. 15 seems actually quite high in this situation. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kuarinofu said:

Isn't Blizzard's EU WoW data center in Frankfurt? I remember we always speedtested Frankfurt to test connection quality. 15 seems actually quite high in this situation. 

They dont have an official list of their server locations. But the EU side always schedules maintenance after France's time. So they might be around Paris. Which makes sense because the EU headquarters are also around there.

My WC3 Clan mates from Sweden also had below 20ms back then. But they lived near Stockholm. 

In the end you could be living close to the servers and still have a higher ping if your service sucks. But everyone I knew living in the bigger cities never had any noticable latency. So the WoW experience was not different on a technical view. Maybe only for the people living in smaller towns and counties.

Edited by Alkasar

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym
      The honor system has been having a lot of troubles lately, but as we found out in the previous blue post, it's all just  been a display issue with the statistics which they are now in the process of fixing. Since a lot of players aren't trusting these findings/fixes and are convinced something is off for their honor totals, Classic developer Pazorax went in-depth to explain how the system actually works. He reiterated that honor has been calculated correctly this week and emphasized the long, long road towards the higher honor ranks, including a minimum 12 week journey to the very top, and that's only if you're the very best in your faction ever single week.
      Honor (source)
      I know the honor system can be frustrating, and even more so if it feels like you’re not getting credit for your efforts, so I wanted to post and let you know we are looking at people’s honor for the week, and so far all the checks we’ve done indicate that honor was calculated correctly this week.
      As we mentioned before, our data repair job on Monday caused the “This week” totals to display an inflated value for the rest of the day, and that appears to explain a lot of the confusion we’ve seen so far.
      We also know that some players confuse “estimated honor” with actual honor (estimates don’t account for diminishing returns), or confuse honor with rank (honor is earned from kills, rank is based on your relative standing within your faction). The honor system is slow to progress you through the ranks, even in the best case, so many of these reports aren’t a case of the honor going “missing” as much as they’re a case of an unforgiving system giving you less progress toward a rank than you were expecting.
      In addition to being based on your relative standing within your faction, your progress to the next rank also slows down as you reach higher ranks. Achieving the same standing each week won’t award the same amount of progress toward each rank, it awards a fixed percentage of the delta between your current rank, and your current standing. It is actually impossible to achieve rank 14 in less than 12 weeks, and that assumes that you’re the top player on your faction for every one of those 12 weeks.
      Those are all intentional behaviors, and are not bugs, but they can all contribute to a feeling of difficulty progressing through the ranks.
      We also see reports of missing kills when you’re playing during the daily reset job, and we’ve checked that too. In fact, I just checked right now, on some of the people who reported errors in this thread, and last night’s job did calculate their honor correctly. Those kills are still there, its just a display issue, and they’ll show up on the next day’s daily report now that the underlying issue is fixed.
      We are continuing to investigate, but at this time we don’t see any problems in the week 3 data. Once we conclude this investigation we can move on to investigating the problems that occurred during week 1 and 2, and we’re beginning to do that now.
      Thank you again for your patience as we work through these issues.
    • By Stan
      Free Character Moves are closing for all WoW Classic realms on December 5-6. Will paid character transfers be announced soon?
      Blizzard said they were considering paid character transfers in WoW Classic back in September because the service was available in original WoW, but no other paid services beyond that.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Piggy backing on this...will PAID transfers also be a thing should a server drop heavily in population and a player wishes to move to find more activity or reconvene with friends on another server.
      We're considering integrating a character transfer service once players have reached higher levels. This was available in the original WoW. We'll look at the rules we imposed at that time and also discuss the implications of players moving to a new realm. We believe realm identity is an important aspect of Classic so any guidelines around transfers should support this belief.
      Will there be paid services for Classic?
      We aren't considering other services beyond character transfer at this time.
      While we have no specific details to share at this time, Free Character Moves that have been available since the launch of WoW Classic are going away this week, and perhaps, we're not too far away from paid character transfers being integrated into WoW Classic now that players will be locked to low-population servers.
      EU
      Blizzard (Source)
      On 6 December at 1:00 a.m. CET, we will close the Free Character Move service for all realms in this region. We suggest that any player who has not yet taken a planned Free Character Move please do so as soon as possible.
      Thank you very much!
      US
      Blizzard (Source)
      On December 5 at 11:00 a.m. PST (2:00 p.m. EST), we will close the Free Character Move service for all realms in this region. We suggest that any player who has not yet taken a planned Free Character Move please do so as soon as possible.
      Thank you very much!
    • By Stan
      Last week, we reported about a bug in WoW Classic which caused Honor not to calculate between 3-7 AM. Blizzard has now replied that the bug has nothing to do with the previous caching issues and they're pretty close to fixing it.
      The issue was apparently caused by the daily honor script running before the end of the day, causing it to miss kills that haven't yet happened. The good thing is they have all the kills recorded, even though you can't see them in-game, so you won't lose any Honor when this is fixed.
      Blizzard (Source)
      It would be nice to have a blue at least respond saying there is an issue…
      I agree, but unfortunately, we didn’t have the chance to respond sooner. We’ve been investigating, and can now confirm that yes, this is a separate issue, that’s not related to the caching issues we were experiencing previously. The caching issues made it more difficult to uncover this issue, and I appreciate the detailed reports of which kills were missing and over what time range which helped us track this down.
      We’re getting pretty close to fixing this, and it turns out it was caused by the daily honor script running before the end of the day, causing it to miss kills that haven’t yet happened. But worry not! Those kills are still recorded, they just weren’t getting collected into the daily statistics correctly, so they’re not displaying in-game for “yesterday” or “this week” kills/honor. The source of the issue appears to be a scheduling system treating a UTC time as a local time, and we believe we’ve found and fixed that problem a few minutes ago.
      We’re also working on a fix to repair the daily statistics which we’re hoping to run Monday, in advance of the weekly rank adjustment, so it will correctly count all your kills and honor correctly for this week.
      I want to stress, that we do have all the kills recorded, even though you can’t see them all in-game, and we’re working hard to get the weekly statistics correct.
      Thank you for your patience as we untangle this issue.
    • By Stan
      Players are currently reporting a bug in WoW Classic where Honor is not properly calculated between 3-7 AM. We're still waiting for a reply from Blizzard.
      Blizzard (Source)
      I’d like to apologize for being incapable of formatting this in a more legible manner. Hopefully I can get all of this information across.
      My friend and I have done a bulk of our play time during the hours of 3-8 AM PST. After much perceived loss of honorable kills disappearing and achieving extremely sub par honor returns every day and after weekly roll over.
      I then proceeded to catalogue my honorable kills and honor gains.
      My hypothesis being that in the time frame of 3-8 am there is a period where any gains are not being accounted towards weekly standing.
      My findings are as follows.
      Daily and weekly honor resets are happening at 3 AM.
      3-7 AM I had achieved 47 HK totaling 3800 honor.
      7-9 AM I had achieved 36 HK totaling 2800 honor.
      12-7 PM I had achieved 196 HK totaling 7400 honor.
      (All of this honor was calculated including diminishing returns)
      Now if I total all of these honorable kills and honor together; 279 HK 14000 honor.
      Now what happened during reset time of 3 AM you may ask? My total honorable kills were reduced to 213 and honor 9075.
      Obviously 3-9 AM period had rolled over an extra hour but let’s still go with those numbers anyway.
      Let’s take my total 279 HK and 14000 H and subtract my numbers I have gained during the period of 3-9 AM, 83 HK 6600 HONOR we arrive at:
      196 HK 7400 HONOR.
      Now obviously as previously stated I had gone over the 3-8 AM period by an hour with this sample. But it is closer to what was returned on reset than what I had gained.
      Then subtracting just 3-7 AM gains leaves us at:
      232 HK 10200 HONOR.
      Even closer to what was returned after roll over.
      I believe there is something wrong in the code in regards to when a day ends and begins. As current reset time for dungeon/raids is 8 AM, where as the old reset time and also the current honor roll over time is 3 AM.
    • By Stan
      In an effort to remove the ability of addons to extend players' senses and detect enemies, the in-game combat log range has been decreased and now only displays information for units that are within 50 yards of the player.
      The hotfix has been deployed to live realms earlier today together with the fix for Onyxia's buff which prevented buffs from stacking.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Earlier today, we deployed a WoW Classic hotfix to all regions:
      The in-game combat log radius has been fixed, and now only displays information for units that are within 50 yards of the player. This is closer to the original behavior of WoW 1.12, and should eliminate the ability for addons to extend players’ senses and detect enemy actions at a greater distance than intended.
      This fix does not affect text logs that the game outputs for raid parses.