FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Mephisto

Why do I suck?

Hey guys, very new to the class as I already have a Lock, Mage and Hunter, I thought I'd give Element a go.

Very early days at the moment, lvl25, but I'am shocked at the lack of dps I'am having in the current 5 man instances compared to the other classes.

Sure I dont expect to top Recount but I'am constantly fourth without fail.

Again early days so not panic stations but the gap between me and everyone else seems quite big.

As I only have limited spells its a rotaion of opening with Flame shock then Searing Totem, a couple of hits with Lightning Bolt to hopefully get a stack or two up to use Earth Shock for a finishing boost.

I'am worrying over nothing right its just with other classes I've played dps hasnt seemed an issue from early on.

Thanks for any feedback.

Well that's a very big question, but the main thing I'd warn you about is that most levellers these days in dungeons are alts of level 90's. They invariably have heirlooms, and if you don't that will be the reason without a shadow of a doubt. So don't panic, because it wouldn't be expected.

You also find that some classes get awesome abilities earlier than others. Again, no need to panic about that. Keep levelling, and if the difference is the same around level 60 you could start to consider rotations and so on.

You didn't mention Lava Burst in your rotation. Are you using that? It's key to the Elemental playstyle.

Most of the damage that happens in dungeons these days is AoE, so if you have Chain Lightning you should be using that a fair bit. Just make sure it hits 3 targets :)

I hope that helps!

• Like 3

Thanks mate, dont have Lava Burst or Chain Lightning yet so cant use them.

I have 3 heirlooms myself, its difficult to have a good rotation at such a low level I know.

Not giving up just wanted to know if the spec is a late bloomer or if I was doing something wrong.

Edited by Mephisto

I suspect it's a late bloomer, then. I have no idea since I levelled in Wrath in a drunken haze and haven't bothered going back :(

I imagine that once you get Lava Surge around level 50, you should find a much more stimulating rotation!

Also Elemental doesn't really have AoE without Chain Lightning. Earthquake just isn't satisfying :(

It is a late blooming spec. I think I was pretty much at the bottom with my shaman even through Wrath dungeons (part of it because it was my first toon ever and I was still learning rotations and stuff). Things do become lot more fun as you level up, especially with lava surge procs.

Edited by madraslover

an enchanted heirloom weapon and 2 of the intellect heirloom trinkets are probably the most important. ele is very gear dependant. the lower your gear the more important int is.

once you get max lvl it's kind of like playing the pace car. the swing in dps between a good ele and a great ele is pretty small. i was always the worst dps until my gs was up over 525. i was doing good for a while, but then everyone caught up in gear and now im on the low side again unless we're on a fight like dark shaman where CL is number one. (unless a good warlock is around)

• Like 1

Thanks guys, one other thing I noticed was the use of totems.

It seems rare to have all 4 out at once, Searing seems to be the only one being used.

Even on my main toon raiding I haven't noticed totems out on Shammies, are they now not as dominant as they once were?

Also is there an addon or macro that will cast multiple totems at once?

I only have Searing for now so this is really more for info down the track.

Edited by Mephisto

all totems are now on their own gcd, and are more like cds than buffs like they used to be. there is a glyph that puts down 3 decoy totems with each real totem you put down if you miss the old days.

I just finished gettting a Shaman to 90 about 1.5 weeks ago. I found there was a flat spot in Dps between 27 -37 ish but it picks up as you get used to it and get more abilities. Mine is Enhancement /Resto so it,ll be a little different. The issue i had earlier was mana. I found using lighting more than chain lightning (unless its free) got me some mana back and helped out. Learn the totems having the right ones up really helps.

I played a 5 man last week with another shaman and he was ele.  I asked him how he liked it and he said he didn't but admitted that was just him, he said he wasn't used to so much casting.

The way to see if your set up right is when you see a guy of a similar level/ class and he's doing much better, 1 ask him , 2 look him up. See if he's set up different for spec / talents / gear etc. That's mostly more helpfull at higher levels though.

www.wow-heroes.com

M.

So I dont need 4 totems out on every fight anymore?

I tried to look Leeds up in the armory but he doesnt exist anymore according to it to see what his stats were.

Always happy to check people out to make sure I'am heading in the right direction.

I had an Enhance shammy years ago but hated the melee aspect of it, since then all my 90's have been ranged dps so thats why I chose Elemental for this guy I'am leveling.

I guess I'am just used to a little more grunt early on.

It's a very different experience for elemental and enhancement; once you have Rolling Thunder (is the lightning shield charges thing still called that?) spamming Chain Lightning is actually mana-positive, while enhancement can't sustain hardcasting even if you're in melee.  Elemental's damage rotation is very straightforward as far as specs go (up there with Frost DKs for simple), and in low level dungeons that's all you'll be doing, so it's understandable that it'll be pretty boring.  The interesting part, and the thing that separates bad shamans from good ones, is CD usage... and we have more CDs than anyone else.  I think I've cast every spell in our repetoire in a raid encounter over the course of MoP; even the traditionally pvp-oriented ones like Capacitor Totem and Grounding Totem.  (Except Primal Strike.  You probably didn't even know you had that.)  Since spending a GCD on "not attacking" is almost always a dps loss, you can't just use them on cooldown either.  For example, healing stream totem will nearly always help your healers, but is it more important to give them that little nudge or to focus on killing an add, or phasing a boss?

The long and short of it is "it gets better" and "it's much more interesting in difficult content".  I tried to level a warlock recently and was amazed to learn that destruction doesn't get Burning Embers/Chaos Bolt (the management of which is basically the entire play of the spec) until level 42, so we're not the only people with boring leveling.  Look forward to Warlords of Draenor and the insta-90.

And you are correct, you don't need 4 totems out all the time.  In fact, you can't, since the everything except the fire totems have longer CDs than uptime.  Back in Cataclysm they were fire-and-forget buffs, but now they actually DO stuff.  Think of Searing Totem like a DoT, and the rest like CDs; our CDs just have health bars.  (This almost never comes up in PvE.  It is also one of the primary reasons Magma Totem is terrible.)

• Like 1

So I dont need 4 totems out on every fight anymore?

The change from Cataclysm's "constant buffs" to MoP's "cooldowns" mechanics means that usually you don't want all four totems out. Getting the totems used at the right time will get you more points than getting as many out as possible :)

I tried to look Leeds up in the armory but he doesnt exist anymore according to it to see what his stats were.

A common mistake, that we warn everyone about here, is assuming that what the "top players" do is necessarily what you should do. It rarely is. Look at what other people of the same level of play as you are doing. Look at someone on your server who you respect. That will give you a better idea of where to go next :)

Once your Ascending around with a pet Fire Elemental at your Spirit Walking heels you will forget about those other classes you used to play.

SO MUCH THIS

Ta guys, I found Leeds and checked out his armory.

Mainly wanted to see what stats he had at end game so I know what to work towards when I get there, wont be much help to me now at lvl38 and probably wont even get near the same gear ever.

The thing I'am noticing the most for a dps loss is cast times and cd's, everything just seems so slow.

Theres not too much instant stuff.

I'am thinking haste is a factor later on to resolve this.

As for totems they seem situational apart from Searing that I always have up, not a huge cast time issue just something else to hit to slow a cast down on something else.

Are then any beneficial macro's for now and later that I can use that will help with dps and playability that are worthwhile?

I also use Tellmewhen, is this better than Weakaura's for the class?

I know some addons pickup things more class specific than others.

What should I be tracking to keep an eye on?

I have Lava Burst, Flame Shock and number of stacks on Lightning Shield up on Tellmewhen is there anything else I need?

Thanks again guys awesome help, not giving up on the class just trying to understand the mechanics better.

They made ele super slow across the board so we could stack more haste. Great for high end raiders, prolly kinda lame leveling. Don't worry, chain lightning is a fast cast.

The lower your ilvl the more important int is. Up to about 510 it's the best.

Aside from macroing /stopcasting into your defensive CDs, ele doesn't need much fuss.

Have tmw track if flame shock is on your target and show a timer for it.

Thats something else I forgot to ask, using Chain Lightning get the stacks up quicker as opposed to Lightning Bolt so I can use Earth Shock quicker, this is the preferred way correct?

Lightning Bolt is good for when your on the run and the tank just wont stop and runs/pulls everything in site a mile ahead of you whereas Chain Lightning is a good stationary spell to get the charges up.

I think I got that bit right, the only issue is Chain Lightning is a bit of a mana drain.

The slow casting though is killing dps whilst leveling, its really discouraging to be trying your best to climb up the dps chart only to be held back.

Would taking up Herbalism for the Haste increase be worthwhile?

I havent started any trades as yet, already leveled up Engineering on my Lock so didnt want to do it twice so been checking the guides for a good alternative.

I can usually hit third now so thats my goal to stay there or better, fourth just wont cut it.

Edited by Mephisto

Lightning bolt is for single target and chain lightning is for 2 or more

I would suggest raiding professions if you want to raid end game on that toon.

Blizzard doesn't really care about dps below max level. It's just something you tough out.

Professions are a very small percentage of overall performance, you can go with whatever you want. My ele shaman is an Herbalist/Inscription, but I don't raid on him anymore. That being said, I like the Herbalism cd when macroed with Ascendance, more Lava Burst casts going out within that window.

Honestly, when I leveled my shammy through vanilla/bc/wrath, I dungeoned as Resto, cause for 5-mans it's BOSS.  Earth Shield is OP.  Chain Heal is OP.  Riptide is awesome.  Earthliving is awesome.  And you have enough mana that you don't have to worry about wasting on overheals, just keep everyone topped all the time.