FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

WoW Classic Stress Test: Players Form Lines to Complete Quests

Ah14HA5.jpg

This funny video was taken just a few moments ago during the final global stress test. It shows players forming a line to finish their quest in Durotar.

A player shared an interesting video with us, with players queuing up to kill Sarkoth on Classic Beta. Sarkoth's Mangled Claw Sarkoth's Mangled Claw is an item required for the Sarkoth quest and on Beta, players waited in line on their turn to complete the quest.

The original video is in German. The person says: "This is what I call a gamer community."

The second person replies that it's extremely unlikely that something similar would ever happen on live servers. What do you think?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alsurag said:

Didnt something like this happen in mist, in the pandaren starting zone where you had to set flame to a scroll?

Its happened a few times in the history of WoW. This is one of the times yes.

I'd have to agree with the 2nd person there. Sure it might happen from time to time, but not likelly at all. People are more rushed than ever, both when at work and home. Thus making it a rushfest when they want to play games that require a lot of time spent to become all-powerful, or simply the best (they can be). And since games are that common now for everyone, we have more trolls --> on live if someone tried to do this, lots of people would go crazy and do their best to ruin the 'line'. 

But hey, I might be wrong. I hope people will have a great time in Classic!

Edit: 

Heck I feel that I might fit under the 'rushed' gamer at times. Especially when Classic comes out (which makes me sad because I want to take my  time and enjoy it). Playing on Live & Classic will be time consuming, which means time that most don't have. Thereby one has to either play over a loooong period of time to get your goals, or simply rush through things as best you can - which in time sucks cause you lose the 'play' in a game, making it a choore/work. 

Edited by Znifler

3 hours ago, dartbodman said:

I think that players lined up to wait to complete a quest objective is a sign of bad game design.

It is, but when vanilla was released there wasn't the tech to allow so many to kill at once and loot like there is now. And so classic must be the same! They are using layering/sharding/w.e to help with this, but the limitation is still there. 

Also beyond the launch of an MMO, there's few occasions where this situation would occur, as there will be people at multiple levels doing quests around the world, ofc at launch of the base/expansion, there's only so many places to start!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dartbodman said:

I think that players lined up to wait to complete a quest objective is a sign of bad game design.

Back in the very early days of Anarchy Online, the NPCs you got your quests from couldn't multi-task, and could only speak to one person at a time. It wasn't uncommon for trolls to open dialog with the quest giver, then go afk for hours.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheCrazyAussie said:

Back in the very early days of Anarchy Online, the NPCs you got your quests from couldn't multi-task, and could only speak to one person at a time. It wasn't uncommon for trolls to open dialog with the quest giver, then go afk for hours.

I think I would rage quit, that would trigger me so bad.

reminds me when cata first launched and the bloody cat in the worgen starting zone, had to go to bed and log in at 4 in the morning to attempt to finish the quest. good times?

11 hours ago, dartbodman said:

Yea, you should get youself a time machine and travel back in time to tell Blizzard they did a bad job of making game design in 2004

Reminds me of what happened in FFXIV when Stormblood launched. Players across multiple servers (across the world in different Data Centers) all made lines for an instanced fight everyone had to do for story progression (because everything in that game's locked behind the story questline), due to servers being unable to generate enough instances for everyone to do said solo-instance. I'd not be surprised if this DID happen on live, because it is arguably the most efficient way of doing this.

This happened on live servers at the start of WoD on the german RP-PVP server Kult der Verdammten.

Edited by narq
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym
      The previously mentioned punitive measures have arrived for those that exploited the instance reset bug that was hotfixed today, and the suspensions are ranging from 1 month to permanent bans, presumably based on previous infractions, as well as all items gained from the exploit getting removed. We don't know the exact details of what criteria was used for the suspension, but Lore did come out and very clearly explained what is considered an exploit in this case and why it's different from similar situations (specifically the MC resetting bug), and as always, the key word is intent.

One of the suspension mails, posted on reddit.
      You can check out the full explanation from Lore below and also read up on the various lengths of the suspensions in the reddit thread.
      Exploit Clarification (source)
      Soooooo since I’m seeing a lot of confusion (here and elsewhere), here’s some insight into how we draw the line between what makes something a punishable exploit versus a “happy little accident.”
      The key factor here is intent. Did the player do something with the specific intention of causing a glitch to occur, and did they do it order to exploit said glitch for their own benefit?
      This recent glitch makes a pretty clean example. The players who were abusing it had to do some Very Weird Stuff to cause it to occur, and then did so repeatedly. No reasonable person would expect that this behavior was intended, and the players involved had to go out of their way to cause it. It’s obviously unintended, it’s obviously a glitch, and the people who abused it were obviously exploiting said glitch for their own benefit. That’s pretty open and shut.
      Someone mentioned Esfand’s random MC reset in this thread, which is a pretty clean example of the other end of the spectrum. In that case, they just turned up to raid and the instance had been reset. They didn’t do anything intentional to cause it or go looking for reproduction steps so they could abuse it - in fact, they reported it to us and didn’t continue until they got confirmation that it was out of their control (and that we wouldn’t consider it an exploit if they cleared).
      Side note for the curious: that was a completely separate bug that has existed since 2004, and actually happened several times back then, it just wasn’t being broadcast to thousands of viewers at the time.
      Obviously, neither situation is ideal - we try our best to provide a fair playing field for everyone - but there’s a pretty massive difference between “the instance is reset and we don’t know why” and “if we do this One Weird Trick we can infinitely farm this dungeon boss.” That’s the key factor that turns something from an accident into an exploit.
      This ended up being longer than I expected so I’ll wrap it up with one last caveat: there is a lot of context and nuance that goes into these situations, and they’re not usually as cut and dry as these two examples. We end up making a lot of judgement calls based on the specifics of each exploit as well as their overall impact on the game (the phrase “clever use of game mechanics” originally came from one such convoluted situation). These two cases just happen to be pretty obvious.
    • By Stan
      If you're playing WoW Classic, chances are you'll find it cumbersome to navigate through main cities which is why Blizzard posted a handy city guide, starting with Stormwind.
      Tip: If you're having trouble finding trainers, vendors, weapon masters, and other NPCs, talk to a guard, pick whatever you're looking for and the location will be marked on your map ("M").
      Blizzard (Source)
      Navigating the capital cities in of Azeroth is a different affair in WoW® Classic. Finding the trainers and supplies you need can take a little extra time to adjust to, so we’ve put together a handy guide to point you in the right direction.
      QUICK INDEX OF LOCATIONS
      *Weapon Trainer: (20) Located in the Trade District, Weapon Master Woo Ping can train in crossbows, polearms, staves, and two-handed swords
      Profession Trainers Class Trainers Alchemy- The Mage Quarter (3) Druid- The Park (10) Blacksmithing- The Dwarven District (15) Hunter- The Dwarven District (13) Engineering- The Dwarven District (12) Mage- The Mage Quarter (5) Enchanting- The Mage Quarter–Canal Side (24) Paladin- Cathedral Square (11a) Leatherworking- Old Town (19) Priest- The Park (10), Cathedral Square (11b) Tailoring- The Mage Quarter (2 and 6) Rogue- Old Town (18) Cooking- Old Town (16) Warlock- The Mage Quarter (4) First Aid- Cathedral Square (11c) Warrior- Old Town (17) Fishing- The Trade District–Canal Side (23) Poison Supplies- Old Town (18) Herbalism- The Mage Quarter (1 and 9) Reagents- Cathedral Square(11c), The Trade District (22) Mining- The Dwarven District (14) Stable Master- The Park (8), The Dwarven District (13) Skinning- Old Town (19) Tip: Don’t forget you can speak to one of the many guards located throughout the city to get directions. They can point you to the Auction House, Bank, Deeprun Tram, Inns, Gryphon Master, Guild Master, Mailboxes, Stable Masters, Weapons Trainer, Officers’ Lounge, Battlemasters, Class Trainers, and Profession Trainers. They’ll mark your map with a red flag to indicate where you need to go.
      CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE FULL INDEX OF LOCATIONS
    • By Starym
      It seems some players have been abusing a bug and repeatedly re-clearing dungeon (or perhaps even raid?) encounters. It's unclear from the wording, but this either means that players have been doing more than the 5 resets of a dungeon per hour or maybe even repeatedly clearing raid bosses despite the weekly lockout. In any case, Blizzard will be applying a hotfix under 7 hours from now and will also be looking to punish those that abused this exploit. Many players on the official forums are already calling for permanent bans for the ones doing this.
      Instance Reset Hotfix (source)
      We’ve recently become aware of a bug that could be exploited to allow instanced encounters to be completed repeatedly. We have developed a fix for the issue, and we are in the process of deploying it worldwide.
      Realm restarts are scheduled for 3:00 a.m. PDT (6:00 a.m. EDT) in order to apply this fix.
      As soon as possible, we will identify those who knowingly abused this bug in exploitative manner. We will then take appropriate punitive measures.
      As a reminder, Blizzard’s End User License Agreement defines cheats as “methods not expressly authorized by Blizzard, influencing and/or facilitating the gameplay, including exploits of any in-game bugs, and thereby granting you and/or any other user an advantage over other players not using such methods.”
      As always, thank you for your feedback on this matter.
    • By Starym
      After we took a look at the state of DPS in WoW Classic, or more specifically the pre-raid geared rankings, it's time to go over the tanks and healers as well! As last time, the lists are to determine which class will be the best in a raid environment, with exclusively the best available pre-raid gear and consumables. As always, these tier lists aren't the be all and end all of determining which class is the best for everything, but it's a good indicator of the general power of each.

Definitely check out the full guides (Tank, Healer) , as they delve into the specifics for each class, as well as fully detail the reasons for the rankings and more.
      Tanks
      Warrior (S-Tier) Druid (B-Tier) Paladin (D-Tier) Healers
      Priest (S-Tier) Shaman (A-Tier) Paladin (A-Tier) Druid (B-Tier) The tanks and healers get a look this time around.
    • By Starym
      This is a very special fan art series that I've been following since the fist post over on the WoW reddit, with artist Vlad "Valdihr" Harabagiu creating some truly amazing animated series/cartoon style pieces of his own Classic journey. Before talking any more about the art and its style, let's just immediately take a look at the first piece in the "A Classic Journey" series, done in Photoshop:

"Sarkoth"
      I thought I would die out here with none to know of it. While I was hunting the scorpids of the Valley, I came across a particularly vicious-looking one. Hurling myself at it, I managed to inflict a massive blow to its claw before it closed around my leg. I wasn't ready for its stinger though, and it sliced down and into my chest, cutting into my flesh and letting my blood. Please, you must kill the scorpid for me! My honor must be upheld! I fought it up on the plateau to the south.
      The first one immediately captures the WoW essence and truly looks like a still taken from a WoW Classic cartoon, making me really angry this isn't a real TV show (or animated movie at least). Each image is named after a quest and is linearly tracking Valdihr's journey through the quests of Classic, starting with the above. Some images also come with a short comment about the stage of the game itself, with the first one getting an intro for the whole series:

"Slaying the beast"
      The primary task set upon me by our great Warchief is to root out the creatures responsible for infesting our lord's great city with demonic influence. The Burning Blade is one threat, but there are others; the Searing Blade for instance, who make their home in Ragefire Chasm, secretly attempting to subvert innocent members of the Horde. If they are to be stopped, then their leader must be slain--a Felguard named Taragaman the Hungerer. Kill him, and his heart will appease Thrall, of this I'm sure.
      Each piece takes Valdhir around 6 hours to make over 2 days and he's been going very hard at this particular series, focusing on his work (and WoW, obviously) to get these done and follow his trip through Classic.

"Echeyakee"
      Whitemist, Echeyakee in the Tauren tongue, is the king of the savannah cats. He hunts with such stealth, they say he's like a thin, white mist on the earth. And he kills so fast his prey have no time for fear, or pain. The Tauren say he is both mercy and death. You will learn if that's true, for I now set you on the path to hunt Echeyakee. His lair is northeast of the Crossroads, among the bones of giant Kodo. Go. Blow this horn when you reach his lair. Blow the horn, and he will come.
      As you can see he is playing Horde and following that story and quest line, and has actually swapped characters already, playing on Noggenfrogger EU. He started with a hunter and has since switched  to an Undead warrior, at level 26 now.

"Lost in battle"
      We battled in a small tauren camp when we were separated--she held three of the Bristlebacks off by herself. But the odds began to overwhelm us. I led some away only to see her overwhelmed by newcomers. In my rage, I turned to face my enemies, but they brought me down easily with their vast numbers.
      I awoke to a tauren druid tending my wounds--he had come across me on the Gold Road as I fell.
      Please, find some sign of my wife.
      The iconic barrens "Mankirk's wife" quest, while memed about a lot, is actually pretty emotional and one of the highlights of the zone. The expression in Mankirk's face in the image really brings out the emotion, which is a very impressive feat for a still.
      He was also asked about doing class specific quests:

"Wailing Caverns"
      The druids in the Wailing Caverns, the Druids of the Fang, are an aberration. They were part of an order of noble druids whose plan was to heal the Barrens, but now seek to remake that land to match their own, twisted dreams. The Druids of the Fang have four leaders, and each possesses a dream gem. Even now their faces haunt me! Defeat the leaders and bring me their gems, and the Barrens may again know peace. Go. You will find them lurking deep within the Wailing Caverns.
      While the above isn't directly tied to a specific quest, the Leaders of the Fang is the main dungeon goal, so a quote from that seemed appropriate. And while not exactly very cinematic, perhaps an image of the entire party looking around and being lost would have been more appropriate, with several "never coming back here again" speech bubbles.

"Betrayal from Within"
      Three of my tribe came out of the Kraul to lead the raids against the Horde. <snort> They are ruthless and cunning, and if you defeat them, then your Crossroads and even most of the Barrens will learn peace... <snort> at least from the Razormane tribe. <snort> Nak, Kuz, and Lok Orcbane are the ones you seek. They are far to the south of the Barrens. One is a spell caster, another a tracker, and their leader, the one called Orcbane, <snort> a warrior. Kill them, like they have killed me.
      The series is planned to go on to level 60 and end with raids, and for those saddened by the horde focus, don't worry:

Shockingly, even something as amazing as this wasn't enough to bridge the Modern/Classic feud, as some users were upset the images were posted on the main WoW reddit, instead of the Classic one. But, the bright side is that we'll be seeing a lot more of these, as Vladhir has even started up a Patreon, and is also taking commissions, which bodes well for the future.
      I simply cannot overstate how impressive and incredible these are, and how much they really make me yearn for an actual WoW cartoon series - especially with Castlevania and the upcoming Cuphead and Devil May Cry animated series being a thing. I rarely go into the "Blizzard, hire this man" type of thing, but, uhh, Blizzard? Hire this man.
      Valdihr takes us on an incredible art journey through his own Classic experience.