FORUMS
Steppenwolff

Pet Aggro vs Hunter Aggro

Hi,

Not having an issue with playing the Hunter in Classic, but the Aggro management is crazy and I'm not sure that I have done all the things necessary to be able to do more damage from the guns/bows/crossbows than the pet ... 

Pulling with an arrow, brings the mob to me, and the pet (I am using a Wolf for now) does not have anything that pulls the mob to itself, meaning the mob will come straight to the Hunter.

To get around this a small bit, I made a macro to send the pet first wait a second or two and then Auto Shoot first before using any of the more damaging shots ... 

Is there something else that should be done? The Talent tree is very poor for Beast Mastery (my spec!), and there is NOTHING on the pet aggro except more damage here and there after 15 points or so, and such ... still nothing for the pet to hold aggro of any kind.

Thanks in advance for your assist

Few things to consider

- Do you have the highest rank of growl trained to the pet and auto casting?

- Have you tamed pets with higher rank abilities? eg Bite 1 only does 7-9 damage whereas Bite 2 is 16-18

- Always send your pet in to attack before you start attacking, you can macro pet attack to hunter's mark

- If you gain threat stop attacking use some of your abilities to drop threat ( Feign Death, Disengage) or just switch to monkey and take a few hits

- Look at the pet you're using, is it alot lower than you and therefore missing attacks or is it a tankier pet that has lower damage but higher health/armour. Attack speed can play a factor as well, pet dps is equal but a pet with 1.2 speed will be quicker to get on a mobs threat table.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 4:17 PM, inanimate said:

- Do you have the highest rank of growl trained to the pet and auto casting?

- Always send your pet in to attack before you start attacking, you can macro pet attack to hunter's mark

- If you gain threat stop attacking use some of your abilities to drop threat ( Feign Death, Disengage) or just switch to monkey and take a few hits

Hi,

My WOLF does not show "Growl" even though I have spec'd it (purchased it) ... and it is not listed in the Pet Menu at all! The Wolf was Level 9 and got it as soon as I hit level 10. It takes about 1/4 to 1/3 of the next level for the pet to come up to my level, which is a problem, I'm sure ... so at 30 I got to STV and it's all 31,32 and 33 for a while (Tigers, Panthers, Kurzen Camp) and the pet can not handle much ... and cannot maintain aggro. If I shoot ONCE, I get the aggro.

I do have a macro to send the pet, and also needed it on my Warlock! 

I mostly use Aspect of the Monkey, since you can't use the Hunter's Mark anyway, as the aggro will be immediate.

My thoughts are that the pet being 2 to 3 levels "lower" can not maintain aggro and is getting too many resists, specially at the start. The Warlock has the same problem, until the pet is same level as the mob.

I'm just about done with this "Classic" ... the aggro was not that bad in the original, and this whole "experience" is ridiculous ... mail taking an hour! ... some things were improvements in the game to make it more playable ... not revert back to the bad, and really ugly first days ... when things were not designed properly.

Some oddities.

The wolf I got from Elwynn Forest is a dead duck.

So I turned 30 and immediately went to a spot where I could get a Lvl 30 Hyena/Wolf, and got a Hyena in Desolace, which is working out well, although it is still a bit weak on the aggro, but I have Feign Death now, and it helps.

Funny issue ... tells you how Blizzard "cheats" you, figuring you know the game anyway ... so I turn 30 by doing a couple of pets in Desolace, and find the right spot, and immediately cleared the wolf and got the Hyena ... no issues ... Level 30 pet and I'm only at 5 to 6% into the same level ... guess what ... I turned 31, and have gone 25% of the level and the Hyena is still level 30 pet! So, the pet level is SET in STONE for when the pet gets its level?

I found that cheap and sick! 

Once you purchase a growl rank, you then have to train it. Go into you spellbook, go to the general tab, you should then see "Beast Taraining" go into that and then train all ranks of growl. This goes with all spells you purchase. Growl is probably the most importants as it allows the pet to maintain aggro alot better. Also make sure you train stamina and armor. as well as other ranks of bite,claw,dash.charge ect. Most of the Skills (i.e growl,dash,bite,claw,charge) will be free.. armor and stamina will cost training points.. You get these by keeping your pet happy at all times by feeding it constantly. Good luck and have fun. I hope this clears up some things for you.

On 10/1/2019 at 4:40 PM, Steppenwolff said:

Some more oddities.

Hi,

So I got a Hyena from Desolace, because it had a few of the needed/desire bits ... I had just turned 30 so I wanted a pet on the same level ... got one ... 

Now here come the oddities!!!

1. I leveled 31 and the pet remained at 30 until I was 33% of my Level 31

2. I leveled 32, and my pet did level to 32 until I was at 41% of my level

3. Looked at the pet stats ... and considering all the stuff that I had purchased, specifically the RESISTS ... the Hyena pet did not show any ... so in effect, all the crap I purchased for the pet, is not listed and it's pretty obvious that something is missing ... 

At 32 my level and pet at 32 -- mind you that I can not use any of the "named" shots, all of which pull the aggro IMMEDIATELY from the Pet to me! At least now I have FD, but the frustration of an useless pet is scary ... and what used to be the best pet, a Wolf, (Hyena has same basics is why I got as there was no wolf at 30 that I could get easily!), has not only been nerf'd ...it seems that the definitions of "offensive" "defensive" and "balanced" for pets in several websites ... is a joke, and something invented by folks with nothing better to do but invent information! (sorry about the anger there!)

Hyena doing Level 30 Tigers is fine ... loses 20% of its health

Hyena doing Level 31 Tigers is fine ... loses 40% of its health

Hyena doing Level 32 Tigers is fine ... loses 60% of its health

Hyena doing Level 33 Tigers is not fine ... loses aggro twice and ends at about 20% of its health

Hyena doing Level 34 Tigers requires several heals and so on.

Next, and worst ... is when I turned 33 and these numbers got about 10% worse, and it was then that in the "Pet" tab, its resists that were purchased are missing, and that all the stuff you bought for the pet from its trainer ... does not exist, and the pet is worthless ...

Assumption:

That Blizzard expects you to get ONE pet and keep it to the end of the game ... the idea/thought that the stuff you purchased as stuff for the pet is not only missing, but is not being used at all ...

I would appreciate a little help from the community, because as of right now, this is a rip off and not worth of hanging around ... at 33 I can barely maintain 3 to 4 Gold and this includes selling all the mickey mouse drops ... and some folks think the whole thing is perfect as it is ... the PET in this game, has never been this weak, and rarely lost its aggro, or was so over matched by a mob of its own level ... this is plain wrong, and no one in the community is helping take a look at it, so we can file a formal request to fix things ... 

The fact that all the stuff you buy from the Pet Trainer is not showing anywhere, is to me ... the worst.

Edited by Steppenwolff

go to general tab in spellbook look for beast training and the learn all the pet abilities esp growl armor and stam as someone alrdy mentioned then u wont have as hard a time with threat

On 10/7/2019 at 10:39 PM, Steppenwolff said:

That Blizzard expects you to get ONE pet and keep it to the end of the game ... the idea/thought that the stuff you purchased as stuff for the pet is not only missing, but is not being used at all ...

The fact that all the stuff you buy from the Pet Trainer is not showing anywhere, is to me ... the worst.

Yes. Get one til you are a lot higher.  Stable your pet every once in a while and go tame something that will give you higher ranking abilities. Then use that pet and those abilities til you get a message saying you have learned those abilities. Then abandon that pet and go get your main pet out of the stable and teach the abilities to it. Use your book to purchase the ability with points. If they arent on your action bar already put them there. You can also buy skills from the pet trainer (stamina, resists). You dont need to train from 1 to whatever. Just go get the highest available to your pet.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 12:47 AM, TheCrazyScot said:

Yes. Get one til you are a lot higher.  Stable your pet every once in a while and go tame something that will give you higher ranking abilities. Then use that pet and those abilities til you get a message saying you have learned those abilities. Then abandon that pet and go get your main pet out of the stable and teach the abilities to it. Use your book to purchase the ability with points. If they arent on your action bar already put them there. You can also buy skills from the pet trainer (stamina, resists). You dont need to train from 1 to whatever. Just go get the highest available to your pet.

There is a really good guide on Classic petopia which pets have which talents.   Every 8 levels or so, I go stable my pet and go on a round the world tour with a variety of pet foods and tame all the pets which have spells I want my pet to have, or to pickup some of the other spells other pets might use.   You have to use that pet until it learns you that spell.  I also pickup the lower level ones in case I want to balance out.

Recommendation when using the "Beast Training" spell (with your pet out)

Growl max (it's free anyway, no cost, just have to buy it at the trainer)
Attacks max (these are cheap anyway, point wise)
Dash/Charge/Furious Howl/Dive/Screech/Scorpid Poison max
Then balance Great Stamina, Natural Armor and any resistances how you want.

Pet retraining is 10s until like the 3rd or 4th one, and it seems to reset daily.  ( I only found that out cause I forgot growl until late in the talenting, and it wouldn't let me add it, then the next time I forgot claw....)

This means you can tune your pet to dungeons, raids or PVP.  For instance, in PVP I give my pet max frost resistance, almost the top level stam and as much armor as I have left over.

Edited by Eyeroll

Uncommon Patron

I suggest a carrion bird or wind serpent. Carrion birds have dive (increased speed attacking target) and screech. Screech is great for melee attacks which is what the pet is doing anyway! Blasts a single enemy for damage and lowers the melee attack power of all enemies in melee range. Effect lasts 4 sec.

wind serpents have lightning breath so they attack single targets from range. Tame the highest level of pet class you want. For example, my salt flats vulture came with Screech 2. In order to earn Screech 3, I will have to stable him at 48 and tame an iron beak owl. “Learn” the skill then abandon the owl, retrieve the vulture and teach him the new level. Get the highest armor, stamina you can afford. Pets can only learn four active abilities! This is important as pets have up to six active abilities available to them. I chose growl (for aggro), dive, screech, and bite. You can retrain your pets for a cost from the pet trainer in a major city. 
 When choosing a pet, consider what they food they need. My carrion bird can eat either meat or fish so easy to keep him and me fed. 

In the spell book one of the tabs shows a sling shot. The sling shot is the key, you click on the sling shot and you will see all the training available to you. One of the training hunters trains additional pet abilities. You can only train your pet an ability that is within his level the same constraint as put onto your character. If a pet has an innate ability, then that pet will teach it to you over time, such as "charge" (boar) or "screech" (owl) or "howl" (wolf). Your pet will always be below your character level. If you train a pet much below your character level he will not be able to hold aggro well, so fight lower level enemies until the pet levels up closer to your level. Boring and time consuming but that is what needs to be done. Keep the pet well feed and therefore happy and he will level quicker. As the pet gains experience he gains experience points to put into pet abilities so keep an eye on that so you can train them when the points add up. Growl is the critical one for the pet to keep aggro and you do not need pet points to train for the low level Growl abilities, just remember if you have Growl 4 and the pet is very low level you might only be able to train for Growl 1. Lastly when working with a group and you have a tank who is going to be holding the aggro then turn growl off, but remember to turn it back on once you don't have a tank in your group.