FORUMS
Stan

Avoiding Guards in Neutral Cities Qualifies as Terrain Exploitation

kTBcHil.png

Using terrain and buildings to avoid guards in neutral cities is against the rules in WoW Classic and can get you into trouble!

A Game Master confirmed in chat linked by Redditor KazmaticsTV that getting atop buildings to avoid guards in PvP qualifies as terrain exploitation, which can lead to warnings, and possibly, suspensions.

kwzokpgsutn31.png

Image courtesy of Redditor KazmaticsTV (Source)

Another post dealing with the same subject has amassed 15.2K upvotes so far and was written by Redditor BussyBlastBismallah who reported a person in Gadgetzan for using the exploit to kill people and was for some reason contacted by a Game Master who issued a warning, because the player was apparently indulging in exploitative behavior too, based on player reports.

lcdzu7h0b9o31.png

Image courtesy of Redditor BussyBlastBismallah (Source)

The roof camping problem was fixed when Blizzard added a Gadgetzan Sniper in the Burning Crusade, as pointed out by Redditor Eredun. You can find his suggestions to the issue here.

Would you like to see the NPC added in WoW Classic despite the fact it wasn't present in Vanilla?  Let us know your thoughts in the comments!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CaperfinWoW said:

This is just silly... really going on rooftops? Funnily enough, I don't think this would have been a problem in Vanilla. The GM's would just reply "just get good".

It was an issue. I remember a spot in silithus were you could jump an a roof. I once did that with my hunter and snipered then all because it was possible two hitting people with aimed shot. Guards didnt had a path and it was barely possible to get on the roof in time for oposite faction. After a while a got a whisper from a gm. He clarified i'm terrain exploiting. I really wasn't aware of that, because it was allowed to use terrain to LOS mobs and even in onyixias liar it was not forbidden to jump on the border. 

But i think you wont get a ban if its your first warning 🙂

• Like 1

Is this supposed to be a Classic only thing? Cause people have done it all the time in WoW. I remember that pillar at the entrance of Timeless Isle in Pandaria that people needed to use the seagull to reach and would then kill players down there who couldn't fight back without getting swarmed by the guards. Now in BFA they do it on top of one of the structures in the main city on Mechagon.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mtmf said:

Is this supposed to be a Classic only thing? Cause people have done it all the time in WoW. 

I suspect they're far less concerned about it these days because there are more ways to counterattack. Flying, Death Grip, Heroic Leap and Grappling hook, etc. Even if you don't have anything, odds on somebody around you has.

• Thanks 1

I don't pvp but this seem utterly silly. If you can avoid dying by any means available in game how can it be an exploit? Don't design buildings that can be accessed in such a way if you don't want people to get on top of them.

6 hours ago, Allseye said:

It was an issue. I remember a spot in silithus were you could jump an a roof. I once did that with my hunter and snipered then all because it was possible two hitting people with aimed shot. Guards didnt had a path and it was barely possible to get on the roof in time for oposite faction. After a while a got a whisper from a gm. He clarified i'm terrain exploiting. I really wasn't aware of that, because it was allowed to use terrain to LOS mobs and even in onyixias liar it was not forbidden to jump on the border. 

But i think you wont get a ban if its your first warning

really? im shocked that's the case. I remember something similar involving Ironforge and wall jumping and the GM's were only worried people got to some places with the aid of "programs". 

Adding the sniper in "before" he existed is the best cleanest solution. It doesn't require modifying anything physical so you can still climb up there for the nostalgia look without ruining others fun.

Terrain exploits are more common to be punished in PVP than PVE. Using a exploit against Ony doesn't ruin other players fun. Especially in places like Gadgetz where you can literally be camped for a bit if the person is on top of their casts/shots as you rez and most quest givers are in range. IF did have a similar thing with in-game wall jumping, no programs required, that you could get on some roofs and really bully lower level players as even a rogue (most common was a druid though) to avoid the upgraded guards later in patches and that GY is way further away than the others mentioned.

It was a problem in Orgrimmar in vanilla since there were so few ways to counterattack.   Someone could run out, blow all their stuff, and run out of line of sight...and without flying, death grip, etc it was very hard to counter, especially when you had to wall leap or fall from a great height to get onto the roof.

11 hours ago, Tupi said:

I don't pvp but this seem utterly silly. If you can avoid dying by any means available in game how can it be an exploit? Don't design buildings that can be accessed in such a way if you don't want people to get on top of them.

So, first off...are you bloody mental?  Doing something that makes you literally invincible (ie "avoid dying by any means available in game") is not an exploit?  Perhaps you simply don't understand what the word actually means in gaming.  Either way, that's absolutely an exploit.

Second, it's unlikely that these buildings WERE designed in such a way.  Players find ways to break the laws of "what should be" all the time.  No matter how they design them, unless they expressly made it so that you could no longer get onto any buildings, someone will eventually find a way.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.