FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Grahmrook

Why a shield

So been playing a shaman since BC, though it has had breaks varying by xpac and it was not until recently (ie. today) that I began to question why a shield.  I was looking at upgrades for the weekly raid (heroic) and a couple of the Off Hands look very nice compared to my WF(N) shield.  Is there any reason to shy away from OH's, other then I *can* use a shield and our caster dps/resto druid can't?  They are on the loot table for resto/ele so they were meant to be useable by shaman. 

Final, unrelated question.  Sha in resto can drop token, trinket, neck, staff.  Ele does not have the trinket on it's table.  I have the heroic trinket (574) and chest.  Is it worth rolling as resto to try for the HWF trink and reduce my odds to 2/4 at an upgrade, or better off rolling as ele and make it 2/3 chance at an up for healing set.

Thanks!

Shield:

sometimes its nice to have a shield especially in SoO because there is a lot of physical damage. It's not huge and really only matters for prestige or if you find on progression your health pool is a little on the low side. at first in SoO with mostly 522 gear on, I felt more comfortable with a shield on fights like juggernaut where a decent amount of physical damage goes out. now, i have a warforged staff and the SP on it is way more appealing than the 10% or so reduction in physical damage.

Sha Rolls

the healing neck is more rare than any of the other drops. if you already have a heroic trink, roll ele until you get a healing neck. 

• Like 1

My opinion and I don't preach it as fact:

I prefer having a main/off hand due to being able to micro manage my stats a bit more. The staff from blackfuse is pretty awesome though, but winning it as a healer would be tough against the other casters that can use it.

I am currently using the heroic cricket cage but due to being the only person able to use a healing shield I have the two normal mode shields in my bag. 

As was said above having the shield on prog content is pretty nice since it does offer a bit of physical damage reduction in normal mode jugg it allows us to soak a mine if we need to by using a shield and a personal. (don't try it on heroic, it hurts)

So work it out with your cohealers and your guild leadership. There is no reason other than a bit of physical damage reduction to prefer shields. The item with the stats that match your strategy is the upgrade. I'm not really sure how a shield is more prestigious as stated above but if it makes you feel more of a bad ass, then by all means.

Also using Heroic Cricket Cage, but again only because the stats are good. If I had the choice I'd take the Visage HC off Malkorok. Primary reason being the damage mitigation that Kitsu mentioned. Has enabled me to soak bombs on Juggernaut before (too squishy without!). Micromanaging stats is also nice, but in the end the spellpower is the same.

I like my Dwarven Shaman with a shield it looks and feels better than a discarded power coil or a magic insect box.  just my two coppers worth.  Also as a quester and leveller i have the benefit of not having to fret about micromanaging stats.

• Like 1