Roided

How to tell when ready for raiding? Prot war

Sign in to follow this  

11 posts in this topic

I just switched to prot tank on my war about a month ago. Iv been running raid finder SOO as dps and setting loot to Prot. My ilvl is 518 as prot (no trinkets have dropped for me so those are pretty low ilvl). Iv been running heroics to practice tanking, however its joke. I barely take any dmg and im not learning much. I started tanking heroic scenarios and have been really tested. I havent died yet but keeping up health has been a problem. My friend tanks h scens all the time on his DK but he has way more self heals. Does this mean I should stick on heroic scenarios to practice more or is this not a good representation since I dont have a healer? When do you know you are ready to start tanking SOO? (our plan is to start doing 10 man flex with guildies soon)

It seems like you're really not letting yourself tank at all. H scens and heroic dungeons are not at all reflective of raid tanking. The only way you learn to raid tank is to do it. That said, running LFRs as DPS isn't teaching you anything about tanking. LFR is severely nerfed content and has very little crossover with actual raid tanking, but it will at least let you see some of the mechanics. Flexes would be better to show you what's going on. Remember, you don't have to just tank flexes with your guild, you have the opportunity to use the in-game raid browser, open raid, or on-server pugs to get your feet wet. Just make sure to read guides for the bosses and prot warrioring in general before doing so.

Well, you go get the various Ready for Raiding achievements, duh.

Jokes aside, if you've read up on how the fights work in raids (or pay attention to the tanks when you're doing LFR), LFR is really not a bad place to learn to raid-tank.  While all the dps mechanics for LFR are based on the assumption that they're all self-sabotaging morons (Spine... *cries*) the tank mechanics survive relatively intact.  Stacks fall off more quickly and such, but other than that it's the same mechanics most of the time, and the low tuning is perfect for a new tank.  Whisper the other tank for advice/stack counts/etc. and be prepared for the usual LFR toxicity, but if you go into it with the mindset that you're going to learn (and make that clear to at least the other tank, if not the raid if they comment) it's a valuable experience.

Once you're comfortable with LFR, then I'd move on to flex.  If you've got a group that's willing to show you the ropes you could start there, but between your gear and relative new-ness I think LFR would be less stressful and more productive at first.  (I can't believe I just said that.)

Good luck, and have fun!

Hey there, ive been a healer since vanilla and recently switched to tank because guild needs it more.. I didnt know anything about any fight mechanics as a tank... Like when to taunt and stuff... But best practise is always read about the fights, or even watch videos from different sites.. But my biggest advice is try tanking with old content LFRs... With ur gear, ull be more than alright... Raid lfrs like, MSV, TOES and when your getting better at it, try TOT then move on to SOO.. Thats all i did and thats what worked for me... =) hope i helped you in anyway... Happy tanking!!

O yea try go and visit these sites:

Www.Tankspot.com

Www.Icyveins.com

Or go youtube and search for

FatbossTV

Or you can just search on youtube per boss fight.. =)

Keep in mind that LFR DOES cut out tank mechanics. One in particular is the tank swap mechanic on Sha of Pride. In LFR, it is simply not there at all. In flex+, not only is it there, but it requires very quick taunts.

Thanks for all the replies. Iv been reading alot so feel pretty confident with the fights. Iv done them as dps so even though there are different tank mechanics, at least iv seen the fights and know alot of the main abilities. I had actually been thinking about doing old raids to get some practice. I will finally finish the vaor cap this week for legendary cloak chain so was thinking i would tank alot of tot for the secrets. Im excited to start raiding again, esp getting away from LFR.

Edited by Roided
  • Like 1

I concur with the others. Trying it out is the only real way to learn.
That being said I suggest throwing a whisper to your co-tank at the start of the LFR/Flex, to let them know that you're new to the roll, but have tried to prepare as best as possible. It's nice for him/her to know, and you might even get a few pro tips out of it.

Also, try not to get discouraged when you screw up and get everybody killed. It happens to all of us every once in a while and - provided you take responsibility and try to learn from the experience - it's no big deal.

Oh, and have fun out there :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By puppetface
      <Divinitÿ> Recruiting NOW! - CORE Positions - Mon/Wed 8-10PM/Server - EST time - Starting Immediately - (Casual PvP/Raid/M+) All interested welcome!! - Seeking 1 steady Healer and some exceptional DPS for Antorus
      9/9H experienced group formed out of a mythic guild, seeking members for new tier. We're a more casual group with the intention to clear normal and heroic and start farm on it in a timely manner.
      Our guild focuses on a friendly environment with friendly officers that promotes learning and improving yourself in World of Warcraft though the character you play with us, as well as offer casual pvp and an enjoyable place to spend your time.

Reqs: Discord (must be able to atleast be in the call to listen to call-outs), DBM, being gem'd and enchanted for raid time.

PM or in-game mail Puppetbrew - Area52, Rheasa -Area52, Lexinexy - Area52 for more details or a friendly chat.
    • By chizuko
      The Shadowstalkers are looking for dedicated members to join our raid team!

Recruitment is currently OPEN. We're mainly looking for ranged dps!
      But we will consider any strong applicant

We are a raiding guild with a long history on Argent Dawn, We are currently seeking new raiders to help us push our progression and aim to raise our rank as high as we can!

Current progression is 6/9 mythic Tomb of Sargeras
      9/9 heroic Tomb of Sargeras
      10/10 mythic Nighthold
      7/7 mythic Emerald Nightmare
      3/3 mythic Trial of Valor

About your trial:

-Minimum 920 average ilevel and up to date artifact traits required!

- You will remain a trialist for around two raid lockouts to allow us to get a feel for you as a player and see how you fit and preform.

- We want trialists to join the guild during their trial period to see how they fit socially as this is an important part of our guild.

About our raids:

- We raid Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday 19:50 until 23:00 server time.

- We expect raiders to maintain good attendance.

- We expect raiders to keep us informed if they can't attend a raid.

- All raiders must be willing to use voice chat and speak English.

- All our raids are logged on Warcraft Logs (https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/3311) should you wish to find more information about us.
      Please visit our Discord server at https://discord.gg/AGhh8sd for more information and to check out our current class needs . You can apply to us here as well!
      If you would like to discuss the guild further please poke Hucknell or any of the other officers Rugnus, Jacob or Eubert in-game who will be glad to chat!

Feel free to add my battletag for a chat
      Jacob#21111
    • By Narii625

VISIT OUR WEBSITE!

SERVER: Illidan
      RAID TIMES: Fridays & Sundays 10pm - 1am Server Time.
      PROGRESSION: Tomb of Sargeras [1/9M 9/9H], Nighthold [3/10M]
      LOOT STYLE: EPGP DKP Reloaded (http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/EPGP)
      CURRENTLY ACCEPTING (915+)
      ALL DPS! (Healing offspec preferable but not required) ABOUT US
      915+ ilvl to trial immediately, but we accept others. 930+ ilvl and 72 artifact lvl for Antorus.

We are looking for skilled and laid back DPS to help fill out our roster for Antorus.

We're semi-casual in terms of time we spend raiding but serious about progression, attendance and performance.

We're a close-knit guild that hangs out in Discord a lot, joking, playing alts, Mythic+, other games or just hanging out. Fun guild events happen monthly!

Overall, we're very social with guild members that actually talk to each other. (18+ required, we talk like pirates!)

New, returning and veteran players welcomed.

Fill out our Guild Application!
      Battle.net ID: LadyPluu#1299, Discord ID: LadyPluu#4473
      Guild Recruitment Officer
      Booty Pirates Website
    • By Frostjin
      <Currently Online> US - Illidan - Horde - Is recruiting raiders for all difficulties, and social/casual players of all levels!
      _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      About Us:
      <Currently Online> Founded 2014 by a core group that has been playing World of Warcraft since Vanilla. Currently Online has since evolved to far more than a guild; we are a full scale gaming community with our roots in World of Warcraft. 
      _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      What We Offer: 
      The largest and most active World of Warcraft community in the world, with over 9,000 members across 9 guilds (6 Alliance, 3 Horde), we offer a huge slate of activities to our players, both in WoW and out...
      Raiding: 
      9/9 H ToS Progression 2 Raid Teams - ranging from Casual to Mythic Progression See the teams and their needs on our website: http://currentlyonline.gg/raiding
      PvP:
      1 RBG Teams Countless members always looking for BGs and arenas! Learn more about our PvP offerings on our website: http://currentlyonline.gg/rbgs
      For Socials:
      Always active guild chat - 3 guilds linked with the add-on Greenwall. In-game activities and competitions: XMog Contests, PvP Events, Mythic+ Spams, Achievement Runs, Alt Raids, Yolo BGs, and more! Bi-Weekly In-Game Lottery! New Member Orientations! Come make some new friends! Room for advancement as an officer. Out of WoW:
      Private Gaming Servers such as Minecraft & 7DaysToDie Destiny 2 Clan Steam Group FFXIV Company Rust Clan Always active Discord w/ thousands of users Drinking Nights Monthly Giveaways _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      To Join:
      If you find yourself on Illidan Horde, simply "/who Currently Online" and ask for an invite! If you're not on one of our realms yet, let us know on our website and we'll keep your seat warm!
      http://currentlyonline.gg/join 
      Contact Us: 
      You can contact us by Btag, or email as listed below.
      Add one of the following officers to your Btag:
      Coldcrow#1329
      Joberty#7753
      OR
      Email us at:
      Coldcrow@currentlyonline.gg
      Swampage@currentlyonline.gg
      We hope to see everyone in game!

• By Neshama
      Hi, several players told me, that my warrior is not having enough HP as he should with current item level.
      Here is the link to armory
      https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/burning-legion/wienkszy

How can I push my HP higher, is there any way I can increase it ?  Trinkets, relics, items. Am I  missing something ?