FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Irriari

Holy Priest viable for challenge mode?

Hey all, 

I'm semi-new to WoW (I've played for about 5 months), but I'm quite eager to get into challenge mode dungeons whenever I'm geared enough. If it matters, I'm sitting at 552 ilvl without my legendary cloak. 

My question to all of you is this: Are holy priests viable for challenge mode dungeons? If so, are there any classes/compositions that complement them? Where should I begin to prepare myself?

Thanks!

Good news is your iLVL will not matter in Challenge Modes, all gear is scaled down to iLVL 463.  Your legendary meta gem, cloak, and tier bonuses will not proc while doing them either.  Gems, other than LMG, are fair game.  So it will benefit you to find gear that has more Sockets than higher iLVL gear w/ less or none.

Holy is a viable spec for Challenge Modes but Discipline offers more dps for groups that are a little more green.  Personally I liked healing Monk tanks no matter which spec I chose.  Ultimately, for my play style/gear/comp/etc, Discipline worked a lot better than my Holy runs fared.  Worth mentioning that there were, I havent checked in the last 3-4 months but 2 of the top 5 CM score Healing priest that bother to update their status on WowProgress were Holy.  But that is not an accurately representation of the same percentage of the top 50, where almost all are/were Discipline.

Best advice is to get someone in your group who is familiar w/ them, best case scenario would be a tank that knows them well and have multiple Golds already.  There are some Holy Priest Gold CM Healing guides/strats on Youtube if reading the forums about Healing them as Holy just dont do it for ya.

GL

• Like 2

disc is easier because bubbles make it so people have more hp and can take bigger hits. pain suppression reduces damage taken while guardian spirit amplifies healing recieved.

the power of a monk tank in challenge modes is that their guard skill increases its amount of protection as the brewmaster gets more vengeance. so the more you reduce the damage coming into the monk, the more they can cheat death and push the effectiveness of their guard. with a big guard up they can facetank massive groups and do huge amounts of damage.

put a monk tank with a disc priest and you have the easiest comp to do massive pulls and really get some time gains that allow you to be less than perfect at everything else.

golds are attainable with any tank/healer + 3dps comp. particular comps just determine the difficulty and may require unique plans that play to your strengths.

My question to all of you is this: Are holy priests viable for challenge mode dungeons? If so, are there any classes/compositions that complement them? Where should I begin to prepare myself?

All depends on who you're doing them with, the times you're going for, and the level of skill your team can bring.

I and some others have been going though a long list of characters, one of our groups members is going for Gold Meta on all 11 classes. We've done the truly horrid comps and amazing lol comps, what it comes down to most is personal skill.

Hands down worst healer to bring for golds is a resto druid, but we still got our meta even with two of our group never having done CMs before. 

You want to make your life a lot easier, go disc and lol through them. Either way, unless you have friends that are interested as well I would say you're best off finding a good BrM monk or Prot Pally do to them with, DPS is the most flexible of the comp but an ele sham and a warlock are crazy good. Don't go heavy melee, one is more then enough.

Tons of videos out for CMs by now from almost all PoVs, just YouTube it.

Get gear with as many sockets as you can, try to not use ANY Timeless item. The scaling with them is broken right now and you can get really screwed over. Remember that all 2/4pc bonuses, LMG, cloak proc are all disabled and ilvl is squashed to 464. Gems are not effected so the more you have the better. 

In DreadWaste, the rep vender for Klaxxi sells an item, Restorative Amber. I think you need honored to buy it, it's very cheap. A few silver per if I remember right. You'll need stacks of them as a healer, they restore mana and HP very, very fast. Better then any food in the game. As such you need only a very small amount of Spi so you can normally gem pure int. 

Invis pots are your friend, if you're on a small pop server these can be very pricey on the AH, don't be cheap and get the 15 second ones, make SURE you get the 18 second pots. The extra three seconds is really helpful in a few places. On Ner'Zhul I used to sell stacks of 5 pots for 800g, I made a killing. If you have or know an herb/alch they are VERY easy to farm the mats for, my girlfriend and the girlfriend of one of our groups members normally farms enough mats for a 100 pots in less then 30 min.

Proving Ground does the same thing to your gear as CMs do, I highly recommend going in there for your spec and messing around a bit. Getting use to the power of your heals when pushed that far down in ilvl helps a lot in getting ready for your first time though.

Every time you do CMs they get easier, I've done then 5 or 6 times on my warlock, once on my ele sham, and almost done on my monk. We're just about at the point where we can get all 9 golds done in under 3 hours.

Good luck!

In DreadWaste, the rep vender for Klaxxi sells an item, Restorative Amber. 

these are key. as a priest you can spectral guise at any time when you're not in a fight with a boss and use one. you can use them in bgs too, which is very nice as holy.

these are key. as a priest you can spectral guise at any time when you're not in a fight with a boss and use one. you can use them in bgs too, which is very nice as holy.

I use them on my warlock and my warrior for world pvp and for BGs. They are amazing.