FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
nefigah

SoO Tank Review Extravaganza

Vale of Eternal Sorrows Edition

An outline of the questions I'm preparing, either for the next warrior chat, or just general forum responses. Saw other posts from new tanks so maybe it'd be interesting to them too.

Immersius

• Is demo shout + SBar sufficient to survive Corrosive Blast?
  • How far do I need to stand away from the other tank so that there's no blast overlap?

Protectors

• Is Rook/Sorrow easier to tank than He?
  • Should Rook be tanked close to Sun? Seems like a lot of the time I see tanks bring him to the opposite wall from He.
  • Does Rook's hundred-hand slap require a major CD?
  • Do tanks stand under the barrier during Sun's desperate measures, or should they continue to keep the other bosses away?

Amalgam & Friends

• Is the tank test difficult? What priority do tanks have for cleansing?
  • How bad is the Amalgam's tank debuff? Amount of stacks probably depends on the individual, but in general is it a <5 kind of deal, or 5 - 10, or >10?
  • How hurty are the big adds for the offtank?
  • In LFR or a pug flex, should I be pretty proactive about soaking purple orbs?
  • It seems many tanks don't concern themselves with the direction the Amalgam is facing. Like, they'll start with him facing the raid stack point, and then after the beams start coming, it's anyone's guess which way the boss will end up facing. Is there a reason for this?

Sha of Pride

• I assume the active tank should stand directly opposite the raid stack. Where should the other tank stand?
  • Does the big add need to be picked up on LFR/Flex?
  • Are tanks eligible for imprisonment?

Looking for answers ^_^

Basically I'm a big pussy and I want to try tanking but I'm afraid I'll screw it up, so I'm trying to get as prepared as possible

Ok well i can answer some of the more general strat based ones but ill leave the warr stuff to warriors.

How far do I need to stand away from the other tank so that there's no blast overlap?

I dont think there is an official range but rule of thumb for me is use the floor "wedges" as a guide.

Protectors

• Is Rook/Sorrow easier to tank than He?
  • Should Rook be tanked close to Sun? Seems like a lot of the time I see tanks bring him to the opposite wall from He.
  • Does Rook's hundred-hand slap require a major CD?
  • Do tanks stand under the barrier during Sun's desperate measures, or should they continue to keep the other bosses away?

1 - depends on what you call easier but, Rook is face him away and dont die. He requires movement fro gouge and poison.

2 - Rook can be anywhere as long as you face him away. The closer the 3 bosses are together the more cleave your dps can do. But in LFR especially you need to watch his health and move him out to stop the baddies from killing him before HE and SUN are low enough.

3 - No but having something up helps.

4 - LFR/Flex/Normal in the bubble faced away. Heroic no.

Amalgam & Friends

• Is the tank test difficult? What priority do tanks have for cleansing?
  • How bad is the Amalgam's tank debuff? Amount of stacks probably depends on the individual, but in general is it a <5 kind of deal, or 5 - 10, or >10?
  • How hurty are the big adds for the offtank?
  • In LFR or a pug flex, should I be pretty proactive about soaking purple orbs?
  • It seems many tanks don't concern themselves with the direction the Amalgam is facing. Like, they'll start with him facing the raid stack point, and then after the beams start coming, it's anyone's guess which way the boss will end up facing. Is there a reason for this?

1 - No, interrupt 1 spell, avoid another, heal/mitigate 2 others. Tanks get cleansed at least once each to be optimal so that they can soak the orbs and the dps can remain with lower corruption for longer.

2 - Gear dependant. Generally the test order will have a tank go first, the tank should taunt when they return the just taunt swap when the debuff drops.

3 - Not hurty

4 - LFR is either a mess or not. Soak as much as you can when you are a tank.

5 - reason is people not caring. In normals/heroics you want your dps behind the boss and as little movement as possible.

Sha of Pride

• I assume the active tank should stand directly opposite the raid stack. Where should the other tank stand?
  • Does the big add need to be picked up on LFR/Flex?
  • Are tanks eligible for imprisonment?

1 - Tanks should stand as close to the prisons as possible so that when a person gets imprisoned they can break them out asap. Remember that when the prisons activate if you are stood on them you will get knocked and gain 5 pride.

The tank with threat stands on the closest prison lock so that they stay in melee range of the boss and the tank with no threat gets the furthest lock.

2 - The big add doesnt need to be tanked on any difficulty

3 - tanks will never be imprisoned

Hopes this helps.

Happy Killing :)

• Like 1

Immerseus:

-SBar alone should be enough at least until heroics. Dunno if Demo Shout works since that only reduces physical damage afaik and the blast is magical.

-For the range, one wedge as Brew said is a good safe distance.

Protectors:

-I find Rook a bit boring to tank, but I'd say he's arguably easier. He(the boss) has more things to look out for. Namely facing yourself away when he Gouges and taking him away when Noxious Poison is up.

-You should always try to tank all three together when you can. Which means basically when Noxious Poison is not active.

-Rook's slap doesnt need a big cooldown imo.

-During Sun's DM phase you can actually take your boss to one of the ranged adds and help DPSing that down to end the phase faster. According to our healers the damage it does to the tank is almost negligible even without CDs or selfheals.

Norushen:

-Tank test is fairly easy.

Sidestep when he smashes.

Interrupt the Hurl Corruption.

Have SBar for Piercing Corruption and Burst of Corruption.

-Tankswitch can be done anywhere after three stacks.

-Try to have the bosses ass towards the raid whenever you can.

-And no the adds don't hurt that much.

Sha:

-Tanks should stay close to the further prison and be ready to free anyone that gets in there.

-No, the big add doesn't need a tank pickup ever.

-Tanks never get imprisoned.

Brew already answered pretty much all these (damn him for being faster!) but repetition is the key to success so here you go! :D

• Like 1

Immerseus

• Yes, that is a good way to deal with Corrosive Blast. Both Demo Shout and SBar DO deal with magical damage. The only ability warriors have that only deals with a certain type of damage is SBlk. A good way to soak Corrosive Blast is to have some sort of CD up and a SBar.
  • Roughly one wedge. When taunting, don't turn the boss. Have a tank area instead of having two tank area and having the boss turn. That way you can have a decent margin of error. You can be safely away from the other tank and the DPS will still have plenty of room.

Protectors

• It largely depends on your strengths. Are you able to have your back turned for He every time? If that's going to be difficult for you, then He will be challenging. He generally isn't very difficult, but a few tricks makes him very easy to tank. (Dodge trinkets during noxious, WAs to remind you of Gouge, Spell Reflect the Misery add's cast, etc). Rook is not challenging to tank. A CD for every one of his fistings is a good idea. It doesn't always have to be a major CD, it depends on the state of your health, any debuffs you have, and so forth. I like to put up a CD and put a SBar up as well.
  • I don't really understand why some tanks take Rook to the wall. As long as you communicate where you're facing him, having him near Sun is a far better idea. Cleaving is nice. The one exception to this is for the Clash during Sun's Desperate Measures. Then you'll want to have him further out so his Clash pulls your raid mate out of the bubble before the kick.
  • Sort of? You should always have a CD up. Demo Shout should be fine.
  • Keep them away. Rook should be kept away for the reason discussed above. The boss He should be kept out because of his noxious poison.

Norushen

• The tank test is not difficult. Warriors are very well suit for it. Make sure to keep SBlk up and spec into Mass Spell Reflection. Spell Reflect the first Hurl Corruption, Mass Spell Reflection the seconds, and Spell Reflect the third. Reflecting instead of interrupting this cast does most of the damage for you. Other than that, just make sure to move out for the smash. Tanks should have fairly high priority. I've always gone down first and my cotank goes down as soon as I'm out.
  • Did the last application of the debuff take them sub 40% or so? Time to taunt. That's the sort of thought process you should have when assessing when you taunt. If the debuff has become onerous for your cotank, it's time to taunt. If your cotank isn't even noticing the debuff, you can let him play a bit longer.
  • The adds are minimum hurtiness. I pretty much only like to pick them up to proc Riposte. Their vengeance contribution is negligible.
  • Yes. Very yes. Extremely yes. DPS are generally scumbag jerks or they simply don't notice them. Either way, you can do your raid a whole lot of good by soaking orbs.
  • The reason is that they are lazy. Having a static boss facing is a good thing. It makes your melee have to move less and it also allows for a stack point for everyone. I like facing the boss at the door.

Sha of Pride

• If not heroic, tanks can stack on each other. If heroic, stay close but not stacked and watch your feet.
  • Doesn't need to be picked up on any difficulty.
  • Thankfully not.
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone!

Just tanked the first thing-bigger-than-5man in my life, and all of this info helped a lot (especially because the other tank was new too). It was fairly stressful, just because of the newness and not being able to communicate properly since it was LFR. I was never in any danger of dying, though once I forgot to move forward a step after turning away from He, so I guess the game didn't register I wasn't facing him, and I got incapacitated. I also accidentally interrupted a Hurl instead of reflecting it, and apparently wasn't far enough out of Smash range the first time (I didn't see a ground effect really? But it's possible I just missed it).

Sha dropped tier chest, so I now have my Prot 2pc as well :) Looking forward to trying it out!

I think I need to play with some UI stuff too. DBM didn't seem to give timers for tank-only mechanics, so I probably have it set up wrong. Also, I had the other tank as my focus, but because the frame was so full of buffs I don't care about, I went more by his health than anything. Need to try and restrict it to only show debuffs or something.

The add's smash doesn't have a ground effect until it's out. You'll see the cast bar and he'll raise him arm, but you need to be at his side or so by the time that cast ends.

DBM has a ton of timers. I turn off all timers that aren't relevant to what I'm doing. For focus frames, I only show debuffs. I don't need to know whether or not someone has Kings and having the buffs in gets crowded fast.