FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Drunkenchef

Looking for advice to tweak my damage

Afternoon fellow locks,

I am seeking help from you all to try and find the little ways I can maximize my damage output.  I feel like I perform fairly well, but there is always room for improvement.  I have plowed through all the guides for my class as well as those on how to understand logs, which i started recording last night.  Any and all advice is welcome, be is positive or a complete Zagam slam (but hopefully it isn't that rough). 

While looking at the logs, I did notice a few things I could improve on such as raising the uptime on immolate, maybe trying to squeeze a few more havocs in, and missing the last DS on galakras, which turned into a cluskerfuck.  Any other tips and tricks you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the links to my armory and log:

us.battle.net/wow/en/character/aerie-peak/Drunkenchef/advanced

www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/nk1zc6GXq4MdwxYj

Also, if I were to look at changing guilds, what would be the best way to find a quality guild that is capable of clearing current content on heroic?  I'm not looking for a top 100 guild or anything like that, but I would like to find a group that can match the type of progression I would like without blindly shotgunning applications to random guilds I find on WoWprogress.

Thanks all for your time, and the help is very much appreciated smile.png

Any and all advice is welcome, be is positive or a complete Zagam slam (but hopefully it isn't that rough). 

I'm not rough.  I just deal in the world of real.  I am coining the phrase "Zagam Slam" for future analysis when we're dealing with lump of coal instead of a diamond.

When you say you're looking for a guild capable of clearing heroic current content, surely you don't mean a 14/14H guild?  Your progress, DPS, and gear are not suited for such a jump.  It appears that you are the best player in your guild which might lead to some frustrations on you jumping guilds.  I want to keep your search realistic.  There are a number of guilds that tend to get to 10/14H with relative ease.  These guilds have high turnover and are almost always recruiting.  14/14H guilds will be looking for the best of the best.  No insult to you, but I just don't see you going from wiping on normal Malkorok to taking down Garrosh in Heroic.

Now for the Zagam Slam...

Norushen

I notice Energizing Spores was only up 52.56% of the time.  Did your Hunter let his pet die or something?  Remind him your Spell Haste is important!  Looks like unglyphed Havoc.  You used it 10 times but had a large gap in time where you didn't use it.  Not entirely consequential.  Props on using Twilight Ward!  All in the end, too, when damage ramps up.  Looks like you delayed your Dark Soul, but I'm going to assume it was because you went and got Purified first.  Time Warp timing looks goofy as hell right in the middle of the fight.  You got HELLAGOOD uptime on KTT...31% is insanely high.  13 Shadowburns is on the low side of things.  There are at least 20 small adds, 10 big adds, and a large time where you can execute the boss.  Bring SB usage up. 

Sha of Pride

RNG gods nipped you in the ass with KTT here - 10.6% uptime.  You also got 3 Havocs in which looks like the max since you only got 3 large adds. 

I'm just casually browsing your logs and you seem to know your shit.  Double potting, excellent average Chaos Bolts, even with shitty trinket RNG, and optimizing your cooldowns.  Proper use of defensives, using Healthstones, and timing your CDs.  I even see Ember Taps on Iron Juggernaut that resulted in 0 overhealing.  Sounds like your healers need to get a bit better. 

I would, if I were you, get rid of Herbalism.  Lifeblood is kinda shitty and you'd be far better off with another profession.  I don't see Synapse Springs or the Tailoring proc in your buffs, so it might be time to upgrade Herbalism to a decent profession for raiding.  Also, Siphon Life is relatively useless.  It doesn't do much for you, and it averages 40-70% overhealing.  Consider a higher utility glyph such as Curse of Elements or Soulstone.

Good work.  Zagam approved.

Galk: Shadowburns look low, you only cast it 21 times. Even with two destros in the raid I would normally expect this to be closer to 40+

Fel Flame? Why? Spec KJC and stop Fel Flaming.

Sha: Immolate uptime is low. You're at 91%, should be at least 96%+

Nour: Again, Shadowburns look low. But I see that you have another warlock in the group with you and that makes snipeing really hard, so it's understandable that the count is low. You and the other lock might want to consider dividing the room, he burns the right and you the left or some sort. 

Over all the CD line ups look really good, lifebloom with your DS and PBI, two pots on almost every fight, Doomguard, etc. Just some little tweeks like the shadowburns and havocs.

I wouldn't call your reforge Wrong but it just looks a little odd to me. You're going OUT of 1475 hit but then going back IN 1526 hit. Are you using AMR? ReforgeLite? Or just free handing it. As I said, it doesn't look Wrong, just odd. 

Also, if I were to look at changing guilds, what would be the best way to find a quality guild that is capable of clearing current content on heroic?  I'm not looking for a top 100 guild or anything like that, but I would like to find a group that can match the type of progression I would like without blindly shotgunning applications to random guilds I find on WoWprogress.

Thanks all for your time, and the help is very much appreciated smile.png

I've never used it but I know IV has a recruitment forum, you could start there. Posting on the WoW forums for guild recruitment normally is a very good place to start. Take your time, make it read like a resume for a job you care about. Personally, no matter what play level I am looking for, I always view my apps like a resume and my relationship with the guild like a contract.

I agree that I will show up for [X] hours [Y] days a week and play at a [D] skill level, in return I want to see the guild make [Z] progression and cover [V] expenses. 

Post what you're looking for, what exp you have, what you want from the tier and WoD, etc. Be honest, don't over sell things. Don't embellish. D0n7 74Lk l1Ke 4 Fr1cKN M0R0N (Don't talk like a frickn moron) and be respectful. You'll end up getting a lot of spam, but there will also be some gems in there that reply. 

Review logs, set up an interview, understand that they are looking at you as hard as you're looking at them and if they aren't then that should tell you what they are like. 

I go the extra step for people that make my short list and make a toon on their server, ask around in trade about the rep of the guild, check out the AH, etc. 

Biggest part, Take. Your. Time.

Thanks all for the advice!

Maybe the "Zagam Slam" will be the new catch phrase; it could be my great legacy (or at least provide a few amusing moments).  And of course, that comment was made in humor, if I didn't want a truthful review I wouldn't have asked at all.

As far as the type of guild I am looking for, of course 14/14H is the desire of most raiders, and maybe for now that is a pipe dream, but I have 6/14H experience pugging in with other groups.  Granted, they were established and I'm sure carried me to some extent, but I didn't unnecessarily die, held my own damage wise, and didn't cause a burden to their run, so I feel like I could handle more rigorous content than my current group can provide ( ie... the normal Malkorok wipe).  I am by no means arguing against your point, just logically stating my thoughts, and maybe bitching and venting a wee bit...  maybe a nice 10 or 11/14H guild is a good place to start looking, and maybe hail mary a few apps to some big boy guilds. You never know...

Locky, I do have to defend the few fel flames cast on galakras, those were toward the banners and healing totems, thats the only reason I cast them.  Someone else should probably cover those, but they don't sometimes, so I take it on myself wink.png And, I am using reforgelite currently, so that is what came up with the reforges.  I'll have to take a look at that when I get home.

Again, thank you guys for the time and help.

Locky, I do have to defend the few fel flames cast on galakras, those were toward the banners and healing totems, thats the only reason I cast them.  Someone else should probably cover those, but they don't sometimes, so I take it on myself wink.png

In this limited case, you're forgiven for using Fel Flame. Personally I just yell at melee till they do their job.

• Like 2

If you're currently 6/14H, do yourself a favour and don't aim higher than 11/14H.

The last 3 bosses are ones you definitely want to enjoy (or perhaps experience is a better word) the progression of.

Plus, without trying to sound rude, but you'd have to stand out pretty massively to just slot in to a 14/14H guild. The first 11 bosses are very easy compared to the last 3, and there are a LOT of 11/14+ guild this late into the tier.

Good luck, regardless.

Thanks for the input liquid, and that doesn't come across rude at all, its realistic.  If i am looking for something that is a little out of reach, i would much rather hear about it now than put in 15 different guid applications and sit there wondering whether or not they will get back to me. I've come to respect all the vetern posters in these forums and gladly welcome their opinions.

That being said, if anyone knows a decently progressed US guild looking for a lock who enjoys bathing in the blood of dead bosses.... hit me up!

Advice I can give you...

As a former GM, my biggest pet peeve was people not following the directions I put exactly. Your every answer is a gateway into what you're like as a raider, so make sure they don't say anything you don't mean to say. I had an app in August that answered the age question with "you don't ask a woman her age" and then mentioned later again that she was a girl in something else.

We gave her a trial only because her GM she was leaving said she was good, but we almost didn't just because we knew someone making that big of a deal about it on the app was likely to be one of "those girls". We were correct.

When I'm filling out an app, I try to go over and above. When they ask for a screen of my UI, I link them a video of me raiding and say something like "this will let you see how it functions even better," knowing that it will also show them that I play well. If there's anything that doesn't look good, you know it as well as they do when you're writing it. In my case, It's lack of heroic raid experience in previous tiers and number of guilds I've been in this tier (up to four at present). When it comes to raid history, I just add a note to indicate that I had come back into game way late into the tier and started my own guild which I got as far as I did. That makes the pace look not as bad (clearing normals in the last 6 weeks looks better than the entire 6 months) as well as conveys that I have experience leading a raid. When it comes to guild history, I give the quick TL;DR version first (labeled as such) with the long version at the end that actually explains the circumstances of leaving in the best way I can phrase it.