FORUMS
Starym

More New Info - Second Dev Interview from Streams

afMlKag.jpg

We have a whole lot more new info  with another dev interview, this time from Rhykker's stream, with David Kim, the second lead designer! He had a lot more time with the dev than Quin in the previous interview, so we did find out a lot of new stuff. We've also highlighted the big news from the interview in bold, with the blue highlighted ones being answers we added in later as we missed a few initially.

Check out our BlizzCon 2019 Content Hub for all the latest details!

Items:

• Mythic quality are the best items in the game
    • 4 legendary powers on each one
    • can only equip only one
  • Only attack and defense base stats with many additional affixes (no strength, dexterity etc)
  • You can get more powerful versions of the same items even in the endgame
  • Gambling with gold is back, can get the best items in the game to make gold valuable
  • Gems
    • socketed in jewelry, but only utility buffs (item/gold find etc)
  • There will be something like item or gold find, but they won't compete with other affixes that actually give you power.
  • Nothing is definitive, but the shoulder slot is gone for now - so a look/armor set can be without a shoulder piece
  • Some class skill crossover in the endgame is possible, legendaries granting another classes skills, but not too much of it
  • Treasure goblins return!
  • Runewords:
    • Only max 2 runes combined for now
    • Condition and effect runes
    • The condition can be on stun, on potion drink etc.

Skills:

• Differentiating the elemental skills - Sorc lighting is short term, Druid storm skills are more persistent, you use them then do other stuff as they are going on
  • The Arsenal system (2 1handed 2 2 handed weapons) gives the Barbarian more variety and more hooks to link to skills (when you use dual wield then a 2h mace you get a buff etc)
  • No diminishing returns on CCs - which makes unstoppable skills very important
  • Asymmetrical class design - Sorc has a larger talent tree than others with more options
  • You can reset talents probably for free, can't reset skills.

Social:

• There is level scaling in the game, so you can play with any of your friends regardless of level, but the goal is to have a felt power progression so it doesn't negate it.
    • Clan bank, more social features to come
    • Leaderboards for competing with people you know
    • The campaign experience is completely private
    • Group play vs. solo pay should be completely balanced in terms of rewards, but they're leaning towards group play if they can't get it exactly right

Misc:

• Harsh death penalty
      • Running back from last checkpoint
      • You drop a gold pile you have to reclaim
    • Maximum level is currently 40
    • Cinematic action scenes will be present in the game (similar to the one after the first dungeon in the demo, but action-focused)
    • Controller support for PC
    • The key dungeons offer a better chance of setup than Greater Rifts, as you'll know what type of enemies are in the dungeon you got your key for, as well as the affixes on the key and how the dungeon will change.
    • Hardcore mode returns
    • Specific PvP modes are being explored. Mixed PvP and Pve modes as well.
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Starym said:

Controller support for PC

That was a question I had when they announced the game was going to be developed for PC and modern consoles simultaneously.

6 minutes ago, Starym said:

There is level scaling in the game, so you can play with any of your friends regardless of level, but the goal is to have a felt power progression so it doesn't negate it.

Now this is really good news.

Edited by Valhalen

Having recently dabbled in Torchlight 2, the key dungeons sound very similar to the Mapworks, where you purchase a map that outlines buffs for you and/or the enemy. Gives a bit more control over what you're in the mood for.

I'm excited about gold gambling coming back, I wonder if there will be a viable gold hunt build someone has to look for late-game gear that way 😄

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym
        We have some new info on the big Diablo 4 quarterly update blog that's coming soon, shared by Nevalistis over on reddit. We found out that the post is still scheduled to arrive in February and that it's very close to done, with localization and other technical details to be finished. It may not be much, but any D4 news is good news at this point, particularly the "assets" comment which might mean we get a new video to go with the update (or at least new screenshots)!
        Nevalistis (source)
        Is it March yet? Last I checked still February.
        Came here to say this. ?
        It's coming. Going through the extensive process that it takes to get these things approved. The team has really poured a ton of hard work into this, and they're very passionate about even their Work In Progress stuff being polished and presentable.
        We've got assets to polish and localization to do, but it's in the works and still on track for February.
        We also recently got some clarifications on the beta signup mixup, but it's pretty unlikely we get any further news about a beta (or alpha for that matter) in the February post.

Related Diablo 4 Articles:
        Diablo 4 Beta Signup Clarifications
        Diablo 4 GamesRadar Hands On - Death Kits, Difficulty and More
        Diablo 4 Vs. 3 Vs. 2 Graphics and Art Style Comparisons
        Quarterly Updates on Diablo IV in 2020
        Updated Version of Everything We Know About Diablo 4 So Far
        System Design, Part 2 (Official)
        Lilith's Summoner Is Rathma Confirmed
        Diablo 4 Will Be "Like the First Chapter of a Book", Diablo May Not Even Show Up
        System Design in Diablo 4, Part 1 (Official)
        A Letter from the Diablo 4 Game Director
        Leaks Before the Diablo 4 Announcement: Amazon, Paladin and Release Date?
        New Gameplay Videos Without Commentary
        Diablo 4 Will Feature Cosmetic Microtransactions
        Cross-Play Is a Goal for Diablo 4, Blizzard "Very Excited" About It
        Visible Open World Players, Skill Cap at 15 and More from Venture Beat Diablo 4 Interview
        All the Item Affixes from the Diablo 4 BlizzCon Demo
        All Barbarian, Sorceress and Druid Skills and Talents
      • By Starym
        There's been some confusion today over the beta signup for Diablo 4, with community manager Nevalistis adding to the confusion with some out-dated info. It all started with a reddit post stating that the D4 beta signups are "now" open, with an immediate reply adding that they've been open since the game's reveal back at BlizzCon. Both of these were right and wrong, as there actually are no beta signups available at the moment, but in came Nevalistis to try and (incorrectly) clarify:
        Nevalistis on Beta Signups 1 (source)
        Accurate. More info about Blizzard Betas in general here.
        Though if you haven't gone and opted in for Diablo beta opportunities, I highly encourage everyone to do so. A lot of folks forget to do it at announce and opt in after Beta has started. While it's not really a first come, first serve situation, opting in after Beta started pretty much ensures you aren't getting in for the first wave (since we don't know you're interested).
        So it's a good reminder.
        Luckily reddittor BradXeno cleared things up for everyone, before the signup button on the D4 site exploded, clarifying that there are no more general opt-ins and they are now per-game, meaning the Diablo 4 one didn't actually exist yet - the one on the official D4 site is actually just for the newsletter! Nevalistis confirmed this soon after:
        Nevalistis on Beta Signups 2 (source)
        BradXeno
        Beta opt in was changed to be per game last year wasn't it? The account/franchise beta opt in page is gone and now opt ins are added to the game pages individually at some point.
        Can look over at WoW : Shadowlands for an example.
        My guess is that's why OP thought that is what this was.

Ah, you're right. The process has changed significantly since the last beta I worked on (which was Rise of the Necromancer).
        This is, indeed, to sign up for the newsletter and any additional information we might release, including when beta sign-ups go live.
        So if you read about this and immediately got your hopes up that this indicated the game was closer than we thought... sorry. The only information we have about the release date or beta date is still that it's not even Blizzard soon, with a whole lot of individual speculation going around the community (I believe the general best (optimistic) bet at the moment is 2022).
        If you're really hurting for some Diablo 4 action (as I am) you can re-read and go over everything we know about the game or one of the many gameplay videos or articles on it (which you can pick from below). Or if you really want to delve deep, head on over to r/diablo and post your suggestions for the game, as the devs are sure to see them as community feedback seems to be one of the most important things to the at the moment.

Diablo 4 GamesRadar Hands On - Death Kits, Difficulty and More
        Diablo 4 Will Be "Like the First Chapter of a Book", Diablo May Not Even Show Up
        Visible Open World Players, Skill Cap at 15 and More from Venture Beat Diablo 4 Interview
      • By Starym
        We have another hands on with Diablo 4 as GamesRadar not only tinkers with the demo, but also chats with the devs. The main focus of the article is the new engine, with the usual ground already covered about weather and day and night effects, but we do get to hear about the advanced systems of monster death animations, or "death kits", as they call them:
        Just how complex these death animations will be remains to be seen, as the above examples are pretty plain and pretty much already present in D3. Then it's on to the combat, and as we've seen from all the videos out there ourselves, it does indeed feel good, makes you feel powerful while also not being immortal and constantly in danger. The classes (Druid especially) and skills also get a mention, but there's nothing really new there. And finally, there's some bold statements about the open world:
        The article doesn't really bring that much new to bear overall, but you should probably give it a read regardless, as it's always worth reading more about Diablo 4, since we have to pass the time until it releases somehow...

• By Starym
        We have a couple of videos showcasing the differences between what we've been shown from Diablo 4 so far with previous entries in the series, and while they're perhaps not quote top notch clips considering the resolution used etc, you get the idea from them well anyway. First off we have 4 vs. 3 vs. 2:
        This next one is a little better, as it compares actual gameplay, but it uses footage from the Diablo 3 beta, presumably since D4 is in a similar state, progress-wise.

• By Stan
        Diablo IV is very early in development and the developers have no information to share at this time. At BlizzCon, Blizzard said they were aiming for quarterly updates on the state of the game, and Community Manager Nevalistis thinks we'll see another update in the middle to second third of the Q1.
        We also compiled a list of everything we know about Diablo IV so far, so check that out if you're interested to learn the latest news about the game.
        Blizzard (Source)
        At Blizzcon Blizzard announced quarterly updates starting in 2020. Well... we’re waiting!
        I mean, we're 7 days into 2020. For some, the first day back at work from holiday vacation was yesterday. I understand how excited everyone is, but let's set expectations and cover a few points (some reiterated, some that might be obvious but should be said).
        Diablo IV very, very early in development. Part of the reason we're aiming for quarterly updates is because there's not a lot right now that's ready to share. If it was ready to show, you saw it at BlizzCon. Diablo IV isn't the only project we're working on, though it might be the one you're most excited about (and it's fine if you are). As a reminder, we have patches actively being developed for Diablo III as well as the ongoing work on Diablo Immortal. For both bandwidth reasons on our end as well as avoiding flooding our (currently shared) communication channels, there's strategy needed in pacing out the distribution of information. Q1 means sometime between now and the end of March. April would mark the beginning of Q2. I don't have a time estimate for you, but my personal goal is to aim for somewhere in the middle to second third of the quarter. I'm not sure where exactly it's going to land; we've never approached communication in quite this manner before, and sometimes there's changes and schedule adjustments that need to be made. I suspect there will be many learnings for myself and the team with the first update as a result. ? We want to put a lot of time, effort, and polish into these updates because they are so few and we care a lot about our work. However, ultimately, the content will be decided by (1) what's ready to show and (2) what conversations we're ready to have with the community. For example, I wouldn't expect the first update to be about the intricacies of end-game activities. It's still too early (some areas of the game are still in concepting, while others are being actively implemented) - but we do want to make sure we're checking in with you on systems of interest as they come together, concept art, and possibly in-progress models. It's really going to vary. Actually making the game will always be the priority. Blogs take a really long time to produce, especially when they are of this caliber and content level. If video is required, even more so (as it adds an entire new team and process for review/approvals). What content we end up showing will drive the production needs, which is part of why it's so hard for me to give you an estimate on arrival. Making games is complicated. So is supporting and communicating around them. Almost none of it can be done fast if we're going to do it well. We want to make sure the information we're giving is as clear and accurate as possible and, while we want to maintain transparency, we also don't want to risk over-promising and under delivering. This happens all too often by showing features too early.
        So we are going to take our time. I understand it's hard to be patient; I literally live day to day in a building full of cool stuff I can't share and sometimes it's maddening. You can bet your hard earned gold we'll be sharing what we can as soon as possible, and it's okay to take a break from the waiting if it's eating at you. We'll just be here, hard at work. ?
        It was a joke. I don’t really expect anything new in January.
        I honestly expected this to get deleted pretty much immediately. But hey instead I got an actual reply. I see this as an absolute win!
        Quite frankly, I expected this post to happen on January 1st and expect it to continue happening up until the update actually gets made, so rather than later being accused of "ignoring everyone" and "never updating," I'd rather get that bullet out of the way and let other folks quote this when people decide they want to be obnoxious. 😉
        Only a matter of time, really.

Inside the Open World of Diablo 4 with the Devs
        All 4 BlizzCon Day 1 Major Stream VoDs