FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Veox

Resto Shaman

Seems pretty reasonable to me. As long as you're happy with your Spirit levels, and it's working for you, that's a decent build :)

Hey just got some more gear on my shaman.. and im curious if im gemmed/reforged right

thank you in advanced

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/eu/arathor/alula

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/Arathor/Alula/advanced

Crit and haste look solid, as stoove said. If you feel good about your mana regen then it's probably a solid build. I would try to use your on use trinket on cool down to help with the mana returns but remember that the temp spirit granted by the trinket will not boost your mana tide. So bottom line, if the mana is keeping you going then it's awesome. resurgence should give you back a decent return and when you get the legendary meta gem it will help even more. Let us know how it feels in future pulls.

I've been looking on alot of guides for resto shaman's

im playing one myself, but what i really dont get is the spirit everyone seems to go nuts for.

I saw Veox with 12k spirit. but i've seen shamans with 14-15k spirit..

Personally i have 8025 spirit/12k Combat Mp5 (with mana shield) and that , for me atleast.. is still too much.

My Progress with my guild is currently 3/14 Hc - we are 2 man healing (R-druid/R-sham)

Im currently reforging alot to find my best setup. - but never would i go for spirit.

The reason for this is "Resurgence" wich restore mana on crit.

or "Glyph of Telluric currents" wich causes your lightning bolt to restore mana.

so either get alot of haste - and use glyph.

or go for crit and let resurgence restore your mana.

i wanted to link my armory but that doesnt Work atm.

Character name : Tetrax

Guild name : G A I A

Server : Ravencrest

As you can see im not even using the trinket from Siegecrafter wich have a chance of gaining 23k spirit (553 ilvl).

I've been looking on alot of guides for resto shaman's

im playing one myself, but what i really dont get is the spirit everyone seems to go nuts for.

I saw Veox with 12k spirit. but i've seen shamans with 14-15k spirit..

Personally i have 8025 spirit/12k Combat Mp5 (with mana shield) and that , for me atleast.. is still too much.

My Progress with my guild is currently 3/14 Hc - we are 2 man healing (R-druid/R-sham)

Im currently reforging alot to find my best setup. - but never would i go for spirit.

The reason for this is "Resurgence" wich restore mana on crit.

or "Glyph of Telluric currents" wich causes your lightning bolt to restore mana.

so either get alot of haste - and use glyph.

or go for crit and let resurgence restore your mana.

i wanted to link my armory but that doesnt Work atm.

Character name : Tetrax

Guild name : G A I A

Server : Ravencrest

As you can see im not even using the trinket from Siegecrafter wich have a chance of gaining 23k spirit (553 ilvl).

Armory link : http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ravencrest/Tetrax/simple

It's going to heavily depend on your playstyle, your 'role', and each encounter.  Something like H-Thok, I can run 7k Spirit and never go OOM.  But when I'm healing upper tanks/melee on H-Dark Shamans (Limited targets, not stacked for melee, med to heavy movement), I'm more comfortable around 10k.  This is with a low haste, high crit build.  Others running super high Spirit may also be playing the role of mana battery w/ Mana Tide.

In the later heroics, you'll have an extremely hard time casting LB very often, simply because of the healing output required.  Even Norushen should make you nervous for the last 20%. 

Either way, the key to good play is to find where you're comfy, where your raid is comfy having you, and tweak per encounter once you start progress.

Telluric Currents hasn't been a really viable regen method since Cataclysm, I wouldn't recommend its use.

If it's regen you're looking for, learning how to game the Legendary Meta Gem proc is the best way to go; it's worth like 3k Spirit.

Telluric Currents hasn't been a really viable regen method since Cataclysm, I wouldn't recommend its use.

If it's regen you're looking for, learning how to game the Legendary Meta Gem proc is the best way to go; it's worth like 3k Spirit.

very true about the gem . im using "tellmewhen" to follow the state proc of my meta gem. to further save mana im recasting stuff like Earthshield, Healing rain or some healing surge's while i have no mana cost from the gem proc

other addons will Work aswell for this purpose , but even tho it's 4 seconds - its still very important to keep track of.

now, havnt done the later raids on hc yet but from what i can see there is always some point where you can squeze in a LB.

specially because its castable while moving

very true about the gem . im using "tellmewhen" to follow the state proc of my meta gem. to further save mana im recasting stuff like Earthshield, Healing rain or some healing surge's while i have no mana cost from the gem proc

other addons will Work aswell for this purpose , but even tho it's 4 seconds - its still very important to keep track of.

now, havnt done the later raids on hc yet but from what i can see there is always some point where you can squeze in a LB.

If you are three-healing a fight for burst rather than throughput reasons (Lei Shen was the perfect example, but Sha of Pride, Galakras, and Malkorok all have shades of it) then you can absolutely make good use of Telluric Currents.  If you are 2-healing something, unless you're overgearing it you generally can't make enough use of it to justify the glyph slot.  I'll still take it if I have no use for the other slots (no elemental damage and no dispels, for instance) just on the off chance everyone is topped off and I don't need to precast something, but usually I only use it as a 3rd healer burst-monkey.  Which, to be fair, is not a bad use of a resto shaman, especially during progression.  On Lei Shen I could even get away with doing an actual dps rotation including Lava Burst, but that's because the damage intake in that fight was by and large extremely predictable and generally low.

The thing is, though, that if you have high crit, Healing Wave is about as much of a mana-generator as Lighting Bolt is.  Possibly moreso, since unlike Telluric Currents it actually scales with stats (oh, how I miss the old Telluric Currents).  Basically, amongst your filler, do you have the free glyph slot and healing downtime to do a bit of extra damage instead of a bit of extra healing?  If so then sure, go for it.  Unless you are actually just a burst-monkey, though, the mana return doesn't let you get away with any particularly spectacular hijinks like it did back in cata.  It's more like hpallies using Crusader Strike than it is jab-jab-uplift; nice when you can get away with it, never ever count on it.

No, I'm not debating that, but the mana return is pitiful and the cast time is long. It's really not worth a whole glyph slot - I'd take the Glyph of Totemic Recall instead for the Magma Totem trick on the LMG proc (what I was talking about earlier).

(oh, how I miss the old Telluric Currents)

Riptide -> Healing Surge x2 -> Lightning Bolt x2. I had so much fun like that, with DPS trinkets and Haste stacking <3

it seems ppl think LB takes too long to cast.

i dont think it do with the right amount of  haste.

Further more once your meta gem proc's you won't be spending mana on casting lightning bolt and there for it will restore 6k pr hit instead of about 2.3k mana cause the LB itself costs mana.

timing your casts can be tricky but you should be able to atleast get 2 free lightning bolts and thereby 12K mana restored in bout 3-4 sec

it seems ppl think LB takes too long to cast.

i dont think it do with the right amount of  haste.

Further more once your meta gem proc's you won't be spending mana on casting lightning bolt and there for it will restore 6k pr hit instead of about 2.3k mana cause the LB itself costs mana.

timing your casts can be tricky but you should be able to atleast get 2 free lightning bolts and thereby 12K mana restored in bout 3-4 sec

He's actually just talking about the efficiency of it; the mana gained per time spent casting LB isn't worthwhile.  If you want to game your LMG proc, Totemic Recall is the more efficient way to do so.

Edited by Hybrys

Yet with the Magma Totem drop (recalling after the proc and using the Recall glyph) you restore over 12k mana for one GCD, leaving you to also cast Healing Stream (saving a further 14k) or possibly Healing Rain (saving 21k) on top of that. So the net gain in using Recall play on your LMG proc is simply massive.

He's actually just talking about the efficiency of it; the mana gained per time spent casting LB isn't worthwhile.  If you want to game your LMG proc, Totemic Recall is the more efficient way to do so.

Precisely :)

Yet with the Magma Totem drop (recalling after the proc and using the Recall glyph) you restore over 12k mana for one GCD, leaving you to also cast Healing Stream (saving a further 14k) or possibly Healing Rain (saving 21k) on top of that. So the net gain in using Recall play on your LMG proc is simply massive.

Precisely smile.png

That actually makes sence. ppl are mentioning a "trick" - that would just be to recall before the duration ends i guess ? and then time it so you recall after last tick.. - im doing that with H-stream.

i got alot of good idea's for more mana gain by this thread.

but im still not getting the Whole resto shaman with spirit, specially not now where i just learned i can gain even more mana with glyph of recall and magma totem.

i've heard ppl saying norushen 2 man healed with my setup should be hard.. but even tho my co-healer is lower geared (LFR/Flex trink) we still managed just fine.

so im really looking for a reason for all that spirit.

If anyone have done bosses (Hc only) where spirit is a must please let me know wich boss and why its so nessecary with spirit.

No, I'm not debating that, but the mana return is pitiful and the cast time is long. It's really not worth a whole glyph slot - I'd take the Glyph of Totemic Recall instead for the Magma Totem trick on the LMG proc (what I was talking about earlier).

Riptide -> Healing Surge x2 -> Lightning Bolt x2. I had so much fun like that, with DPS trinkets and Haste stacking <3

Spirit is a fluid stat level and is based entirely on comfort level of both yourself and your co-healers. It also is really affected by the raid team's grasp on mechanics and avoiding the avoidable. Are you calm during damage peaks? If so, you'll probably use less mana. Are you able to game LMG procs and recall totems? Again, less mana usage.

That said I can think of no fight where spirit is really needed to stack. Also, I can think of no time where TC is advantageous. Best case scenario you add a few thousand dps to a boss fight and break even on mana usage from lightning bolt. Worst case you let someone die during a burst phase because you didn't have a stop cast macro ready.

IMO, it would better to add a bit if crit, pump out some more heals, and let resurgence give you mana for doing your job. If you are that close on the enrage timers that your dps matters, keep flame shock up or have the raiders crank it up a small notch.

TLDR : spirit to comfort, then crit for throughout and resurgence and haste as you prefer. With good gameplay, spirit isn't needed in abundance for any fight I've done on HC 8/14

with a good tree, healing is pretty easy. jugg is a fun one, as is nazgrim as far as heroics go.

on jugg massive amounts of damage go out, so you get to use all your cds to their fullest potential. on naz, huge spikes go out and then nothing happens for a while, so you get to see if you can really react in time to save lives.

the first 5 bosses can be pretty easy with the right comp, dont worry things get interesting soon enough.

That actually makes sence. ppl are mentioning a "trick" - that would just be to recall before the duration ends i guess ? and then time it so you recall after last tick.. - im doing that with H-stream.

i got alot of good idea's for more mana gain by this thread.

but im still not getting the Whole resto shaman with spirit, specially not now where i just learned i can gain even more mana with glyph of recall and magma totem.

i've heard ppl saying norushen 2 man healed with my setup should be hard.. but even tho my co-healer is lower geared (LFR/Flex trink) we still managed just fine.

so im really looking for a reason for all that spirit.

If anyone have done bosses (Hc only) where spirit is a must please let me know wich boss and why its so nessecary with spirit.

Again, sometimes Shamans are super high spirit just to be mana batteries.  Esp in 25ms.  Remember that Mana Tide Totem is based off of '200% of the casters spirit'.

Also, I'm fairly sure that not many people properly game Totemic Recall, because it adds a lot of micromanagement to your playstyle.  Some find that fun, some don't.

Do remember that recalling during the LMG proc returns you zero mana. Always recall after the proc runs out!