FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
gruneholde

Blood dk flask choise for t16

So here's my "problem".I've read practically every dk guide i can find and everyone suggets using flask of the earth (your casual +1500 stam)-though i choose to go elixir of the mantid -elixir of the monk (+2250 armor +750 mastery) since blood dks can easily have ridiculous amounts of health (i'm sitting on >1.1mil health raid buffed with 552ilvl)and -well-  stamina is kinda useless after reaching a "soft" cap,which roughly translates to not dieing on trash fights tongue.pngimo).Mastery is a must have afterall and with mixology perk its a nice 10% boost approximately (10.31% to be exact).What do you think on this guys?right/wrong or is it "whatever suits your gameplay"issue?

I tend to still sport the stam flask in progression content, but I don't know it compares to the mastery+armor combo mathematically. At least the flasks don't run out on death so they're better for my coinpurse :P

In the farm bosses I tend to sport crit+dodge elixirs for the slight damage increase.

First off, if ur at 552 ilvl, u'll either have way to much mastery that whats usefull or u will have reforged some into Dodge /  parry. Since this is the case, adding more mastery is just useless on any level. Also, as a dk, u allredy have tons of armor, adding that 2,2k will give u almost nothing. Thinking that a dk got so much to midigate physical dmg (Blood Shield, armor, Dodge, parry), getting that extra stamina is very usefull since its the only stat that will help you survive magical dmg.

You forgot the 3rd option of a strength flask lol, if survivablility isnt an issue go for more damage output. Cheers.

Str flask is an option yes, but I choose the elixirs on the basis that they rise in value with Vengeance, while the AP from stregth is quickly drowned into that of Vengeance.

Thanks everyone for your answers :)

First off, if ur at 552 ilvl, u'll either have way to much mastery that whats usefull or u will have reforged some into Dodge /  parry. Since this is the case, adding more mastery is just useless on any level. Also, as a dk, u allredy have tons of armor, adding that 2,2k will give u almost nothing. Thinking that a dk got so much to midigate physical dmg (Blood Shield, armor, Dodge, parry), getting that extra stamina is very usefull since its the only stat that will help you survive magical dmg.

For some reason i fail to see as to why adding more mastery would be useless since i haven't noticed a hard diminishing value (15k mastery rating for 209% rating).Secondly ,when compared with shield wielding classes (my co-tank is paladin)we still lack around 10k armor.And lastly AMS is quite low on the cd (i'm able to use it on 2/3 Electrostatic Charges on siegecrafter .

Tbhi've even considered running str flask/crit dodge on farm nights but still haven't given it much thought

Stam flask is definitely overkill for almost any geared DK. There are only 2 situations where you'll benefit from a stam flask.

1.) You're getting hit really hard, and you would die if you had 1000k hp, but just by luck you used a stam flask so you survived because you have 1030k hp.

or 2.) The boss isn't even breaking through your blood shields, and the extra stam gives you about 2k more blood shield on every minimum death strike.

The real choice is between a strength flask, or some combination of elixirs. Strength flask gives a decent dps boost, especially during downtime when you don't have high vengeance. You'll also get something like 1.5% parry from it so there's some increased survivability. For elixirs, Mastery is pretty obvious if you're trying to min/max survival. 750 mastery is about a 3% boost for even the heaviest mastery stackers. I don't really like armor, I'm not in game to test it, but I'm willing to bet 2250 armor is probably 0.5% damage reduction. I'd probably go with a 750 dodge guardian elixir. That will give you about 1% dodge, which I'm pretty sure overall is more damage reduction than 2250 armor.

Thanks everyone for your answers smile.png

For some reason i fail to see as to why adding more mastery would be useless since i haven't noticed a hard diminishing value (15k mastery rating for 209% rating).Secondly ,when compared with shield wielding classes (my co-tank is paladin)we still lack around 10k armor.And lastly AMS is quite low on the cd (i'm able to use it on 2/3 Electrostatic Charges on siegecrafter .

Tbhi've even considered running str flask/crit dodge on farm nights but still haven't given it much thought

Well, what i meant is the fact that, with high dmg income and say 200% mastery buffed, one death strike will give u a max shield, even if u get 250% mastery buffed, it still wont give u a stronger shield since the shield u can put on urself can cap.

Well, what i meant is the fact that, with high dmg income and say 200% mastery buffed, one death strike will give u a max shield, even if u get 250% mastery buffed, it still wont give u a stronger shield since the shield u can put on urself can cap.

I just went through some logs. My average Deathstrike heal is around 125k on a few different boss fights, and my average blood shield is about 200k (I run much lower mastery than most, probably about 150% buffed). Even at 250% mastery that would be around a 325k blood shield on every death strike. I have almost 1.2mil HP, so it would take me roughly 4 death strikes before I cap blood shield, and that just isn't going to happen if you're actively tanking the boss. When you aren't tanking the boss you're going to be getting minimum death strikes at 7% of your hp, 7% * 2.5 = 15% of your HP as a blood shield, = 7 death strikes to cap when you're not actively tanking the boss.

Realistically there isn't any obtainable "cap" for mastery. you'd need to get to somewhere around 400% before your blood shields are constantly so large that you're wasting shields while actively tanking the boss.

The only exceptions would be doing old content where the boss doesn't do enough damage to break your minimum shields anyways, or situations like solo tanking Heroic Thokk in 25m, where you have 8 healers in the raid, and 3-4 of them are strictly on you, so you're taking like 500k damage per second second but the healers are keeping you up through it. then your death strike heals would be like 500k and your shield would be 1.25mil.

But if you ever find yourself in that last situation . . . use the stam flask. 

I just went through some logs. My average Deathstrike heal is around 125k on a few different boss fights, and my average blood shield is about 200k (I run much lower mastery than most, probably about 150% buffed). Even at 250% mastery that would be around a 325k blood shield on every death strike. I have almost 1.2mil HP, so it would take me roughly 4 death strikes before I cap blood shield, and that just isn't going to happen if you're actively tanking the boss. When you aren't tanking the boss you're going to be getting minimum death strikes at 7% of your hp, 7% * 2.5 = 15% of your HP as a blood shield, = 7 death strikes to cap when you're not actively tanking the boss.

Realistically there isn't any obtainable "cap" for mastery. you'd need to get to somewhere around 400% before your blood shields are constantly so large that you're wasting shields while actively tanking the boss.

The only exceptions would be doing old content where the boss doesn't do enough damage to break your minimum shields anyways, or situations like solo tanking Heroic Thokk in 25m, where you have 8 healers in the raid, and 3-4 of them are strictly on you, so you're taking like 500k damage per second second but the healers are keeping you up through it. then your death strike heals would be like 500k and your shield would be 1.25mil.

But if you ever find yourself in that last situation . . . use the stam flask. 

Well, then you probably aint doing normals or hc, cuz ur dmg intake would be much higher there

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/qvjxfq0jy7sw4axy/sum/damageTaken/?s=11656&e=12207

Heroic THok, Damage taken per second 103k

My spike damage during the fight reached 500k DTPS once, and it barely lasted for 10 seconds. If you look at the graph you'll see that even when my damage spikes it usually isn't even for a full 5 seconds to get off a maximum death strike. There are no more than 4 opportunities in that encounter where I could have gotten of a single death strike with a capped blood shield even if I was running with 250%+ mastery.

edit: I just noticed that I do however have some spikes close to 1mil dtps on Heroic Spoils. but they are also very short, however my 500k spikes last longer. Still unlikely that you'll be getting off 1mil blood shields back to back without something hitting you inbetween.