FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
wombocombo

Some random mage pve questions

hey everyone, i'm somewhat new to playing a mage and just had a few questions about some things.  i'm currently playing frost at a 551 ilvl.

armory link (need to change a couple gems around/reforge to get back to 12684 haste)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightnings-blade/Wombocombo/simple

some logs (25 normal, though it says lfr because we have people from 3 different servers due to merging)

tonight: 

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-1uea9ys5xrsxco9h/

last tuesday:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/vzd36zjfz4gu4hsq/

some questions

1. does frozen orb work the same way as dots with respect to buffs/trinkets?  if i cast frozen orb with no trinket procs and then some proc will it continue to do the same unbuffed damage?

2. are there any specific addons i can use to track the timing of my living bomb ticks?  i'm uneasy at times to snapshot because i don't want to refresh it right before it's about to tick since they do decent damage and don't tick often

3.  does living bomb still provide a better single target damage output with the legendary meta proc?  it seems like nether tempest has a lot of breakpoints and i'm wondering if the extra ticks will provide more damage and brain freeze procs considering an average amount of meta gem procs.  ex. ~70% haste nt ticking 9 times and lb 3 (or 4 with the end explosion?)

3.5.  does living bomb provide a significantly better damage output than nether tempest?

4.  i enjoy playing frost but at times the rng can be really annoying.  i was hoping to make the switch to fire soon because i like the mobility and lack of rng (...with enough crit), but i'm not sure if i'm at a high enough item level/crit to be able to do more damage than i am currently doing. at what crit/ilvl would it be worth it to make the switch? am i there/close now?

sorry to be that guy, but the help and advice is very much appreciated smile.png

Edited by wombocombo

Why would you get back to 12684?

I'll read your logs when I have more time, but answering your questions:

Frozen orb's damage dinamically changes with procs.

MageBombTracker/ForteXorcist. But if you have int proc you really don't want it to tick for that weak damage while it could get more high damage ticks with procs.

LB on single target, this has been proved by many resources. LB and NT will trigger the same ammount of BFs, since LB has a 25% BF proc chance, while NT has a 10% (these are random numbers just to let you see why they are the same in this scenario)

Yes. Why does it matter tho? It takes nothing to just swap a talent.. :)

You are saying that frost is more RNG than fire? Please don't make me laugh.. :P Frost has the most consistent damage of all specs. 40% crit for fire should be okay-ish, 45% definitely enough.

4.  i enjoy playing frost but at times the rng can be really annoying.  i was hoping to make the switch to fire soon because i like the mobility and lack of rng 

Nigga u srs

• Like 1

Why would you get back to 12684?

hey appreciate the responses.  i was just looking at the pve mage guide and saw the value 12684 for the mixture build.  i'm not sure what that value means though, other than that nether tempest gets an extra tick

4.  i enjoy playing frost but at times the rng can be really annoying.  i was hoping to make the switch to fire soon because i like the mobility and lack of rng 

Nigga u srs

lol i mean like at 45% crit youre critting so much with crit buff and critical mass . waiting on brain freeze and ice lance procs is so painful

hey appreciate the responses.  i was just looking at the pve mage guide and saw the value 12684 for the mixture build.  i'm not sure what that value means though, other than that nether tempest gets an extra tick

lol i mean like at 45% crit youre critting so much with crit buff and critical mass . waiting on brain freeze and ice lance procs is so painful

Which guide have you been looking at? Can you provide a link? :)

Frost's main DPS is not based on procs, but rather on a consistent damage of Icicles and Frostbolts. RNG has minimal factor in a life a of a frost mage. But we will find the issue why you might feel it low DPS tomorrow when I'll actually have time to have a look at combatlogs ^^

Which guide have you been looking at? Can you provide a link? smile.png

Frost's main DPS is not based on procs, but rather on a consistent damage of Icicles and Frostbolts. RNG has minimal factor in a life a of a frost mage. But we will find the issue why you might feel it low DPS tomorrow when I'll actually have time to have a look at combatlogs ^^

my bad, i've been looking at Akraens 5.4 Frost Guide mainly

(https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/3678-akraens-comprehensive-guide-to-54-frost-pve-advanced/).  

i appreciate it, i think it's fine where its at but im more curious about whether id be doing more as fire, and if maybe there's room for improvement as frost. (tried out using nether tempest on all fights yesterday just to see how it'd work out so that's one thing that may have set me back on a couple fights lol)

Edited by wombocombo

You could do more in fire, if you had excellent gear and played fire really well. That being said, Frost performs very well at all gear levels, and is far more consistent than fire is. Better burst aoe, too. Frozen Orb <3

my bad, i've been looking at Akraens 5.4 Frost Guide mainly

(https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/3678-akraens-comprehensive-guide-to-54-frost-pve-advanced/).  

i appreciate it, i think it's fine where its at but im more curious about whether id be doing more as fire, and if maybe there's room for improvement as frost. (tried out using nether tempest on all fights yesterday just to see how it'd work out so that's one thing that may have set me back on a couple fights lol)

No, my bad I misunderstood you. If you cannot reach 14242 with the mixture build, then your target haste is indeed 12684.

The only way to figure out if you would be doing more as fire is to.... go fire and try it... :)

Ugh, sorry I have completely forgotten this topic. But better be late then never, right? :)

Armory:
Ice Barrier is a DPS loss, use Temporal Shield.

I don't quite understand your gearing plot. What build are you following? Mastery? Then why do you have any haste gems? Mixture? Why aren't you at 14242 haste? High haste? why do you reforge to mastery? See my point? :)

Upgrade your weapon and trinkets!

Looking at Malkorok:

Ruuca stole your water elemental, so your dps is actually higher than shown in the log :P

You used NT instead of LB on a single target fight. This is significant DPS loss. It also had only 91% uptime, while it could easily be 100%.

Invoker's Energy uptime is decent, but could be a bit higher. :)

You had 39 BF procs, but you only used 33 of them.

You had 23 FoF procs, but you casted Ice lance 35 times, which is a huge DPS waste. Never cast IL without FoF.

Apart from these CD usage looks to be fine, although you didn't use Mirror Images for the 2nd time in the fight, but it's alright.