FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Edo

Looking for help with warrior tank damage output

I may need to switch from my bear tank to my warrior for my guilds raid group, but I am pulling way less damage on my warrior than my bear, and I believe it is due to mistakes I am making.

Profile is here:

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/a6fdaf7d-960c-44c7-9567-c0bcc9999cd4

Recent log is here:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/tmn7q4nnumr8co6f/details/0/?s=7588&e=8047

One thing I can see on the Garrosh kill there is it looks like I am doing a pretty bad job with shield block uptime.

Any suggestions for any other improrvements would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed quite a bit of mastery gear and that'll be part of the reason you're pulling less DPS. It also seems like you are prioritizing parry, which may be putting your diminishing returns out of whack. Add your dodge and parry % together, then replace one of your parry/dodge gems with a pure dodge, add the total together again. If the second total is higher, you need more dodge. Repeat that process of addition and replacement until you're no longer getting a higher total %. This will give you slightly better survivability, slightly more Revenge procs, and slightly higher Riposte uptime. You're also a bit below exp cap.

Looking at the log of the attempt you linked:

Length: 7:39

Cooldown Usage:

Shield Wall: 1

Last Stand: 0

Demo Shout: 7 (assumed)

Intervene: n/a using Safeguard

t2 talent: 1

t4 talent: 7 (assumed)

t5 talent: 2

t6 talent: 7

Demo Banner: none shown

Rallying: 2 (assumed)

Skull Banner: none shown

Recklessness: 2

Shattering Throw: 0

I'm not sure if you're not using Demo/Skull Banners or if WoL isn't showing them. If you aren't using Demo Banner, it's great for Whirlings. If you aren't using Skull Banner, you need to be timing it with your raid's CDs.

You seem to be using your DPS CDs fairly well. You could probably find a safe time to use Shattering Throw once or twice. Recklessness could probably have been used another time. I see that you only used Safeguard twice. If your riposte falls between tanking times, Safeguard your partner to proc it. You used Demo Shout fairly well, from the looks of it, but you never used Last Stand and used Shield Wall only once. Keep an eye out on those. Even if you don't feel like you'll die without them, they'll give your healers a bit of breathing room.

Active Mitigation:

SBlk Uptime: 15.6%

SBar uses: 23

SBar Avg Size: 195k

SBar Overhealing: 24.8%

That SBar uptime is the big reason that your damage is so low. Despite the DoT, the main source of damage in the fight is still melee. Additionally, the average size seems a bit low. Using the buffed amount of stam you have, your minimum 60 rage SBar is 139,462. This means the threshold at which your SBars start using Veng instead of stam is at 77479 AP. Your average SBar indicates 108333 Veng. Granted, I haven't done normal in some time, but I recall my average actively tanking Vengeance being somewhere around 250k or so.

Rage Gain and Use:

Total Gained: 3485

SBlk: 600

SBar (assuming 60 rage per use): 1380

HS/Cleave uses: 63

Ultimatum Procs: 24

Rage used on HS/Cleave (assuming all Ult procs used): 1170

Rage used on Execute: 390

Rage Used: 3540

Your rage used exceeds your rage gained, which means at least one of my assumptions was incorrect. Given the small average size of your SBars, I would guess that they were about 30 rage on average. With this assumption, you used only 2850 rage and more than half of that was on damage alone. With this 30 rage assumption in place, you wasted 18% of your rage. That's a very significant portion of your rage going to waste. Make sure you're using something if you're at 80 rage.

You are giving up your survivability in order to have a higher damage output, but you're doing it in such a way that you're actually costing yourself DPS. You used more rage on Heroic Strike than your active mitigation combined. That is hurting both your intake and your output. Heavy Repercussions makes Shield Slam hit 50% harder if and ONLY if SBlk is up. By using your rage on HS instead of SBlk, you're robbing yourself of those heavy Shield Slams. If you had been using SBlk, then your Shield Slams could have been nearly 1 million crits instead of roughly 600k crits. Your average HS crit was 122k. By putting up SBlk and Shield Slamming only once during its duration, you would have gotten an extra ~300k damage. By using HS twice instead, you got only 244k. The disparity in damage only increases if you get any S&B procs.

The other thing I noticed it Rude Interruption. It's doing nothing for you. It only procs when you Pummel, not Disrupting Shout and you're not interrupting enough to make it useful. Trade it out for Incite. It'll give you three free HSs every time you Demo Shout. I find it to be a nice compromise. I get to use my rage for SBlk for damage and survivability and I get rewarded for using my defensive CDs with a few free HSs. Another popular choice is Unending Rage, but I disagree with it. It doesn't give you anything, it merely encourages you to hoard rage (and every set of logs I've seen of people using this glyph has 30%+ rage wasted).

• Like 1

I have always liked the warrior, was my main through ICC and Cata, but swapped to bear at the start of MoP because the only other tank we had in guild was a warrior.  I kept the warrior's gear fairly current, but never really payed that much attention to him.  It is similar to the bear, just more proactive rather than reactive.  Plus it doesn't have the insane rage generation of the bear.  Having a hard time remembering that heroic strike is NOT maul, and that I can't just spam it when I'm bored because I won't pick up the rage like the bear does.

Thanks again for the tips, that was way more information than I expected and very useful.

. Granted, I haven't done normal in some time, but I recall my average actively tanking Vengeance being somewhere around 250k or so.

Does vengeance scale differently for 10m, or do 25m tanks just straight up do more DPS?

Another popular choice is Unending Rage, but I disagree with it. It doesn't give you anything, it merely encourages you to hoard rage (and every set of logs I've seen of people using this glyph has 30%+ rage wasted).

Doh, here I was thinking that was a good glyph. I need to be more inciteful I guess

25m hits massively harder than 10m. They're orders of maginitude different. The hardest-hitting 10m H bosses don't hit as hard as some 25m trash. I enjoy 25m more because of that.