FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Krushinator

Best/Worst Rogue Experiences

Hey guys, I wanted to make a thread that wasn't so serious business, so I came up with this idea. In this thread, post your best experience as a rogue, and your worst experience as a rogue.

I'll go first.

My best rogue experience was probably my guild's first Heroic Spine of Deathwing kill. We had been stuck on it for a while, as most guilds were, and we were finally putting up the tendon damage numbers we needed to theoretically finish the fight. We only had 2 mages, so the subtlety rogues were very important in getting the burst damage necessary to secure the kill. I had an entire spec, talent tree, glyph set and macro set all for a 30 second DPS burst on that fight. On our first kill I was number 1 on tendon damage, beating the next rogue by over half a million total damage.

Easily my worst rogue experience wasn't a specific event, but it was trying to find a PuG for Icecrown Citadel at the beginning of Tier 10. If you were a rogue main at the time you might have experienced the same frustration I did. At that point in gear, it was best for a rogue to have the Tier 8 4-pc bonus and the trinket Grim Toll (from Tier 7). While I could put up great numbers with this combination, it made it so my average item level was quite a bit lower than other classes who had regular Tier 9 gear sets. What made this such a bad thing was there was an addon called Gearscore that was all the rage at the time. PuG leaders would only accept players above a certain gearscore for ICC runs. My gearscore was lower than their arbitrary number, and no matter how much I argued about the gear situation for rogues, no one would listen. I barely got any PuG groups that tier, I had to wait for gear in my guild runs while everyone else in the guild got to PuG on the side.

Your turn!

Nice thread :D

My worst experience as a rogue was in lower levels. When I started playing rogue, which btw was the first I ever played, I was SUCH A NOOB. And WoW was the first game that was anything lile this type of game that I played. Previously I had only played Mario xD. One example of my noobiness: once I ran a random dungeon. Underbog, or one in the same area of dungeons, if I remember right. Somehow I had got the idea that Gouge was an overpowered ability that dealt so much damage. Probably I had read on another ability and mixed it up for being gouge. So at the time this was what I spammed. Then suddenly a new thing was introduced to me. Or two actually. Add-ons, and damage counters. This tank in the group started asking why my dps were so low? He accused me of just staying in the back and looking while the others fought. That hurts alot: when you try as hard as you can but someone critize you really harsh. I almost stopped playing because of that. Thankfully there was another nice rogue in the group that contacted me and helped me out alot with the basics of a rogue. Like using agility instead of intellect ...

Another example: This was level 1-10. I didn't quite understand the concept of this whole ability-idea. So I saw this Awesome ability on my bar. when i created the character it wasthere from the beginning. It had two swords crossed on the picture, and i basically spammed this ability in whatever combat I entered. Later I found out that this ability was named Auto-Attack. I also found out that this ability was automatically switched on when you entered combat, but I didn't even realize it was something you could switch on and off. My gametime from leveling 1-10, with my first toon, the same rogue that is my main today, was 10 days of in-game time. My game time from 10-80 was also 10 days of in-game time.

But this time in my WoW experience was also my best. WoW was a whole new type of game, I hadn't played anything like it before. Every new aspect that came into the game was so great. Everything was amazing. And around level 8 with my Rogue, my friend told me that Teldrasil wasn't the only place in WoW which you could be at. And I thought: WHAAAATT!!!!!! THERE IS MOOOOOORREEE? Ooommmgggg!

The world seemed enourmos. Even though any WoW player above level 50, included myself, would have called me a noob and wouldn't understand how I could enjoy the game when things were going so bad, I really did. I had a special feeling in my body, in my heart maybe, that first time of playing WoW. This maybe seems a little bit overdramatic, but it's all true. Nowadays I don't get that feeling anymore. If I think back really hard I may, on a good day, get a little glimpse of that lost feeling again. But things will never be the same again. :'(

Edited by Heradsinn
  • Like 1

Let's see 

Best:

back in the old BWD when it was a proper raid my rogue was the last man standing and the end boss went after him

so popped evasion and managed to bring the last remaining hp of the boss to the joy of the raid.

Worst:

even though it was one of the highest dps back in karazan was benched because the raid leader didnt want melee classes

on the boss. 

My best rogue experience (and I know this is going to sound dumb, but I've only played rogue about two months), was when I discovered just how amazing CoS really is. I was pulling my hair out trying to avoid jugg pushbacks, shaman everything, etc...until I discovered that CoS lets me walk through the chaos like a Sunday stroll. When we take on the trash before Sha, I'm always the last one standing thanks to CoS knocking out the debuffs - I even tell my healers not to dispell me. "Why?" they say. "Don't worry, I'll take care of it," is my reply. Love that spell.

My worst rogue experience by far was on heroic Immerseus. It was my first ever heroic boss, so I was excited. We died on the first pull (I was on back plat for backstab) and was out of healer range. Despite that, my Leeching poison and Recuperate were enough to keep me up, and I was one of the last few to die. Our RL yelled at me to stay in range of the healers, even after I explained this would mean all I could do was Hemo. We try again, my DPS drops almost 25k because I can't backstab anymore. We wipe a second time, and I get kicked for having low dps. /sigh.

Thinking back, my best experience as a rogue was definitely suppression room.  

My worst experience as a rogue was definitely suppression room.  :3

My rogue has been my main since 4.2 (when I started playing...!) So I don't have any epic tales from vanilla and BC but...

My best moment was when I first got a taste of real raiding. I had joined a guild! Started my legendary quest chain! Then realized how aweful raiding was (for an inexperienced group, anyhow). After 2 weeks we continue dying to Warlord Zon'ozz with a percent or 2 of health remaining when it dawned on me, EVASION! The next attempt, we pushed the boss to just over 1% health and people started to die. If I remember correctly, I saved myself with Cloak of Shadows, as our raid lead cried out "Nobody walk in! Rogues got Mass Rez.". I popped evasion and killed the last percent by myself. Got a fair few /pats for that one.

My worst moment as a rogue? Probably when I started and knew nothing about anything and had no help. Rogues at the time seemed very unfreindly to solo players (which being new, was all I did at the time). I almost rerolled it was so bad. Died continuously. However it all worked out in the end, been enjoying my rogues ever since.

Edited by Defiantsoul

Thinking back, my best experience as a rogue was definitely suppression room.  

My worst experience as a rogue was definitely suppression room.  :3

Best: 200k+ Killing Spree opening on Immersius.

Worst: pulling agro during Killing Spree and dying. Oh, and that first time you SS Ultraxion and fall to your death...

Edited by Belicosa

Eh, hard to say... Had so many good experiences, exploding people in PvP when I had no idea how this worked; exploding people in PvP when I had idea how this worked, when I jumped off teh charts while raiding (I felt useless when I had no gear, I wanted to help but in teh end I'd be carried over by my friends - hate feeling like a burden) I was screaming like a little girl on rage, lol...

As for bad experiences, some. When I gave up on my Rogue because it became frustrating (I was a newb/noob back then, had no idea of rotations and priorities) to PvP with him, seemed I could never win a BG (although wasn't entirely my fault, depended on other people to do so) and never move out from teh spot I was. Gladly I had friends who supported me and kicked my butt to keep going on, else I'd be just another Hunter around, herpin' allday erryday, woops Feint Dead.

As of now I'm in a pretty good state game-related (equipment and stats, etc), but passing through medical hardships due to teh spammy nature of Combat spec (still is awesomely fun to see that shitload of yellow at your screen and think "zomg where am I? doesn't matter had DEEPS!!"), but my hands can't bare much pressure over them anymore (I spend like 14 hours in front of a PC, ~ most of time working, so...)

That's it, I guess? Thanks!

Edited by lipsinch

Best Rogue Experience: The entire BC expansion. Geared up through heroics, was the top dps in my casual guild by far. Got into a fairly serious guild with some friends to start raiding and ran Kara for a few weeks, then started doing Gruul and Mag. Most of these guys had been hardcore raiders since Vanilla, and they had like a 1 month jump on gear over me, but I was still keeping up with them. Stayed with that guild through SSC and TK, and was always one of the top dps, and the raids were so much fun back then.

Somewhere around the release of Hyjal the majority of my guild server transfered, and I mostly pvp'd for a while but that was a ton of fun back then too. admittedly pvp was terribly unbalanced, but at the time PVE geared rogues were one of the most unbalanced classes, so it was fun for me wink.png

Worst Rogue Experience: I main switched to a priest at the end of BC and the only other time I ever seriously played my rogue was on some ICC alt runs at the end of wrath. I miss playing a rogue, it was my first class, and still one of my favorite classes. DK tanking is my new favorite thing to do, and I haven't worked on a rogue again because melee classes tend to be somewhat de-valued, and my DK is already an offspec melee dps.