FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Mencia

Need help heroic Siege crafter 25 man

Our guild is currently working on Siege heroic and we are using the mid winter strat. I am currently running a mage.  The Question I have is ,  How does the mechanic determine who gets the saw blades and laser fire trail.

Doing this as a mage and normally running Arcane spec makes for a pain in the ass to get high damage and dps on the Bombs. My guild currently has me switching to frost for this fight for the adds.  What I am thinking though is IF I can stand with  melee it would let me do more damage with arcane explosion BUT if I can still get targeted by the lasers that could cause a horrible problem, the blades I can blink out for but the fire is another story.

For the life of me I can not find out how the targeting mechanic works for those abilities  So if anyone knows for sure or has any better ideas on how I can get more add damage would be extremely helpful. .

Thank you for your time

Mencia of Zuluhed

I can't give you a 100% accurate answer, especially since we just started working on this fight, but I can tell you that it's quite likely one of two things.

First, it could be targeting based on spec. Generally, this means that any ranged/healer will be a valid target.

Seecond, it could be targeting based on proximity to the boss with a minimum requirement for the amount of people at ranged.

If you've ever seen a melee get targeted by the sawblade, that means that it cannot be the first option. Personally, I've never seen this, but there is a warrior in our raid that claims to have been targeted while running to/from the belt. That, of course, could've simply been a ranged that got targeted, but I didn't see it so I cannot comment.

If it's not the first one, it's probably the second one. In that case, you can simply have X amount of players standing at range (3 or 8, typically, depending on the raid size), allowing everyone else to stack in melee.

Now, that said, that only applies to the sawblade. The laser is not, as far as I'm aware, attached to the boss in any way. In that case, its targeting should not be based on proximity but, rather, role. Odds are that lasers will always have a chance of targeting you, no matter where you are.

If I have a chance, I'll comb through the logs to see if I can confirm a melee getting targeted by saw blade.

Edited by Belloc

The only help I can offer is that as a healer ... and out of position for some random excuse that I come up with on the fly..  I still got targeted by Laser while in melee.

Lets go w/.. keeping the other tank in range, yea; that sounds good.  That's why I ended up in melee.

I just checked logs for our 4 last Siegecrafter kills and didn't see a single melee ever get targeted by Launch Sawblade. This is a pretty small sample size (doubly so, since we kill him in about 2 minutes and 30 seconds), but I think it's enough to say that Launch Sawblade targets players based on their spec and not proximity. In other words, unless you're on the belt, you are an eligible target for it.

Add in what Gwenymph said about lasers and I think it's safe to say that both abilities target based on spec. As a mage, you will always be a potential target.

Add in what Gwenymph said about lasers and I think it's safe to say that both abilities target based on spec. As a mage, you will always be a potential target.

This is correct.  It's based on spec, and every single ranged damage dealer or healer (except for Mistweaver) has a chance to get chosen.

As a mage, you can hit Greater Invisibility as you get chosen for a Saw Blade (During his cast bar, which is 2 sec I think), and it simply won't be cast.  Do NOT attempt this for the laser, however, as it will instantly refixate and can easily gib someone that way.

As a mage, you can hit Greater Invisibility as you get chosen for a Saw Blade (During his cast bar, which is 2 sec I think), and it simply won't be cast.  Do NOT attempt this for the laser, however, as it will instantly refixate and can easily gib someone that way.

This is also true if you have priest in your raid.  They can use their Spectral Guise Talent to avoid Saw Blades and again on Paragons for AIM and Mesmerize

Edited by Gwenymph

Thank you all very much for the help and Info

btw doing this boss as a mage frigin sucks extremely bad !!

Between this and Thok on heroic you can tell blizzard hates casters smile.png  

Edited by Mencia

Thank you all very much for the help and Info

btw doing this boss as a mage frigin sucks extremely bad !!

Between this and Thok on heroic you can tell blizzard hates casters smile.png  

I think it's super fun as frost.  You can even shatter combo the mines for big bonus damage.

Editted because I derped.

Edited by Hybrys

well first bliz hate every one. not just caster there are fight that he hate mdps. first it random. but look at it this way arcane is a non move me spect frost is movement and i think fire is a balance of the 2