FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Ghanjo

Glyph of Icy Veins in Challenge Modes?

Hey, quick question. When doing CMs as Frost, is it worth it to use Glyph of Icy Veins, or is it better to not use it? I guess that since you are nowhere near the haste cap in CMs, the extra haste from unglyphed Icy Veinswill be more beneficial. But I have heard from a Shaman in my guild that pro CM-runners use the glyph. Which is true? Which is better?

Edited by Ghanjo

Hey, quick question. When doing CMs as Frost, is it worth it to use Glyph of Icy Veins, or is it better to not use it? I guess that since you are nowhere near the haste cap in CMs, the extra haste from unglyphed Icy Veinswill be more beneficial. But I have heard from a Shaman in my guild that pro CM-runners use the glyph. Which is true? Which is better?

I would not use it.

In my opinion, there are more beneficial glyphs for CMs. I personally run CoC, Splitting Ice and Water Elemental (to ensure that it's always in range for shatter combo, and it doesn't go for a summer trip into the next pack of mobs...biggrin.png)

Did your shaman friend link any references for his statement about "pro-CM runners"?

It doesn't matter.

CM's are about not screwing up pulls, dying, etc. When I do them I top damage considerably just by putting on Light of the Cosmos and Black Blood of Y'shaarj and using Nether Tempest.

When my group is running a mage, and we're really close on times, I'll get them to glyph it for trash and remove it for bosses.  It's the sort of minmaxing thing that you can do, but shouldn't be necessary to get golds.

Remember that if you're in a 'pro' group, the majority of the time is spent on Trash, and it is what will make or break good times, not your boss DPS.

I would not use it.

In my opinion, there are more beneficial glyphs for CMs. I personally run CoC, Splitting Ice and Water Elemental (to ensure that it's always in range for shatter combo, and it doesn't go for a summer trip into the next pack of mobs...biggrin.png)

Thanks, thats what I use too.

Did your shaman friend link any references for his statement about "pro-CM runners"?

Nah, it was just random after-raid chat, and he ended up saying something like "But I don't know, I just heal stuff". Still, just wanted to check.

It doesn't matter.

CM's are about not screwing up pulls, dying, etc. 

But if you do them well, and want to maximize your dps, is it better to use the glyph or not?

When I do them I top damage considerably just by putting on Light of the Cosmos and Black Blood of Y'shaarj and using Nether Tempest.

Hm, interesting idea, I might try that.

When my group is running a mage, and we're really close on times, I'll get them to glyph it for trash and remove it for bosses.  It's the sort of minmaxing thing that you can do, but shouldn't be necessary to get golds.

Remember that if you're in a 'pro' group, the majority of the time is spent on Trash, and it is what will make or break good times, not your boss DPS.

You use Glyph of Icy Veins on trash? I would think Splitting Ice, CoC and Water Elemental would be better. Also, how much time do you spend waiting for glyph changing?

Now that we are talking about CMs, I wanted to ask if there is any specific haste point that you try to reach with that scaled down gear? Or just try and get whatever we can out of gear with sockets that have haste and mastery on them. Most of my gear has haste and mastery or hit and haste. 

Also, I am waiting for the answers for Gambol's questions here. Thank you for making this post! smile.png (And I hope you don't mind the hijacking!)

You use Glyph of Icy Veins on trash? I would think Splitting Ice, CoC and Water Elemental would be better. Also, how much time do you spend waiting for glyph changing?

Because with IV glyph your Ice Lane damage is increased by 20% and you are just spamming your FoF charges away (with Frozen Orb).

I'd say maximum 7 seconds for a glyph change if there aren't any ui bugs.... Open window, click, click, frost armor, evocation, ready. I'm not sure tho honestly if it is worth it...

Now that we are talking about CMs, I wanted to ask if there is any specific haste point that you try to reach with that scaled down gear? Or just try and get whatever we can out of gear with sockets that have haste and mastery on them. Most of my gear has haste and mastery or hit and haste. 

Also, I am waiting for the answers for Gambol's questions here. Thank you for making this post! smile.png (And I hope you don't mind the hijacking!)

Haste, haste, haste, haste. As much as you can. it's just superior to the others on low item levels.

Have gear items with extra sockets, (like a ToT staff with the Eye of the Prince applied), change your helm with a normal metagem.

It doesn't matter.

CM's are about not screwing up pulls, dying, etc. When I do them I top damage considerably just by putting on Light of the Cosmos and Black Blood of Y'shaarj and using Nether Tempest.

I'd still go for Frost Bomb. The majority of the pulls are all about aoe. You cannot guarantee that you trinkets will be up on every single pull and it's also not realistic, thus making Frost Bomb superior.

Splitting Ice, CoC, and IV would be a better choice.  Water Ele can be controlled at your own skill level, and unless you're AoEing while the tank is actively kiting a long distance, it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

Because with IV glyph your Ice Lane damage is increased by 20% and you are just spamming your FoF charges away (with Frozen Orb).

I'd say maximum 7 seconds for a glyph change if there aren't any ui bugs.... Open window, click, click, frost armor, evocation, ready. I'm not sure tho honestly if it is worth it...

I'd still go for Frost Bomb. The majority of the pulls are all about aoe. You cannot guarantee that you trinkets will be up on every single pull and it's also not realistic, thus making Frost Bomb superior.

You can get a macro to change the glyph, if you really wanted to be speedy.  + 2.3 Frost Armor and 2.3 Evocation, you're looking at under 5 seconds.  You can even macro Ice Floes into Frost Armor to cast it in transit.  You'd swap out the glyph earlier if it's CD won't be up in time for the trash before it, or not at all if it's more worthwhile to use it on the trash than on the boss.  (IE: Jade Serpent, I'd use it on the Haunting Shas before Liu Flameheart rather than on the boss itself.)

It's all a lot more complicated than it's value in my opinion.  But if you're really close on timers, it's something you can work into it.

For Frost Bomb vs Nether Tempest, it's going to depend on the comfortability of your group and the instance.  Some groups like to pull smaller, slower, and smoother, where are others like to grab everything they can at once.  Scarlet Monastery also doesn't have any pulls (beyond the first boss, as long as you're not doing Range Cap strats) that have more than 5 mobs , with the majority having 4, so I run Tempest in there.

Edited by Hybrys

I've used frost bomb but I found with the group I ran it was more of a slow, steady, always pulling rhythm and while there were a lot of mobs, they often would bob and weave out of range and I'd get a little irritated.

Nether Tempest was also easier to keep on everything while moving, which sped things up considerably.

Not saying it's best, just saying it was best for me, in my group, with the 2 trinkets I said. :P

• Like 1