FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Amaterasu

Immerseus 10HC

Hey there, that's my first post! Last night I made my first attempt on hc immerseus, we had some problem dealing with swelling corruption here is what appened.

I dont have logs btw I'm trying to be as clear as possible.

Raid: 2 tanks 2 Healers 6 dps

We tried to stack debuff 3/4 for each dps and tanks so first wave of adds should have been of 24. Adds killed and back on boss that at this point had 50/60% hp.

Second wave of adds same thing but when all adds were killed boss had 30% hp and so casted Swelling Corruption on himself again. 

As I read on Icy Veins Immerseus guide this should never happen due to the long time cd it has. So was it a DPS problem?

Thanks for answer! Good game!

If you go slow and steady instead of living on the edge, it happens.  My group runs into the same thing when our monk healer can't make it (and thus no massively OP mass-dispel).  If possible, try and cleave the adds on the boss, so you get some extra dps on him.  Burning the boss and hoping the adds tend to themselves isn't going to work with 2 healers, but burning the adds might.

If you can't handle a constant stream of adds from dps whacking the boss the moment their stacks drop, just deal with the second swelling corruption.  It's not a wipe, but it will make the transition a lot messier.  On the other hand, you are going to have problems later on if 2-healing it unless your healers are really amazing, so you might want to try 3-healing and just burning him out without waiting for all the adds to die first.  Our way goes "get to 3-4 stacks" "AoE adds until dispelled or stacks drop" "repeat".

Then again my group got so fed up with this boss we're pondering saving a lockout so we don't even have to do him on normal, we hate him that much.  Our progress through the fight seems entirely related to where Swirl decides to go, and this has to be one of the least fun bosses I've ever done (I had more fun on Garalon, and that was awful; at least there it felt like our fault when we wiped, instead of "elemental's mastery decides you get eight stacks and die instantly today").  Best of luck, hopefully someone with more experience can give you some better tips!

Whats your positioning strategy? How do you gather up the adds?

Our guild has always done this with 3 healers due to the increasing amount of friendly blobs in transitions towards the end, and even then I don't think we've ran into the mentioned issue even when progressing.

Edited by Ceraius

Image made on paint (lol) of our positioning. We move clockwise. I'm the healer (holy pala) in the middle I use rig fury to group adds, the dps in the middle use md on tank.el3zhx.jpg

Edit: MD is for the adds that runs away, not for those i take

Edited by Amaterasu

Some tips:

1. 3-healing the encounter makes it much easier. It enables your raid to split a bit more. It enables you to dispel faster.

2. Use healing cooldowns during the first phase.

3. Your healers should use cleave trinkets instead of spirit trinkets. The fight is very easy on mana (they will get to full mana during every split phase).

As for tactics, in the end we found it easier to get all the adds out immediately. The more adds you have, the more aoe you can do on them. Note the timing - you get a swirl immediately after you get the adds, so everybody should be stacked by the wall with the adds and it should be fast to aoe them.

Healing cooldowns and dispels should be used there. Use misdirects and other threat helping abilities to help the offtank taunt the adds.

Note the first two phases are the hardest. In our first kills we usually lost a healer or dps there and we actually ended the fight after berserk timer. If you can survive the first two phases, the fight gets much easier.

If you have access to a priest with mass dispel that makes it so much easier. What we did with a 3 healing setup(I really advise this) was to simply burn all the stacks in one go, and then AoE all the adds down. The boss dies a long time before he gets to recast the Corruption. As long as you bloodlust on pull that phase shouldn't be an issue.

I should say that we generally have him on 30% when the stacks are gone and the adds are down, so it might be a DPS issue as well if you only get him down that much with 6 DPS. We can't really tell without logs or extra information.

For my group in 10 man the 2nd phase 1 was the most painful because we had no major DPS cooldowns or bloodlust, The people who are coming from the other side of the room can be in danger there as well, so make sure they get healed asap after the transition.

Here's what we do, and even were doing in our not way-over-geared alt run:

First, we three heal. This REALLY makes the fight go faster toward the end.

Second, we don't dispel and keep burning the boss through his stacks. We get three stacks then kill adds while we wait for stacks to fall off, then go through the rest of the boss's health. Our dispels are only for someone accidentally getting too many stacks.

Our DPS all know their openers really well, so the boss absolutely melts. It's important. If your DPS are opening the fight at 450k-600k, it's time for them to go do some research.

We don't stand in a line, ever. We just spread out in that wide platform in the back. You shouldn't run out of room, or even come close. If you're running out of room, it's again time for your DPS to go do some research.

When he splits, we have people assigned where to go, and then they adjust accordingly if they see they aren't going to have any adds on their platform but their neighbor has a ton. On the wide platform we have one healer and two DPS. As you're facing the boss, our tanks are on the platform to the right and handle the adds there, then we have a healer the next platform to the right, and another DPS the whole way around to the right. The left platform has a DPS, then another DPS, and our third healer all the way around to the left.

In keeping the second phase as short as possible, it is incredibly important to kill and heal every single add or as close as you can possibly get in the first split phase. More adds handled means less health in the next phase. When you get to the second boss phase, your DPS should be using their second potion (with cooldowns if they'll have any coming up). If your healers can do anything to contribute (Heart of the Wild with Wrath spam, making sure to Smite low-HP adds for constant Twisting Nether, etc.) it helps out. 

Once you get past the first two, the rest will fall into place.

Our tacs are more or less what posted above aside from positioning.

We go up to 3-5 stacks and then DPS adds until the stacks fall and then get back on boss. This cycle basically repeats throughout every P1.

We also have people watching the boss when Swirl is coming to call either Safe or Back depending on where the boss is facing as he starts it. In case it starts right on the raid its good to have Devo available. Its a lifesaver there. In all other cases there's not much trouble.

For our positioning, we have a melee stack close to boss and a ranged stack about 5yds behind and the groups move in unison as the pools appear under their feet. The active tank is about 40 degrees to the left of the groups. (This positioning is mostly due to not having any paladins when progressing.)

The add tank gathers the adds in between the groups where his AoE abilities reach over each group for easier pickup.

For phase 2, we have raidmarkers at regular intervals around the room and we assign people to colors.

If you don'y have any paladins, BM monks are very strong addd tanks in any situation, especially for picking up adds from ranged that continuously spawn all over the area.

If you're getting two Swelling Corruptions in one phase, then you need to stop prioritizing DPS on the adds. There's no need to kill them until the split phase.

Personally, I'd pick one or two really strong AOE DPS (a destro warlock, if you have one), and let them handle the adds by themselves while the rest of the raid stays on the boss. Of course, they'll either need to let their stacks drop or get dispelled, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Long story short: Yes, it sounds like it's a DPS problem. It's a mix of an inappropriate amount of dps on the adds and possibly subpar DPS from your players. Assigning add DPS to one or two players will fix the first part of the problem and learning how to play their class will fix the second part.

If you don'y have any paladins, BM monks are very strong addd tanks in any situation, especially for picking up adds from ranged that continuously spawn all over the area.

Honestly, any tank should be able to handle the adds without issue. I've done it as a paladin and I've been in groups with warriors and DKs picking them up. The only tank I haven't seen do it is a druid and I'm sure they're capable, as well.

Hell, if you bring a holy paladin, Righteous Fury will group the adds up for you. If you don't have a holy paladin, having your healers positioned close to each other will mostly do the same.

We do it a bit more of an unorthodox way I guess, we three heal as well (rsham [me], hpal, and rdruid), but we have our holy pal use righteous fury to gather adds, I use earth shield on him and during the debuff stage our fury war ignores his stacks and I dispel him on CD. The other dps aoe adds while dropping stacks.  After the first swirl, then we Time Warp and burn him down. 

Getting two Swelling Corruption is completely your DPS not playing well thing. In the 10 seconds before the adds come out you should see a SIGNIFICANT chunk of his health missing.  If you get to 3 stacks and pew pew the adds until they fall off, when you're clear you just get back on the boss and let the adds just do what they do until the split.

Have all of your DPS go and do more research on their openers and rotations. The couple seconds of ignoring the adds tht you gain on the boss isn't going to fix your problem if your DPS doesn't actually know how to DPS.

Your tank shouldn't matter, but Paladins and Monks are significantly better suited for it. The other tanks just don't have the same toolkit for picking up adds continuously spawning in a spread out manner. The other three classes get AoE abilitieso n short cooldowns that they ahve to be in melee range. Warriors get a banner every 3 minutes. DK's get D&D every 30 seconds. Yes, they can do it, but they're not optimal if you have the others or no holy paladin to help gather them on top of the tank.

Your tank shouldn't matter, but Paladins and Monks are significantly better suited for it. The other tanks just don't have the same toolkit for picking up adds continuously spawning in a spread out manner. The other three classes get AoE abilitieso n short cooldowns that they ahve to be in melee range. Warriors get a banner every 3 minutes. DK's get D&D every 30 seconds. Yes, they can do it, but they're not optimal if you have the others or no holy paladin to help gather them on top of the tank.

We have only DK and Warr tanks and we're doing it very easy :P

Granted we did need the stacked up positioning for it to go well.

You haven't given us logs and nobody has asked it though it might be a bit obvious, you do use bloodlust at the pull, right? You should be able to shave 25% corruption off during the first split phase, and from that point on it becomes a lot easier to handle. 

This thread has kind of already descended into a general Immerseus discussion; if you try again during your next raid and it still doesn't work out, then please come back with some combat logs, that is the only way we can truly help you.

Thanks to all guys! I got some usefull tips from this discussion. For this week we skipped Immerseus and managed to kill Norushen. Next reset we will focus on Immerseus and I'll let you know how it goes.

I should ask to dps what they do on pull, yes we use bl but probably they fear debuff and don't push so much.

I'll keep reading the post for more info and sharing more about my raid comp.

- Tanks:

DK 

Warr

- Healers:

2 Holy Pala

- Ranged DPS

2 Locks

1 Hunter

1 Mage

- Melee DPS

1 Warr 

1 Dk (alter rogue)

Also we have a resto sham gearing up.

I know this composition made most fight a pain in the ass, but we are on recruit atm.

I'd recommend switching into 3 healers. The increased output also allows DPS to take some more stacks as long as they still keep it in reasonable amounts.