FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Nubshy

Frost Mage Help

I am new to playing a mage but i really enjoy the class so far. I have read the guide and have a general idea on how to play frost. But like most other players i feel that my DPS is low. I am 562 ilvl (Link to armory bellow) and pull anywhere from 200-280k DPS depending on the fight. I generally go by ask mr robot for gemming and reforging but feel that i have to much haste currently and could spend rearrange some stats there. Could someone please look at my logs (The logs from 3/12/2014 are frost) and armory and tell me what i am doing wrong or if i am around the numbers i need to be at. Thanks in advance!

http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/315008/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/korgath/Nubshy/advanced

Edited by Nubshy

I just checked your Iron Juggernaut kill where you did 300k and though Living Bomb uptime could be a little bit higher. No wasted brain freezes or fingers of frost. The only thing you can try to improve on is catching buffs in Alter Time a bit better.

I would advise you to get rid of that haste and stick to the 14242 haste build though. But really, on that pull you did very well. Simply keep that up and apply it to other fights. Keep in mind you are only 562 item level with a flex bindings, you really are pulling solid DPS for that gear.

Thanks for your words of encouragement. And if i drop some haste to get closer to 14242 should i prioritize mastery? 

As far as Iron Jug goes i always pull those numbers on that fight but struggle on some of the other encounters in SoO could you possibly look at another log and see what i may be missing (Note that we tried Imm and Nuro on heroic that night so the first 6 Nuro attempts are heroic.) Thanks again for your time. 

Thanks for your words of encouragement. And if i drop some haste to get closer to 14242 should i prioritize mastery? 

As far as Iron Jug goes i always pull those numbers on that fight but struggle on some of the other encounters in SoO could you possibly look at another log and see what i may be missing (Note that we tried Imm and Nuro on heroic that night so the first 6 Nuro attempts are heroic.) Thanks again for your time. 

Yes, prioritise mastery after 14242 haste. I checked Sha of Pride 10n, you missed 33% Invoker's Energy uptime there and you cast some Ice Lances without Fingers of Frost. That aside you did solid DPS. Try to consciously engage in keeping those uptimes up, 

But really, I don't think you're doing bad at all, keep it up, be conscious about your rotation and your DPS will be more than sufficient for heroics.

Thanks for all your help. I only have 18 days play time logged on this toon and was very unsure about my DPS.

You are very welcome :) Keep it up, if you have any other questions now or in the future feel free to ask them.

Some additions:

You had 42 Brain Freeze procs, but you only spent 27 of them on Sha of Pride.

Invoker's energy and Mage Bombs are VERY important to be 95%+! :)

And unfortunately Skeezuh "stole" your Water Elemental. :( This is a common WOL, so your DPS is actually a bit higher than it is shown in WOL. :)

Apart from these uptimes and wasted procs you are doing fine, indeed! You just need to work on them a bit :)

• Like 1

Ah i see. I don't know why my Invokers up time is so low that fight i need to make sure i monitor that better on most of the encounters. 

Thanks for pointing out that bug in WoL i had never seen it before and now know to look for it!

Once you get comfortable with keeping up high uptimes of Invoker's Energy (for some reason, I don't see this in the buffs section of Galakras fight at all) and Mage Bombs, you can check out the Mage tips thread for various SoO fights in this forum. It appears that you favor Living Bomb, but on fights like Galakras, Nether Tempest can help you pull more DPS.

• Like 1

I usually switch to nether temp for Gal, But i am on the tower team and end up sitting in a cannon for some time so i see my DPS drop after first tower. I was lazy this week and just didn't swap bombs for that fight but most other fights with the exception of spoils and gala i do run living bomb.

I am open to suggestions on bombs for the other fights as well if you have any. 

Edited by Nubshy

I am open to suggestions on bombs for the other fights as well if you have any. 

Those are included in SoO mage style topic;)

What I recommend personally for bombs is:

NT for Spoils, Gala, Protectors

Frost Bomb for Immerseus (heroic only, use LB on normal)

LB on everything else

• Like 1

I don't even use FB on Immerseus anymore, just LB, freeze/nova and snapshot glyphed CoC on the adds and they're dead.

• Like 1

I don't even use FB on Immerseus anymore, just LB, freeze/nova and snapshot glyphed CoC on the adds and they're dead.

Depends how long your guild takes to kill them. I had rank 1 on this with FB, it got beaten the other week but plan on taking it back next week with Frost Bomb again. My guild pushes the boss really fast and has the adds up going into the transition.

Which bomb would be better for Heroic Imm progression? I took LB last week but didn't freeze glyph CoC so i know that is one thing i did wrong or could improve on in that fight. 

Which bomb would be better for Heroic Imm progression? I took LB last week but didn't freeze glyph CoC so i know that is one thing i did wrong or could improve on in that fight. 

You have problems with adds? Then Frost Bomb.

No issues with adds? Living Bomb.

We had problems with adds so i will give FB a try this time. Thanks again guys for all the help so far i really do appreciate it.