FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Galatea

Multidotting help

Since I've registered, I might as well ask:

What is the best way to manage keeping dots on all things at once?

I currently use the MageBombTracker add-on, but that only keeps track of when the bombs are about to expire. For what it does, it's awesome and I love it.

But, when the tank pulls like 500 adds of the same name which are all stacked right on him, the enemy nameplates are like a blinking Christmas tree that covers half the screen, click/mouse over targeting is unworkable, and tab targeting seems to cycle trough every add EXCEPT the one you are trying to find. With tab targeting, a further problem I have (besides the usual problems of tab's insistence on nearly always selecting the furthest possible not yet aggroed mob [or pvp flagged ally]), is that my timing on tab, bomb, tab, bomb, tab, bomb... is not perfect. If I do it too slow, I'm losing dps. If I do it too quickly, it skips over one of the targets, and finding that target again is next to impossible.

Is there some addon like healbot or something that would have plates we could click on (at least for bosses) to either select the mob, or preferably just reapply the bomb directly?

How do you guys handle these situations? Do you make specific targeting macros for the bosses or use castsequence or something? Any suggestions which work for you would be appreciated - from zoom levels to camera angles to mouse positioning.

If there's 500 mobs stacked up it's probably better to AoE than multi dot smile.png

There's an option with Tidy plates to disable nameplate stacking, so they will always be seperated.

For bosses, ShadowedUnitFrames has a boss frame that will show health bars of the boss (or bosses on multi target boss fights) and you can make it show DoTs there.

And, copying what I wrote on mmo-c because it's relevant:

I use a mix of 2 things for multi dotting. For dotting up adds and what  have you, Tidy Plates does the job. It puts the bomb timer above the nameplate. For dotting multiple bosses, like Protectors, I use the ShadowUnitFrame boss frame, which basically gives me health bars of all the bosses at the side of my screen with DoT timers next to them, and I can just mouse over the bar to reapply NT.
Edited by durrtygoodz
  • Like 2

If there's 500 mobs stacked up it's probably better to AoE than multi dot smile.png

There's an option with Tidy plates to disable nameplate stacking, so they will always be seperated.

For bosses, ShadowedUnitFrames has a boss frame that will show health bars of the boss (or bosses on multi target boss fights) and you can make it show DoTs there.

And, copying what I wrote on mmo-c because it's relevant:

ElvUi's default UI does that as well I believe, and so do many others. It should not be too difficult keeping up bombs this way, especially when you use mouseover macros. 

I also agree that in the situation you describe you are probably better off AoEing or cleaving(Frozen orb + ice lance, fire spreading DoTs, Arcane doing what Arcane does). Glyphed Cone of Cold is amazing as well, more people should use that skill more often.

• Like 1

It should not be too difficult keeping up bombs this way, especially when you use mouseover macros. 

Would you be so kind to post such macro in the mage macro sticky? I assume that your macro will apply magebomb on your mouse-over target without the need to actually target the mob. Thanx in advance :)

#showtooltip Mage Bomb
 /cast [target=mouseover,exists,nodead,nohelp] Mage Bomb; Mage Bomb

I am not home, so try this. If it works I will put it in the sticky.

#showtooltip Mage Bomb
/cast [@mouseover,harm,exists,nodead] Mage Bomb; Mage bomb; Mage Bomb

This works perfect for me.

Edited by Dutchmagoz
  • Like 1

Short (maybe dumb) question: I have to replace "Mage Bomb" with "Living Bomb" or "Nether Tempest" or will it work with Mage Bomb for both, so I only need one Macro?