FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

PvP Power Stat Returning in Shadowlands?

37988-pvp-rating-updates-in-battle-for-a

Blizzard added a 9.0 PvP Power spell in the latest Alpha Build 34714, which means they mauy bring PvP Power stat back to PvP gear in Shadowlands.

Specifically, it is a spell that has a chance to increase your Primary Stat by an amount equal to your PvP Power for a short duration.

9.0 PvP Power9.0 PvP Power - Your abilities have a high chance to trigger Gladiator's Dominance, increasing your Primary Stat (Agility/Intellect/Strength) by an amount equal to your PvP Power for 15 seconds.

Shadowlands looks excellent in terms of PvP. Vendors are returning to the game, allowing players to purchase gear for Honor and Conquest, and it appears they are also considering adding the PvP Power stat back to PvP gear to differentiate it from PvE gear.

Latest Shadowlands Alpha 34714 News

• Like 1

Or they could just tune the effectiveness of versatility in PvP more, they've shown they can be that granular. There's no need to revisit the days of spell penetration and resilience balancing.

Well, having to have special PvP gear to be relevant in PvP kills the entire game mode for me. I am mostly a PvE player who just looks into PvP every once in a while. Having to farm extra gear for that first makes me feel like i don't wanna play it anymore. Don't like it..

• Confused 1

@ShiftyBro As I can kind of see what you're saying, the gear system right now and pvp scaling is horrible. Much worse than getting gear for pvp specifically. It's BS that someone can work hard on BiS or good gear in general. But then comes a long a fresh 120 with 266-295 ilvl and jump into pvp and the scaling boost them up so much to match the geared folks, it sorta is a slap in the face to anyone working hard towards gear. In many ways it makes gaining gear for pvp pointless. Which imo isn't fun at all. Games should create a way to work towards an end goal. Being handing something isn't fun. 

What they could do, is NOT make it require a ton of effort to obtain pvp gear since once you have your BiS items/stats you're done. Where as pve there's always dungeons/raids changing with each patch. Although pvp does start a new season and higher Ilvl gear. IMO pvp content is easier to do than pve. 

This is excactly what I was hoping for!

I don't want to have to do mythic raiding just to be competitive for PVP.

You can't do PVP to gear up for PVE, so why should it be possible the other way around?

18 hours ago, Rinsick said:

@ShiftyBro As I can kind of see what you're saying, the gear system right now and pvp scaling is horrible. Much worse than getting gear for pvp specifically. ...

I don't see why we gotta have one or the other. Okay, then reduce the upscaling of low geared players a bit. Done. No need for extra PvP gear.

18 hours ago, Rinsick said:

@ShiftyBro Games should create a way to work towards an end goal. Being handing something isn't fun.

In PvP modes, this goal should be to get good (in terms of personal skill) more than getting gear, if you ask me. To draw parallels to League of Legends as an example, you don't need any "gear" to climb to higher ranks. People are working hours and hours towards getting better to climb to higher ratings, regardless.

Hm, sorry I don't get, why in PvP the goal should just be more skill, and in PvE it's skill and gear. 

I wan't to see some kind of character progression, when it comes to my gear.

That's excactly why i want proper PvP gear so badly. PvE people complain, that they can't just easily switch to PvP anymore, but i don't see why that should be a thing at all, when you can't just do PvP and then be geared for PvE, which i wouldn't want, as well. 

People should be able to do, what they want to do, and achieve stuff, through things that are related to that.

On 6/13/2020 at 4:45 AM, ShiftyBro said:

I don't see why we gotta have one or the other. Okay, then reduce the upscaling of low geared players a bit. Done. No need for extra PvP gear.

In PvP modes, this goal should be to get good (in terms of personal skill) more than getting gear, if you ask me. To draw parallels to League of Legends as an example, you don't need any "gear" to climb to higher ranks. People are working hours and hours towards getting better to climb to higher ratings, regardless.

The problem is, if a player needs a H or M raid trinket because it's best in slot for pvp, it's forcing many people through hoops for no reason and NOT everyone can do H or M content (some many have no interest in PVE raid content) but lets say they want to do rated pvp. They will be limited and rating cap'd - by gear. Sadly, it's true. More so in pvp than pve, now, keep in mind there are two hurtles to rated pvp. Gear cap and Skill cap. Once a player gets the "best" gear that's hurtle #1. Then it's 100% skill from that point on hurtle #2. 

PvP (as it has been since the beginning of WoW up till WoD/Legion?-present) should be separate from PvE in terms of gear. BFA grind for both a PVE and PVP set (lets say you're not even going for dif stat sets/corruption sets/etc) That's a ton of time/effort for 1 toon and you may not even have the BiS either. It's to chaotic. The progression element to PVE for gear is part of raiding, dungeons and story telling overall. PvP  should only be a fair amount of effort to get your complete pvp gear set to allow people to jump in and start doing rated plays. PVP isn't necessarily anything progressive other than fine tuning skills and team play = rating increase. 

I know Blizzard was trying out a new system because many people (who mainly did pve only) voiced their opinion about wanting to try pvp/arenas but was bummed they couldn't use their pve gear that they had to 'farm' for pvp gear. They tried it. It wasn't successful. The gear cross over became to complicated and reliant on higher end pve content trinkets/etc. 

To resolve and make 'everyone' happy Blizz could have pve system stay as it, it's fine (other than fixing rng and not getting an item you don't need for 2mths) and make farming pvp gear relatively short in grind. That way many people can jump in to doing pvp for the skill/play not the gear grind as it is now. AND if others wanted to try other classes/alts in pvp they wont have to; Gear grind ilvl, Azerite gear, Echos, Corruptions, Cloak ranks, etc. That's insane for 1 toon let alone any alts...so if the new grind for pvp in Shadowlands was not so insane as it is now, then many more people could actually get into pvp, like yourself. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 5:23 AM, Asakash said:

Hm, sorry I don't get, why in PvP the goal should just be more skill, and in PvE it's skill and gear. 

I wan't to see some kind of character progression, when it comes to my gear.

That's excactly why i want proper PvP gear so badly. PvE people complain, that they can't just easily switch to PvP anymore, but i don't see why that should be a thing at all, when you can't just do PvP and then be geared for PvE, which i wouldn't want, as well. 

People should be able to do, what they want to do, and achieve stuff, through things that are related to that.

Well, if you're heavy into PvP - especially rated pvp - it does come down to skill. Actually, its 100% skill not gear. Once a player is has 'best' pvp set then it's all skill from there. The reasons PVE is 'gear and skill" is because (at the current state of wow gear drop rate) obtaining pve gear takes much longer than pvp, meaning a player getting their class' "best" set for pve content wont be a quick journey and usually not till the end of a given expansion due to patch update content. There are many dungeons and difficulties same for raids and many bosses which for performance requires dif stats/gear/talents/etc. So PVE is WAY more involved when it comes to gear. Whereas pvp is just the player (classes) you're playing against. Seems the same on the surface but it's actually not on the backend. 

What you're saying is; "I want to play in the NFL because I want to and have before and skill shouldn't matter." Believe me, it matters and you don't want to go into the NFL unskilled/trained/practice and not in shape when battle with those who are. 

Same applies for rated PvP players who are pushing rating to climb the ladders/ranks. They're trained, practiced in strategy, team work and team play. Positioning, crowd control training, burst setup and def setup. There is a ton more than just, killing another player and of course World PVP or Battlegrounds are different than Rated 2v2 or 3v3 arenas or Rated Battlegrounds. That's why Blizzard made rated and non-rated content. Those who want to take it to the next level and those who just want to casually pvp. The gear still applies to it all though. Skill is for those who want to improve themselves and their in game rank.

Edited by Rinsick

On 6/12/2020 at 3:46 PM, ShiftyBro said:

Well, having to have special PvP gear to be relevant in PvP kills the entire game mode for me. I am mostly a PvE player who just looks into PvP every once in a while. Having to farm extra gear for that first makes me feel like i don't wanna play it anymore. Don't like it..

Yeah well, I see PvP players hating on PvE for having to farm that gear in order to PvP now so... It's never easy to satisfy all ?

9 hours ago, Znifler said:

Yeah well, I see PvP players hating on PvE for having to farm that gear in order to PvP now so... It's never easy to satisfy all ?

I've got a magical idea that no small indie company developer could ever have: Let PvP players earn the same gear in PvP as is available through PvE. So both can farm the gear in the game mode they play mainly and then casually participate in the other. BAM, revolutionary, i know.

I'm getting so frustrated here, looking for new information on the PvP system. Nearly in every expansion we see that PvE in BiS - by far - for PvP and it's ridiculous.

But there is a huge difference between PvP and PvE, and that is the skill-based element.

PvE is all about learning rotations, understanding boss mechanics and team work, bosses will rarely change behaviour based on yours. 

PvP is all about quick competitive fighting, understanding your opponent (other classes) and a ton of experience to adapt to a nearly infinite amount of circumstances. 

This also changes the function of gear, in PvP you may switch gear to go for a different approach but ultimately it's a test of knowledge and skill. To be stuck on a certain rating due to lack of gear is just terrible in a competitive environment. It would be fine if you up your rating, aquire a new set, then up some more but that's not reality.

Reality is that the level of gear you aquire for besting opponents is not equal to their gear. Ie, opponents have ilevel 475 gear on 1600 rating and the reward for that same rating is an ilevel 460(?). 

In short the PvE gear into play in PvP completely destroys the whole rating and consequently the reward system, making PvP a no-go unless you're a top 1% player or PvE geared.

My 2c, blizz plix bring back resilience or smth

41 minutes ago, Furjin said:

I'm getting so frustrated here, looking for new information on the PvP system. Nearly in every expansion we see that PvE in BiS - by far - for PvP and it's ridiculous.

But there is a huge difference between PvP and PvE, and that is the skill-based element.

PvE is all about learning rotations, understanding boss mechanics and team work, bosses will rarely change behaviour based on yours. 

PvP is all about quick competitive fighting, understanding your opponent (other classes) and a ton of experience to adapt to a nearly infinite amount of circumstances. 

This also changes the function of gear, in PvP you may switch gear to go for a different approach but ultimately it's a test of knowledge and skill. To be stuck on a certain rating due to lack of gear is just terrible in a competitive environment. It would be fine if you up your rating, aquire a new set, then up some more but that's not reality.

Reality is that the level of gear you aquire for besting opponents is not equal to their gear. Ie, opponents have ilevel 475 gear on 1600 rating and the reward for that same rating is an ilevel 460(?). 

In short the PvE gear into play in PvP completely destroys the whole rating and consequently the reward system, making PvP a no-go unless you're a top 1% player or PvE geared.

My 2c, blizz plix bring back resilience or smth

Currently, there is no difference between PvP and PvE gear, I don't see why you would buy gear from the vendors in Shadowlands, unless there is a PvP Power stat or brackets similar to Legion that make the gear worth it.