FORUMS
Starym

Blizzard Responds to Bot Player Complaints

49998-layers-return-for-herod-and-whitem

There have been many complaints from Classic players on the huge presence of bots in almost every aspect of the game and Blizzard have now issued a formal response.

In the response they state that their fight against bots has been getting more intense over the past months, with a reiteration of the need for players to keep reporting them (despite many players feeling the reports don't get results). This could in part be a response to a recent video (which was privated but can still be found in the linked reddit thread) that covered the many crazy ways that bots abuse the game, from no-clipping, flying around etc.

Blizzard LogoBots (source)

Over the last few months, we’ve been accelerating our efforts to deal with certain kinds of cheating that players often call “bots” – the use of automation to play the game in exploitative ways. As you know, bots are often operated by people who exploit the game in order to make money selling in-game resources and leveling services to other players. Botting is explicitly against the Blizzard End User License Agreement, and we take strong actions against those who cheat in World of Warcraft.

We’ve recently seen some WoW Classic players ask “How can we help Blizzard get rid of bots?” and the answer remains the same: please continue to report them. And thank you for doing so.

Right-click reporting a player for cheating is the best way you can participate in our speedily removing bot accounts. Your right-click reports go straight to our team of agents who investigate these issues, and who can then determine if further action is warranted.

Thank you to everyone who has right-click reported potential bots so far; we really appreciate you taking the time to help us make the game nicer and fairer. Please continue to send us your reports as much as possible, and we’ll continue to enforce the rules as swiftly as we can.

• Like 1

Funny thing is, Blizz has absoluteely no problem of issuing bans to innoceent people. I got banned on my trial account a few weeks back for gold selling. I haven't logged to my trial account since Cataclysm xD

21 minutes ago, Babel said:

Funny thing is, Blizz has absoluteely no problem of issuing bans to innoceent people. I got banned on my trial account a few weeks back for gold selling. I haven't logged to my trial account since Cataclysm xD

Think it's possible that a gold seller got access to the account and was using it?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rag said:

Think it's possible that a gold seller got access to the account and was using it?

This. My account was compromised once, and I got banned for it without knowing why until Blizz told me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Babel said:

Is gold selling not illegal?

7 hours ago, Znifler said:

Is gold selling not illegal?

By asking that question I'm pretty sure you missed the point. Unless he is lying about the situation, he clearly points out it wasn't him selling gold. His account probably got compromised, it happens.

Over the last few months, we’ve been accelerating our efforts to deal with certain kinds of cheating that players often call “bots” 

“How can we help Blizzard get rid of bots?” and the answer remains the same: please continue to report them.

"Over the last few months" sounds like it was okay, before average players noticed it.
A not-that-wise man once said: 
“We want to say we’re sorry to those of you who didn’t have the experience you wanted. [...]
Sincerely, Blizzard
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When the same bot running the same route gets reported every day for months on end and nothing happens people quit reporting bots.

• Like 1

It'd be amazing if they'd fix premade vs pug nonsense. I get there's a chunk of no changes groups but I'd say to that see how many of them are part of gatekeeping. Queing for a big and just getting gy camped , be it fast token or not, isn't playing the game. I understand that brackets can be high but since going to rank 11 on a rogue ( was what I had back when ) and now my hunter it's gotten worse. Premades used to at least slow up come the weekend ( when other players would've reached cap ). The past 3 weeks have been majority premades Tuesday till Monday evening. It's killing the game for many that chat in those bgs. 

On 6/16/2020 at 12:59 AM, Rag said:

Nope, not possible, all my accounts are secure since WotLK. That account has been inactive since Cataclysm. Also, last time I checked trial character cannot send whispers, cannot yell, cannot talk in world chat, cannot trade, cannot even party. All it can do is say.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym
      After the sudden and tragic passing of well-known streamer and personality Byron "Reckful" Bernstein, in addition to basically the entire WoW community paying their respects on twitter, facebook etc, we now also have some really amazing reactions in-game as well. While there were plenty of wonderful threads on retail WoW as well, the response in Classic was special. Many, many servers have seen gatherings of players paying their respects in the Cathedral of Light in Stormwind, or in Grommash Hold in Orgrimmar.
      It is truly heartwarming to see such kindness and respect, and somehow it seems even more fitting when it's presented in the game itself. We join everyone in the WoW community in mourning the loss of Reckful, and are very thankful and impressed by the dedication all of these players showed by honoring their fallen brother.
      Many more people than presented here showed up, but these are just some of the images that were captured and still showcase the tremendous support shown.
      Sulfuras, Alliance and Horde:

Earthshaker:

Faerlina, Heartseeker:

Grobbulus, Bigglesworth:

Mankirk, Nethergarde Keep:

Shazzrah, Zandalari Tribe:

Herod, Kromcrush:

Razorgore, Gehennas:

Mograine Alliance:

Mograine Horde:

It didn't matter how many people actually attended, the thought itself is still truly an amazing one:
      Atiesh, Deviate Delight:

• By Starym
      Here comes another addition to the "not a bug" list, as Blizzard have clarified that the extra elemental damage from weapons like Thunderfury or Warblade of Caer Darrow, while weird, is working as intended, aka like it did in Classic. Check out the detailed description explaining how it's actually logged as physical damage, but still affected by things like elemental protection potions:
      Elemental Damage (source)
      We wanted to take a moment to clarify that the extra elemental damage from weapons such as Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker, Iceblade Hacker, and Warblade of Caer Darrow are behaving as expected in WoW Classic and do not actually cause additional non-physical damage to the target. They do however still inflict extra damage in the amount specified in the tooltips. This is not noted in the combat log separately and is simply calculated as additional physical damage added to the weapon’s attack.
      That being said, it has been noticed by players that when using an elemental barrier such as a nature/frost/fire protection potion or a shield that absorbs a specific element, you will see an “absorbed (X)” message in the combat log. This is also correct and working as expected, and such effects will reduce the damage of attacks by such weapons by the amount of extra elemental damage specified in the weapon tooltip.
      Ultimately the way these weapons function is a very old quirk/bug with how original World of Warcraft was built. While definitely strange and unintuitive, these weapons are behaving exactly as they did in the original game and we have no intention of changing them to behave differently in WoW Classic.
      I hope this helps provide some clarity around this very odd quirk inherent to these types of weapons!

• By Starym
      With the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj event coming up in Phase 5 later this month, there's a lot more focus on realm transfers, as entire groups/guilds might be going for that Scarab Lord title and mount on a low pop server. Today we have some clarifications from Blizzard on how realm transfers are going to work, specifically for those chasing the Scarab Lord title, noting that you cannot get the rewards from finishing the quest line for 90 days after transferring.
      Realm Transfers (source)
      With the upcoming Ahn’Qiraj event in WoW Classic, we’ve seen players discussing transferring to a different server to become the Scarab Lord. We’d like to clarify that there is a 90-day period following a character transfer, during which a player is prevented from opening the gates and obtaining the mount.
      If you transfer to another realm, you will still be able to complete the quest within 90 days of the transfer, however, you will not receive the rewards associated with being the first to turn it in. We want to allow players to transfer, but that should be so they can play with their friends, not disrupt another realm’s Scepter race.
      We hope this clears up the concern.
    • By Starym
      Blizzard shared more thoughts about bots and their banning thereof, specifically the fact that they've been removing more and more bot accounts, even after the big banwave from earlier this month, with as many as 40,000 more having been removed since then, across all regions.

This all comes after a statement of intent against botting, which wasn't taken very seriously by the community, which was then followed by a 30 instances a day limit, and then the 74,000 account banwave (which was actually a cumulative total from a few months).
      Actions Against Exploitation (source)
      Since the launch of WoW Classic, we’ve taken action daily against accounts that were botting, hacking, and selling in-game services for real money. This continual effort has resulted in the average daily number of accounts actioned consistently increasing in the Americas, EU, Korea, and Taiwan. In May of this year, we witnessed a surge in the number of botters, and our intensification of efforts to eliminate them brought our average of actioned accounts upwards into the thousands per day.
      Since our last post about this issue on June 17, we’ve continued to remove exploiters at a high pace, typically 2,000-3,000 per day, with over 4,000 accounts actioned on some days. This daily effort has resulted in actions taken against over 40,000 accounts since June 17 in the Americas, EU, Korea, and Taiwan.
      We’re dedicated to driving the the exploiters away wherever we can, as we continue to make our response to this one of our highest priorities. This is a long-term effort that becomes continuously more difficult, as exploits and those who use them are driven by real money profit motives. We take action constantly, 24/7, to enforce the Blizzard End-User License Agreement. Any account that violates or assists others in violating license limitations on hacking, cheating, and other unauthorized use of the game is subject to suspension and removal.
      As always, we greatly appreciate your reports. Player reports have been and will remain highly valuable to us, as we must evolve our detection and response methods to stay ahead of the organizations who would otherwise degrade the game for legitimate players.
      Thank you very much.
    • By Starym
      After some confusion over why the majority of nature resist gear wasn't available either before or during the AQ patch, Blizzard have replied with the exact times the gear was implemented and why, as well as provided a list of the specific items that won't be coming with the next phase and patch, as they were always intended as catch-up gear introduced in Naxxramas for people to more easily clear AQ.
      Nature Resist Gear (source)
      Overall, the nature-resist gear that was released in original WoW in patch 1.11 was catch-up gear. It was released along with Naxx to help close the gap for guilds who were still dealing with trying to get certain pieces from Green Dragons and Maraudon because they were stuck on Huhuran.
      To be specific, here’s a list of pieces that are not in WoW Classic 1.13.5:
      Type Name Source Plate Ironvine Belt Blacksmithing Plate Ironvine Gloves Blacksmithing Plate Ironvine Breastplate Blacksmithing Leather Bramblewood Belt Leatherworking Leather Bramblewood Boots Leatherworking Leather Bramblewood Helm Leatherworking Head/Leg Ench Savage Guard Quest (Zandalar) Ring Band of Cenarius Quest: A Humble Offering Cloth Sylvan Shoulders Tailoring Cloth Sylvan Crown Tailoring Back Gaea’s Embrace Tailoring Cloth Sylvan Vest Tailoring We’re still considering precisely when to release this gear, given their usefulness and purpose. As with original WoW, that time will come later, after AQ is opened and being raided.