FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Heirloms Will No Longer Increase Experience Gains in Shadowlands

41950-heirlooms-scale-to-level-120-in-pa

So a lot of you probably wonder what's going to happen with Heirlooms after the leveling squish and changes in Shadowlands. Blizzard confirmed in an interview with MrGM that they would no longer provide XP bonuses!

On the Alpha, we checked out the Heirloom Tab multiple times and found out that they no longer increase experience gains. We thought this was just a bug that would get fixed in future builds, but the opposite is true.

WoWScrnShot_070920_195240.jpg

Heirlooms will no longer provide Experience Bonuses in Shadowlands. They are replacing the XP bonuses with something that's not percentage-based, so maybe we will see other interesting effects on them that will be useful during the leveling process.

Keep in mind that leveling in Shadowlands is much faster compared to what we currently have on live 8.3 servers, so the change might not be that bad, granted that the new effects will be worth it.

You can watch the full interview with Morgan Day here.

Maybe some procs or on-use effects could be nice.  Not that most classes have an issue with downtime while leveling though.

Bad dicision or not, everyone with heirlooms put in ALOT of gold into this system, so now its going to be......useless? cause if there is no xp bonuses, what is the point in using at all.

I think they should have either left in the xp boosts or told us outright what it will do instead and it needs to speed up leveling in some way....otherwise, its wasted gold.

• Like 4

It's a poor decision. They were acquired and upgraded, through no small cost, to provide a boost for your extra characters - no time restriction or other limitation was placed on them or hinted would be placed on them..

It's irrelevant what the base levelling speed is, the purpose of buying and upgrading heirlooms was to level faster. Nothing is more useful than that.

What are they going to add that'll contribute to the process that they don't include already? Immortality? One-shot all foes? Their purpose was to speed up levelling beyond it's base pace, and that's now gone.

• Like 2

Even though I have bought a lot of heirlooms, I am really pleased they get rid of this EXP gain. It made the leveling too fast and boring and I felt like it was mandatory to wear heirlooms. 

Last toon I leveled I didn't put the heirlooms on and it felt way better.

It is a bold and good decisions from them to get rid of it.

it better be something great or i just spent 50k+ (buying/upgrading all looms to 120) on paper weights

Edited by Borgoff33

17 minutes ago, Peghoul said:

Even though I have bought a lot of heirlooms, I am really pleased they get rid of this EXP gain. It made the leveling too fast and boring and I felt like it was mandatory to wear heirlooms. 

Last toon I leveled I didn't put the heirlooms on and it felt way better.

It is a bold and good decisions from them to get rid of it.

Well, the way i see it, if you don't like them, don;'t use them....its just ruining those that enjoyed them......are they not thinking with this?

I wonder if they plan to release potions from the store that give 100% xp increase or something for like £5?? This is Activision after all, there isn't a single thing they don't put into their Micro-transaction system to make abit of extra scratch.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ravenclaw89 said:

I don't know how I feel about this ?

I don't either. I just leveled a character to 85 specifically to optimize heirloom enchants, but my impression was that it wouldn't take even two days to completely level to the new xpac start. I can live with the loss of xp if we got interesting effects added. Maybe an effect like the caravan wagon buff or treasure finding potions, 50% run speed boost in the open world or a small increase for your entire dungeon party, a whistle-like ability to take you to the nearest flight point. 

That is...a shame. Over the years I've spent a lot of money and time acquiring and upgrading heirlooms, so to hear that we're losing the primary reason for their existence is kind of a kick in the teeth.  I hope that the XP boost will be replaced by something else so we don't feel like that was entirely wasted money and effort.

That said...I have used heirlooms to level 10 alts so you could argue I got my moneys-worth from them.

For all the people saying stuff about the only use for heirlooms was the exp buff, you do realize that in shadowlands, blizzard themselves are estimating that 1-60 will take anywhere between 10-20 hours, and that the bonus to exp gains is literally being baked into the leveling experience? There would be no need to boost base leveling speed and keep bonus exp on heirlooms, which were actually made so you didn't need to find gear for those slots while leveling, with the bonus of having extra exp. Now maybe they'll buff the stats on them for leveling, or at the very least, make some nice perks on them that isn't going to just be bonus exp, maybe actually have the on use/proc effects of the actual item it is representing, or hell, maybe they'll have set bonuses for them.

Edited by Skrilla86
Wording
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Skrilla86 said:

For all the people saying stuff about the only use for heirlooms was the exp buff, you do realize that in shadowlands, blizzard themselves are estimating that 1-60 will take anywhere between 10-20 hours, and that the bonus to exp gains is literally being baked into the leveling experience? There would be no need to boost base leveling speed and keep bonus exp on heirlooms, which were actually made so you didn't need to find gear for those slots while leveling, with the bonus of having extra exp. Now maybe they'll buff the stats on them for leveling, or at the very least, make some nice perks on them that isn't going to just be bonus exp, maybe actually have the on use/proc effects of the actual item it is representing, or hell, maybe they'll have set bonuses for them.

My words exactly.

XP bonus is fine and one of strong points of these items, but the 2nd or maybe 1st strong point is, that you dont need to change your item every level up as They become stronger with your every new level and you are able to kill easily lvl 50/80/90/100/… as fast and easily as you did at lvl 1/5/… +- (more or less ?  ) and not having spend time to grind dungs and some side quests for gear and weapons so you dont run on 55lvl char with legs for 23lvl where armor and stats will be prety low. So the advantage of using them will more or less remain, with some new perks like +x% move speed..HP regen(passive/active, over time or on kill), absorbs,dmg/heal procs etc.

I've got 88/100 looms, and each armour type has them upgraded to 120, with a couple of multiples, so a lot of gold spent. I also have every class to 120, with a couple of multiples, so they're definitely heavily used and have been worth it. 

The way I see it, I paid for them, I get a lot of use now and have in the past, and will keep using them going forward most likely since they'll still scale with lvl making gearing easy, and likely still be Rare/Epic quality. We're not losing the XP buff, since it'll be faster to level, we're gaining other buffs (useful or not).

While I am also a little annoyed by the fact that the exp bonus is gone, those items always were on par with epic gear of the same character level. You won't have to wear quest items like greens, blue's and occasionly the epics that are rolled higher. Still, they coul'd get players who had bought them for the exp buff in the recent years some small compensation. Maybe a unique pet, or a title or even the chauffeur mount as an unobtainable achievement now.

Imagine the new Heirloom effects would increase your Movement Speed or regenerate a portion of health on kill, I'd much rather have those over to the XP bonuses that will be baked into the new experience by default.

4 hours ago, Perak said:

My words exactly.

XP bonus is fine and one of strong points of these items, but the 2nd or maybe 1st strong point is, that you dont need to change your item every level up as They become stronger with your every new level and you are able to kill easily lvl 50/80/90/100/… as fast and easily as you did at lvl 1/5/… +- (more or less ?  ) and not having spend time to grind dungs and some side quests for gear and weapons so you dont run on 55lvl char with legs for 23lvl where armor and stats will be prety low. So the advantage of using them will more or less remain, with some new perks like +x% move speed..HP regen(passive/active, over time or on kill), absorbs,dmg/heal procs etc.

Actually, the Items in power wise are not that great, i have multiple times looted items better than the heirlooms, quite abit better, since they only scale every 4 or so levels instead of every level.

If they restore their former strength, then i can live with the lack of xp bonuses, but once again, i wouldn't be surprised if Activision brings out a xp boost potion for £5. lol

• Like 1

yes I just came back after 5 years and spent a ton of gold on a bunch of heirlooms only to find out there is a 100% exp buff that won't go away. this just makes it even worse.

Nut will they work for new characters though i kinda feel like iw asted all my gold upgrading my hierlooms will they give us some compusation of some sorts.

On 7/11/2020 at 4:31 AM, Jozilla said:

yes I just came back after 5 years and spent a ton of gold on a bunch of heirlooms only to find out there is a 100% exp buff that won't go away. this just makes it even worse.

That XP bonus is going away when either Shadowlands Pre-Patch goes live or the expansion as a whole goes live.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:52 PM, dek1979 said:

Nut will they work for new characters though i kinda feel like iw asted all my gold upgrading my hierlooms will they give us some compusation of some sorts.

It is unknown what they plan to put in the XP bonuses place....i have all the purchaseable heirlooms fully upgraded.....i feel cheated now. lol