FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

The Community's Growing Concerns With the Recent Realm Connections

50966-realm-connections-in-the-us-region

The recent realm connections came with a few adverse side effects, it seems, as Blizzard merged realms of different languages, which creates issues on both ends of the spectrum.

We've got hit up by @Scholer, who says the recent merge of Al'akir, Skullcrusher, Xavius with Burning Legion (EU) had a negative impact on gameplay because Burning Legion is mainly comprised of Polish players that do not talk English in the channels, so with the merge, there are English-speaking folks who do not understand Polish and vice versa.

OeDLbzP.png

Here's how Trade Chat looks like after the recent realm connections.

The issue has also been brought up on the official forums and Reddit, where the threads accrued hundreds of responses, the main concern being the recent connection of Frostmane and Aggra, a Portuguese realm.

Currently, there are no other solutions other than buying a Paid Character Transfer off these realms, which can get quite expensive if you're planning on moving more characters from the affected realm to another.

One Redditor calculated that it would cost a whopping 13,370 Euros to move the entire guild off the server!

Has your server been affected by the recent realm connections? Let us know in the comments!

• Like 1

Meh,

playing and seeing how this has panned out EU-Frostmane I think it worked out pretty well, the trade isn't all Portuguese as the forums seem to suggest and it has been much livelier, and people from Aggra/Grim Batol have been nice.

Aggra probably wouldn't be able to sustain a realm by itself and Europe as a whole is a melting pot of different languages, of course there is going to be some intermingling but it doesn't matter what realm you play on non-english guilds are everywhere.

overall I approve of the connections, and I think any outrage is wayyy overblown.

Edited by 4iamking

13 minutes ago, 4iamking said:

Meh,

playing and seeing how this has panned out EU-Frostmane I think it worked out pretty well, the trade isn't all Portuguese as the forums seem to suggest and it has been much livelier, and people from Aggra/Grim Batol have been nice.

Aggra probably wouldn't be able to sustain a realm by itself and Europe as a whole is a melting pot of different languages, of course there is going to be some intermingling but it doesn't matter what realm you play on non-english guilds are everywhere.

overall I approve of the connections, and I think any outrage is wayyy overblown.

Okay buddy i whish you were right. 

Think you should take a look for yourself, its nothing but hostile msg etc in tradechat. They clearly dont want us there and we dont want to be there either. We had noting to say here, this feels like blizzard forcing us to pay for server transfers!  

90% if not more of the guilds are talking polish, so for me this is the same lowpop realm since i cant communicate with new guilds etc. Its nothing but a FAIL from Blizzard

Edited by Scholer

I can only  speak from my experience on Frostmane... burning legion is a much larger realm than Grim Batol could ever have dreamt of being (and Xavius was the smallest EU English server), so the dynamics of that connection probably are a bit different, but regardless the benefits to the economy and auction house transcend language barriers and if not Xavius it would be an other server.

Also you don't lose anything, everyone who was on your server before is still on your server, your servers guilds didn't suddenly all become polish or Portuguese or whatever, they are still English servers at the core, blizzard cant force people to play/speak a certain language however, and most European languages don't have the player base to sustain their own stand-alone populations, even the Italian realms are pretty dead/due for a merger at least.

As you say: "Also you don't lose anything, everyone who was on your server before is still on your server, your servers guilds didn't suddenly all become polish or Portuguese or whatever" Then what is the point in this merge?? The problem with our realm before wasn't the AH alone? (Worked fine for me) The problem was the lack of players and guilds to raid with etc. And the merge with Burning Legion has clearly fixed nothing = This is a FAIL

Edited by Scholer

7 minutes ago, Scholer said:

Then what is the point in this merge?? 

Simple, to expand the server's economy... that always should be the goal, servers have become largely irreverent otherwise, most in-game content doesn't care for what server you're on.

There is no official Polish server, so Burning Legion is still considered English. It's only been treated as unofficial one, because many Polish guilds have formed or moved there. Also, looking at this chat I'm glad that I've never played on that server, as someone who can understand what's written there. People should simply stick to English in main chats, maybe with guild recruitment being an exception, if said guild isn't international.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arcling said:

There is no official Polish server, so Burning Legion is still considered English. It's only been treated as unofficial one, because many Polish guilds have formed or moved there. Also, looking at this chat I'm glad that I've never played on that server, as someone who can understand what's written there. People should simply stick to English in main chats, maybe with guild recruitment being an exception, if said guild isn't international.

Pretty much, my server has a really high pop so it has never been merged but we've had to deal with sudden "language invasions", It was always really rare to see non-english other than guild recruits for almost the entirety of the servers existence but then during WoD (I think) out of nowhere basically all public chats became completely unusable with people spamming non-stop, eventually people begged blizz to do something about it and blizz came with a generic copout "Europe has many nationalities and languages" bullshit which just amused the spammers and made it worse, eventually I think Blizz did lay down the hammer and told people to speak english in public chats or face punishment and thankfully it died down but it took a long time.

Edited by Yojiro

4 minutes ago, Scholer said:

So you're telling me Blizzard cares more about the economy than the playerbase? If you do then i'm out ^^

An unstocked auction house and no one to sell to has a far more detrimental effect to gameplay and its playerbase than sharing the server with a few foreign language guilds ever would.... These servers are being turned into rare spawn hop locales (more of a problem for RP servers tbh) and BMAH servers for boost goblins to game the region so they can get/sell BMAH tigers on the cheap, I think we can agree that neither of these is a good place for a server to be and certainly don't bring life to it, i'd see the whole situation more as blizzard looking out for the player base, they said we can expect more connections and quite frankly id be happy if blizzard halfed the number of servers in existence.

24 minutes ago, 4iamking said:

An unstocked auction house and no one to sell to has a far more detrimental effect to gameplay and its playerbase than sharing the server with a few foreign language guilds ever would.... These servers are being turned into rare spawn hop locales (more of a problem for RP servers tbh) and BMAH servers for boost goblins to game the region so they can get/sell BMAH tigers on the cheap, I think we can agree that neither of these is a good place for a server to be and certainly don't bring life to it, i'd see the whole situation more as blizzard looking out for the player base, they said we can expect more connections and quite frankly id be happy if blizzard halfed the number of servers in existence.

As an AH goblin myself, i've been selling on Al'akir for years and it has been my main realm since wotlk/cata. Yes the prices were high, because there wasn't a high demand for old world stuff or mounts etc. However, do you look at general stuff like BFA mats, pots, flasks etc then it wasn't bad at all during BFA etc. Al'akir/Skullcrusher/Xavius wasn't so dead as you think it was (It did need some help i can agree with that). I sold for 400-1mil+ every week on my main realm Al'akir. 

Edited by Scholer

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Furthermore, Kilrogg (US) has been connected with Nazjatar, where the vast majority of players speak Spanish, making it increasingly tricky finding a non-Spanish party.

also 1 thing for the editor, Disregarding the fact that US servers have dedicated Spanish servers, as far as I know Kilrogg is just connected with Winterhoof on US, if there is a connection with Nazjatar it would be nothing more than CRZ happening, And Nazjatar has a US locale (it isn't one of those Spanish servers)...

Just now, 4iamking said:

also 1 thing for the editor, Disregarding the fact that US servers have dedicated Spanish servers, as far as I know Kilrogg is just connected with Winterhoof on US, if there is a connection with Nazjatar it would be nothing more than CRZ happening, And Nazjatar has a US locale (it isn't one of those Spanish servers)...

Agree, Ragnaros, Quel'Thalas and Drakkari are the spanish servers.

• Like 1

It's Classic year, so consider this part of the Classic experience, you can be part of an international community - great opportunity to make Portuguese, Spanish or Polish friends. I'm sure they will leave the General and Trade Chat with time, but they will never completely disappear, these realms developed their national characters through 15 years, not sure why English-speaking players want that erased. For the time being players from merged realms can still make their own private chats (/join Xavius) for connecting with friendly faces.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Badadada said:

I'm sure they will leave the General and Trade Chat with time, but they will never completely disappear, these realms developed their national characters through 15 years, not sure why English-speaking players want that erased. 

Spanish and Portuguese, unlike Polish, have their own official servers and game localization. They also came out a bit later, they didn't exist at launch.

45 minutes ago, Badadada said:

It's Classic year, so consider this part of the Classic experience, you can be part of an international community - great opportunity to make Portuguese, Spanish or Polish friends. I'm sure they will leave the General and Trade Chat with time, but they will never completely disappear, these realms developed their national characters through 15 years, not sure why English-speaking players want that erased. For the time being players from merged realms can still make their own private chats (/join Xavius) for connecting with friendly faces.

Leave the general chat? Maybe when wow is offical dead. I've been talking with some people from the server and it sounds like the polish people have been asking for a polish client/server for a long time. They didn't get one, so they made one them self on Burning Legion, one dude told me they have addons etc to translate quests and so on to polish.  

https://imgur.com/a/Cyalnl7

Edited by Scholer

34 minutes ago, Scholer said:

Leave the general chat? Maybe when wow is offical dead. I've been talking with some people from the server and it sounds like the polish people have been asking for a polish client/server for a long time. They didn't get one, so they made one them self on Burning Legion, one dude told me they have addons etc to translate quests and so on to polish.  

https://imgur.com/a/Cyalnl7

They didn't get a polish client because clearly Blizzard did a risk analysis some time ago and decided it wasn't warranted, translating a game the size of wow (and maintaining that client language) doesn't come cheap, and to do so you also need to have a significant enough uptake to make it worth the investment. The only reason a Portuguese client exists is because of the Brazilian market, and Aggra only exists as a server as an offshoot of that, but that too wouldn't be sustainable if maintained the Portuguese client just for EU players.

Look I get it that your upset about it but it had to happen to someone, even before the merger while burning legion was high pop it was def at the lower end of that scale, and for the health of the game 1 server would have eventually probably had to merge with it one way or another... there isn't an other server with a large polish community on it so what do you do? I really feel like bar a few very vocal folks, most people are happy today, my experience in game has been great.

Edited by 4iamking

7 minutes ago, 4iamking said:

They didn't get a polish client because clearly Blizzard did a risk analysis some time ago and decided it wasn't warranted, translating a game the size of wow (and maintaining that client language) doesn't come cheap, and to do so you also need to have a significant enough uptake to make it worth the investment. The only reason a Portuguese client exists is because of the Brazilian market, and Aggra only exists as a server as an offshoot of that, but that too wouldn't be sustainable if maintained the Portuguese client for EU players.

Look I get it that your upset about it but it had to happen to someone, even before the merger while burning legion was high pop it was def at the lower end of that scale, and for the health of the game 1 server would have eventually probably had to merge with it one way or another... there isn't an other server with a large polish community on it so what do you do? I really feel like bar a few very vocal folks, most people are happy today, my experience in game has been great.

Off course i'm upset... The realm i have been playing on since i was a kid is now unplayable to me and i had nothing to say in it? There was many other options for merges? Stormscale would've been a prime example in a great merge or perhaps just merge some of the low pop realms into a big one? Me seeing this merg just tells me that Blizzard put 0 thought into this, other than the numbers. It didn't fix the issue at all, most likely just made it worse regarding the lust to play.

32 minutes ago, Scholer said:

Off course i'm upset... The realm i have been playing on since i was a kid is now unplayable to me and i had nothing to say in it?

Sorry, but I'm still struggling to understand how is it so - I've been playing on realms with Swedish, Romanian and Italian (before the Italian localization) majorities but it never really bothered me, there were still international guilds and with the introduction of group finder and cross-realm activities almost every side effect was erased, you've got to share the chat with these people, but that's all - you're not forced to play together, there are tons of gameplay options to find buddies you prefer over the fine people of Poland.

Though after all - we're all EU, living under the same flag, why is it such a big drama that we have to tolerate the language of each other in a videogame (again: you're not even required to communicate with them if you don't want to).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scholer said:

Off course i'm upset... The realm i have been playing on since i was a kid is now unplayable to me and i had nothing to say in it? There was many other options for merges? Stormscale would've been a prime example in a great merge or perhaps just merge some of the low pop realms into a big one? Me seeing this merg just tells me that Blizzard put 0 thought into this, other than the numbers. It didn't fix the issue at all, most likely just made it worse regarding the lust to play.

let me ask you this if you had to pick a low/medium pop server to connect with Burning legion, which one would you pick and why? And im asking this without considering which datacenter the servers are located in, because that is a restriction people always seem to forget.. Stormscale is in a totally different data centre from Xavius, so there's there's no way blizzard is going to make that merger because that would mean physically moving one of the servers.

57 minutes ago, Badadada said:

Sorry, but I'm still struggling to understand how is it so - I've been playing on realms with Swedish, Romanian and Italian (before the Italian localization) majorities but it never really bothered me, there were still international guilds and with the introduction of group finder and cross-realm activities almost every side effect was erased, you've got to share the chat with these people, but that's all - you're not forced to play together, there are tons of gameplay options to find buddies you prefer over the fine people of Poland.

Though after all - we're all EU, living under the same flag, why is it such a big drama that we have to tolerate the language of each other in a videogame (again: you're not even required to communicate with them if you don't want to).

I dont think you understand how bad it is? Sure i woulnd't mind a few people there spoke polish, swedish whatever in the chat. However, this is a full population of polish player and many of them dont even understand english so 90%+ of them only speak polish in chat.

The core issue on our old merge was finding players for our guilds/raids etc. I talked with one of the Al'akir guilds that have been recruiting all day, 0 people has joined the guild since the merge... Then what is the purpose of this merge, it it didn't fix anything? 

If you have a subscribson i think you should make a character on the realm and check it out for yourself. They clearly dont want us there, only thing they spam is kebab, learn polish and other toxic sh*t? 

Main problem on Xavius/Al'akir/Skullcrusher wasnt ah or finding people to raid heroic/normal content but finding a guild to raid mythic before it goes crossrealm(which was a problem with only Halcyon properly raiding there).Most of the raiding guilds on Burning Legion are Polish guilds and English ones dont seem to be active or arent even recruiting.Its basically being on a new server with alot of people where you sadly cant really do much if you dont speak a specific language(which is basically the same being on a low population server).It would be different if people spoke english on official channels and made guilds dedicated to their own language if neccesary but atm the situation of Burning Legion server has shown that they speak Polish everywhere and somebody who speaks the language cant really do anything there.

• Like 1

The same problem exists with european and russian servers. Most of the people I come across have at least one or two russian (or more if in raid) in their group and they hardly speak any english. While most of us europeans tend to speak english even if its not our mother tongue, we can get along somewhat.
It just hit levels I am very annoyed with when I tried to down Nzoth the other day. Half of the group was russian and the entire text in raid chat was in russian as well. Even after asking them to speak english to that everyone can understand the topic, they kept on using signs I can't even read.

I'm from Poland and today I got mail from polish Burning Legion because I said some bad words about they interaction with newcomers. That mail make me sure that players care more about they servers than Blizzard. I think it was make in good will and have a joke vibe. But you can read it there:

Underground Poland has decided that you will be removed from this country immediately for treason and publicly slandering our nation. If you want your family to be safe, put yourself in our hands.Zdjęcie

• Confused 1

Ahh yes, the Burning-Onion. I'm from Poland and Burning-Legion was the server i was recommend to play on. 6-7 months later i was full of the *filtered* going on there so i moved to Ravencrest and it's so much peaceful there, people were much friendlier. Reading above trade chat gave me a bit of laugh but this is also sad at the same time because what they said there shows our intolerance to other nations and it's SO polish, even i don't know why there's so much hatred towards people from anywhere but Poland. I do understand them though. They signed up for a server with big and strong polish community and they would like it to stay as it once was. What Blizzard should do is open a polish server and give free transfers to players on servers like Burning-Legion to that server.