FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Mentor System Requirements Changed in Shadowlands Beta Build 35598

50829-you-can-become-a-guide-and-help-ne

A new Mentor System is coming in the Shadowlands, and the requirements to become a guide has changed this week on the Beta.

As a Guide, your primary role is to answer questions in the Newcomer Chat channel.

Previously, you had to earn Battle for Azeroth Pathfinder, Part OneBattle for Azeroth Pathfinder, Part One, have a Level 60 character, and your account had to be in good standing to become a Guide.

y4GQArg.png

All of the above requirements have been removed and replaced. Currently, you must complete the following to become a Guide:

tDehAtD.jpg?1

Better changes, could probably have some different requirements as I'm sure a lot of veteran players didn't play a lot during engame BFA, but I'm glad to see they added more difficulty to become a guide. Misinformation is worse than not knowing at all. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wildwitch said:

Haha! They "borrowed" this idea from Final Fantasy. Yes...they have had that for years.

Many of the best features of the game are taken from other places, from old addons to other games. 

In FF, is there any spam in the channel? I can see people try to abuse it for gold selling or boosts...

I am prety interested how many ppl will use it for trolling. Some warnig about harsh punisments with intentionaly giving wrong info or troling would be good + lets say few days to few weeks of mute in that chat after 5+- reports of doing so.

I can't see any benefit from this, so why even bother?`I mean people these days tend to watch streams or videos on youtube and act like they ate wisdom with a big *filtered* spoon...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Senou said:

I can't see any benefit from this, so why even bother?

I think some new players may find the game a bit intimidating with all the things the game has to offer (classes, specs, talents, roles, mounts, pets, transmog, pvp, pve, AH, etc.) so having someone to turn to could really take the load off their shoulder.

And I see benefits for the mentors as well. Their "apprentices" could end up joining their guild/community or just wind up on their friends list. And when they reach their level they'll have people to run content with.

17 hours ago, Senou said:

I can't see any benefit from this, so why even bother?`I mean people these days tend to watch streams or videos on youtube and act like they ate wisdom with a big *filtered* spoon...

I think the benefit is just the act of helping and noticing that your actions are doing good. To some people that's enough. And sure they can watch videos, but sometimes they don't always explain everything and you don't really get 1 on 1 interaction. That's what I loved about my smaller college vs my bigger college. I actually learned easier with the 1 on 1. Maybe they'll add some cosmetic rewards or something for helping down the road not sure though

23 hours ago, Senou said:

Its mostly for players who will return playing after some pause...most of them will ask friends/guild m8s, look on web and videos. But sometimes, They would just ask to get fast reply from comunity, for what ever reasons They can have. 

In case of realy "fresh" noobies who dont have any xp playing wow (as most of these 1stly play on free server, then go play on official bc of friend which still will more or less guide them in core know/how), it will relief global chat (even just a bit) and most ppl will be able to answare their questions

But most ppl who will ask, are casual players who want to start play at highter lvl or returning players who would like to know how to set up their priority list like - take this quest from that NPC to start your chainQ for legendary back (it take about 1/2 hour  to do solo) then update gear/esence etc (happened to guild m8, which wanted to update gear 1st in M+ , while he could do so more or less by doing lego cloak Qline + assaults to catch up to us faster). At the end...it will be questions like - where can i get rank 2/3 of this/that skill in my prof., where is this/that NPC/rare/item/etc. , which stat/power should i prioritize as …. 

So...yeah...there are a lot of sides with guides on everything and up to date videos, where you can find anything , but it take time to look and watch, while on asking in game you can do that while farming or just doing content and enjoy game in your own way. And sometimes it can be something specific which is not part of the guide or what gives players not good feeling and so he ask to be sure.

can see some players critize the need of some achieves reque. like 3k quest complete or to have AotC bc FLR raid is harder than normal/hc….well any1 who si sane would like opinion from some1 who have actual experience of the thing i ask before some "theory know" guy...i am not saying that opinion/respond of some1 who do just LFR must be wrong or irelavant on normal/HC if he have know/how from guies, videos or explanation from his friends. But every level of play is different (more or less) and game play change on set up...be it your talens, powers, class and spec, be it solo or group, random group or stable group and its composition...all this more or less chage how you will aproach your curent content. And if i ask some1 about anything, i will most likely try to ask some1 who do that content and is experienced in it as much as possible before i ask some1 who know the theory but doesnt have any experience.

All in all...is this system a good thing? - In my personal opinion YES

Does it harm game play or give some kind of advantage (like pay to win, etc) - absolutly NOT

Does it mean, you have to use it or be a guide for players? - NOPE

... its voluntary to be a so called "Guide" and its easy to become one, but can be harder to be one. (Any1 with IQ highter than senile shimpanzee can give opinions, but good guide can give precise and understable answer ppl are looking for ? )

And thats what i think and feel about this all ?

On 8/20/2020 at 10:22 AM, Perak said:

I am prety interested how many ppl will use it for trolling. Some warnig about harsh punisments with intentionaly giving wrong info or troling would be good + lets say few days to few weeks of mute in that chat after 5+- reports of doing so.

after enjoying the new classic exp im positive about the guide system. i barely saw any trolls while leveling when people asked questions in the chat

On 8/20/2020 at 9:20 AM, Bobbis said:

Many of the best features of the game are taken from other places, from old addons to other games. 

In FF, is there any spam in the channel? I can see people try to abuse it for gold selling or boosts...

In FF, mentors are able to kick people from the channel if they are deemed to be trolling or spamming and if the player wishes to rejoin the chat they must be invited back by a mentor after their initial kick CD expires, so unless Blizzard implements some kind of system to prevent spam or give mentors some form of "control" to moderate the chat I can see trolling or spamming to be an issue.