FORUMS
Damien

Dragonflight Tank Rankings

Guest Enix

Regarding this tier list, a few points are just wrong.

Mobility doesn't matter in raid at all so demon hunter is not the best raid tank. In later bosses physical mitigation is the most important factor, prot warriors with a 1 minute shield wall cooldown with their legendary is far better than DH in terms of physical damage reduction, which is why method brought a warrior to their world first attempts. Whoever wrote this list doesn't seem to know much about the classes and clearly cares more about things that help a DPS or healer rather than what makes a good tank.

2 minutes ago, Guest Enix said:

Regarding this tier list, a few points are just wrong.

Mobility doesn't matter in raid at all so demon hunter is not the best raid tank. In later bosses physical mitigation is the most important factor, prot warriors with a 1 minute shield wall cooldown with their legendary is far better than DH in terms of physical damage reduction, which is why method brought a warrior to their world first attempts. Whoever wrote this list doesn't seem to know much about the classes and clearly cares more about things that help a DPS or healer rather than what makes a good tank.

I assume you're referring to Limit's use of a Prot Warrior, and you are wildly incorrect. Prot Warrior is far worse off than DH at physical mitigation, specifically when it comes to the hardest three bosses. This is easily evident if you look at damage taken and effective healing required, or even just with the number of each tank that has cleared the instance.

Second, mobility is incredibly important. Having a vengeance DH is almost required to do Mythic Sire with the strict movement requirements from platform to platform. 95%+ of guilds always use a Vengeance DH on what is now the hardest boss of the tier, and while it is not entirely because of mobility it is certainly a factor. SLG was only just recently changed, but Vengeance or Monk was required to progress SLG in its original state because of the tank movement required during the first intermission.

If the requirements for tanking were strictly to survive, then the list would be very different. That's not what this list is about though, this list is about the absolute best tanks to use if you are looking to progress Mythic Castle Nathria at the highest level. If you feel like surviving is all you are capable of doing then that's a valid concern and a different conversation, but there is so much more you can bring to the table as a tank, especially when 225+ ilvl is the norm this late in the game.

Guest arara

Am I the only one qurious why destruction warlock make a guide about tanks ? 

BTW i lost cuple of braincells reading about your opinion on the monks ... is clear you dont even know how stagger works. And you most likely live under a rock but but monks got celestial brew ... wich is realy shord CD i duno what you are on about monks lacking CDs ...

2 hours ago, Guest arara said:

Am I the only one qurious why destruction warlock make a guide about tanks ? 

BTW i lost cuple of braincells reading about your opinion on the monks ... is clear you dont even know how stagger works. And you most likely live under a rock but but monks got celestial brew ... wich is realy shord CD i duno what you are on about monks lacking CDs ...

Because I'm the raid leader for the US 2nd guild, and I don't make these tier lists purely based on my own knowledge/opinions. I get significant input from people in my guild, other theory crafters, and other high-end raiders. For the tank list specifically, a majority of the input comes from Lozy, BDGG's GM and tank for multiple expansions. 

You're welcome to disagree about rankings or our input on the various classes though. As the new raid is not out yet, this is of course just a projection based on our own testing and opinions. 

Thank you very much for putting together and posting this 9.1 tank raiding tier list, especially this early, Impakt. It's very helpful.

Is there a chance that you've discussed some of your thoughts with Petko, the writer of the 9.1 tank mythic plus tier list?

It's just that I see two serious discrepancies, at the time of this comment: the Guardian going down from the top in his tier list to the 4th position in yours, and the Protection Paladin going up from the bottom of the M+ 9.1 list to the 3rd position in your 9.1 raiding list.

These discrepancies stand out that much more when we look at how your lists have a general congruent direction for all the other tanks, especially with how the Blood and Brewmaster are generally not in a very good place right now, and have desperately needed to be reworked right from the start of the expansion but Blizzard, for some reason, still refuses to tweak them a bit, especially the issue with Blood's spikeyness and lack of a spammable or short-CD AoE for AoE aggro, and Brewmaster's serious vulnerability to heavy magic damage and the discrepancy between its damage output and its threat generation.

And don't get me wrong, I fully understand that Mythic+ considerations differ significantly from raiding ones, and thus I fully expect both tier lists to be slightly different here and there, with emphasis on slightly. It's just that I felt like those two discrepancies regarding the Guardian and Protection Paladin kind of stood out like a sore thumb and confused me a little.

And my comment is not some sort of subtle suggestion that either of the tier lists necessarily needs to change. Of course, if you discuss things with Petko, maybe a fruitful conversation can lead to changes in either or both lists. However, I would be at least interested in reading explanations on both tier lists that convincingly justify the placement of the Guardian and Protection Paladin in its position, especially compared to the other tier list. Some sort of comparison or explanation of why that spec is that much more valuable or weaker in the other activity would really help.

Thanks again.